Defensive Carry banner

Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

461K views 4K replies 397 participants last post by  sdprof 
#1 ·
I know this is day one for submitting applications, but why not start a thread to see just how long WI takes to review, background check, and issue CCW permits. If you get ANY action, post it, and keep it going to the top. Wisconsin, boldly going where only 48 other states have gone before!

#3,367 ·
So we are above 71K great. just think if everyone of us encouraged ONE other person to sign up we would be over 141K by years end that would be a good start on keeping our right it hangs by a thread.

#3,368 ·
To those wondering I didnt send priority or anything special when I sent my app out, I sent normal mail on a thur and kicked myself for not doing priority or certified w/ delivery confirmation, Im sending my wifes app out today(Fri) or Sat and we will see how long hers takes an ill for sure keep you guys posted, but sending hers normal mail also. See if it comes as soon as mine did. Thanks again everyone!!!!

#3,371 ·
The only reason I tell people to mail priority with delivery confirmation is so that you can see what day the DOJ recieves your application. I know of one that got lost ( "FRED"). Looks like 10-14 days right now. Well under the 21 days requirement.

I will see "FRED" and another guy (who just sent an app this week) tonight. I will provide the update soon. Our goal should be to double our numbers by years end!

#3,374 ·
I whole heartedly wish and pray that EVERY LAW BIDING resident of Wisconsin applies for a permit! that said the only way way to protect our newly restored rights is through EDUCATION of the general public which will be most difficult considering the mind set of the major metropolitian city's. BEING FULLY INFORMED OF THE CANIDATES prior to casting our ballots! That is how to protect our rights! It's high time we the people lead rