Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted! - Page 37

Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

This is a discussion on Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think it's fair to denegrate the people sitting at their desks processing applications. Nobody here knows how hard they're working, or aren't working. ...

Page 37 of 297 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
Like Tree2177Likes

Thread: Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

I don't think it's fair to denegrate the people sitting at their desks processing applications. Nobody here knows how hard they're working, or aren't working. They've only had ONE day off in the past 36 days. Anybody here worked 35 of the past 36 days? They're working with the system they're given. It's the system that's broken. The blame, if there is any blame, lies on the shoulders of those who set it up and organized it (or didn't). Those who grossly underestimated the demand for CWLs. Those who understaffed the positions as a result of that underestimation. It's been broken from the beginning.

Two more longstanding "mistakes" are only adding to the burden faced by DOJ. There's no need for a WI handgun hotline, which was never staffed for such a crush, and it was a big mistake to depend on them to do "so many" in so short a time. It should not even exist. Most other states simply use NICS.

The second mistake is the sole reason the 1st still exists... the 48 hr waiting period. It's the dumbest idea ever invented by anti-gunners, and WI carries it one step further by applying it to handguns only. If some madman is gonna be dissuaded by a 2 day "cooling off" period, what stops him from just buying a shotgun or rifle over the counter with a NICS check?

Both should've been eliminated long ago. The Brady Law required the waits and background checks, but the wait requirement under Fed law was lifted when NICS went on line in Nov. 1998. 13 years later and WI still has it?

Nothing again today!!

Quote Originally Posted by dogluvr View Post
    if the 45 day mark comes and there are several of us who are unfortunate enough to not have a permit yet, would you guys be interested in a mass car-pooling down to madison to collectively find out just where our permits are? I am in green bay. There could probably be areas where we could meet and pick up others.
    should i not hear from the doj at that point i would be willing to ride down there! Check dated 11/03 mailed 11/04! Posted 11/17! Honestly 16 days in background check? Purchased semi and shotgun in nov and background took 10 mins. Sorta blows the first in and first out policy! Most of us in that time frame seem to be lost in space..

Quote Originally Posted by rfb45colt View Post
    I don't think it's fair to denegrate the people sitting at their desks processing applications. Nobody here knows how hard they're working, or aren't working. They've only had ONE day off in the past 36 days. Anybody here worked 35 of the past 36 days? They're working with the system they're given. It's the system that's broken. The blame, if there is any blame, lies on the shoulders of those who set it up and organized it (or didn't). Those who grossly underestimated the demand for CWLs. Those who understaffed the positions as a result of that underestimation. It's been broken from the beginning.

Two more longstanding "mistakes" are only adding to the burden faced by DOJ. There's no need for a WI handgun hotline, which was never staffed for such a crush, and it was a big mistake to depend on them to do "so many" in so short a time. It should not even exist. Most other states simply use NICS.

The second mistake is the sole reason the 1st still exists... the 48 hr waiting period. It's the dumbest idea ever invented by anti-gunners, and WI carries it one step further by applying it to handguns only. If some madman is gonna be dissuaded by a 2 day "cooling off" period, what stops him from just buying a shotgun or rifle over the counter with a NICS check?

Both should've been eliminated long ago. The Brady Law required the waits and background checks, but the wait requirement under Fed law was lifted when NICS went on line in Nov. 1998. 13 years later and WI still has it?
    My husband just bought a revolver from someone on armslist, went to his house and picked it up no waiting...so a madman could do the same thing! That 48 hr law is bogus BS.

Quote Originally Posted by WD54241 View Post
    should i not hear from the doj at that point i would be willing to ride down there! Check dated 11/03 mailed 11/04! Posted 11/17! Honestly 16 days in background check? Purchased semi and shotgun in nov and background took 10 mins. Sorta blows the first in and first out policy! Most of us in that time frame seem to be lost in space..
    23 days for me... and I just bought a new handgun in Sept., and it took the dealer less than 5 minutes on the phone, and most of that time was him reading my info to the person on the other end. Within 23 seconds after he finished giving info, I was "cleared". 23 days? I DO NOT believe that's the hold-up, and no amount of "excuse-making" will convince me. Only 23 people in entire country with my name show up on Google... and only ONE has same middle name (OB/GYN in Seattle). Only 3 in WI with same first/last name, and none of "us" are on CCAPS. What's the odds of that one person, a doctor in Seattle, having a criminal record and holding up my app? I'd say about a million to one. DOJ has a direct link to DMV records. DMV has social security numbers on file. Anyone with a record will have their S.S. number listed with their info. S.S. numbers are unique. If any questions arise for anyone, a check of S.S. through DMV's database compared to that of any "hits" should clear it up instantly.

I did find somethibg interesting when "googling" my name. There's a guy in NY with same first/last name who's a billionaire, and is listed in "Forbes" (whatever that is). If they want to "confuse" him & I, I'm OK with that one. I could use a raise.

If they do make that mistake you can bet the only thing you will get is his tax bill.

Got permit

11/21/2011: Check cleared
    12/1/2011: Permit issued
    12/6/2011: Permit arrived in the mail

License #17XXX

Still Nothing Today.

35=Days since Mailed 23=Days since Check Cashed WTH??

11-2 Mine and wife's mailed in separate envelopes.
    11-17 checks cleared- both
    11-26 wife got her's
    12-6 still waiting for mine

Quote Originally Posted by spiceygas View Post
    11/21/2011: Check cleared
    12/1/2011: Permit issued
    12/6/2011: Permit arrived in the mail

License #17XXX
    Date mailed?

btw... this is the first one I've seen on 4 differant forums with a Dec. issue date. 6 days in the mail?

edit to add: another Dec. 1st issued CWL was just posted as received today 12/6, on ar15.com WI hometown forum. Was mailed in on 11/5, check cashed on 11/18. (both dates are +4 of mine).
    Last edited by rfb45colt; December 6th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.

FWIW Tx has had a CHL permit for several years,they are required by law to issue or deny within 60 days of receipt/opening application,after the last election,they were swamped with applications and the mandatory 60 days was taking almost twice as long,they added more staff and it took at least 6 months to wade thru the backlog until they were back on the original time frame.IMHO car pooling down to demand why you haven't gotten your permit won't help you in any way,and may actually add fuel to the Brady's showing a bunch of angry people that want their gun permits now.
    The negative ad would read "Do you really want these people to have access to a gun if they can't control themselves any better than this"?
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    FWIW Tx has had a CHL permit for several years,they are required by law to issue or deny within 60 days of receipt/opening application,after the last election,they were swamped with applications and the mandatory 60 days was taking almost twice as long,they added more staff and it took at least 6 months to wade thru the backlog until they were back on the original time frame.IMHO car pooling down to demand why you haven't gotten your permit won't help you in any way,and may actually add fuel to the Brady's showing a bunch of angry people that want their gun permits now.
    The negative ad would read "Do you really want these people to have access to a gun if they can't control themselves any better than this"?
    I agree. It should be handled in an adult fashion, by a polite, not demanding nor demeaning nor shouting & screaming, telephone inquiry asking if it could possibly be lost in the mail ?? (a legitimate concern because so many apps received much later were issued). They should be able to determine IF it was issued and mailed. If not, what can you do? If it was lost, they should know this ASAP, so it can be cancelled and re-issued... ASAP also, hopefully.

btw... nothing today as usual. Tomorrow's mail will be 37 days since mailed, 24th day since check cashed. (5 days longer than it took to get a FL CWL, and 24 days more than it took to get MN CHL).

TGP
    Quote Originally Posted by airbrn2b View Post
    Nope, I'm still out here also. Mailed 11/1, cashed 11/16 and still waiting. Check cashed almost 3 weeks ago.

Me too. Mailed 11/1 from Sparta. Nothing yet!

Quote Originally Posted by rfb45colt View Post
    I agree. It should be handled in an adult fashion, by a polite, not demanding nor demeaning nor shouting & screaming, telephone inquiry asking if it could possibly be lost in the mail ?? (a legitimate concern because so many apps received much later were issued). They should be able to determine IF it was issued and mailed. If not, what can you do? If it was lost, they should know this ASAP, so it can be cancelled and re-issued... ASAP also, hopefully.

btw... nothing today as usual. Tomorrow's mail will be 37 days since mailed, 24th day since check cashed. (5 days longer than it took to get a FL CWL, and 24 days more than it took to get MN CHL).
    No permit again today.

37 days since mailing

28 days since they cashed my check

I have finally come to the realization that I will not see that permit before the 45 day mark and that I will have to call/drive to Madison to find out what happened.

If it actually showed up before then, I would be utterly shocked.

28 days for a background check?

I cleared a background check a month ago for my last pistol in less than 30 minutes....and they said they had an extremely high call volume that day.

I had nuclear clearance in a nuclear plant within two days.

In no way am I saying let's carpool to Madison to be a bunch of A holes in the DOJ office. What I suggested was that if others wanted to drive down there together to find out in person, then that might be able to be arranged. And you are absolutely correct, we need to show the antis that we are a respectable, law abiding group.

Update, wife/mine mailed 2nd, both checks cleared 16th,wife got hers 25th. No permit in mail for me today. Just bought a new sp-101 from my local dealer and the BG check went fast. Can't believe it is taking this long.

Links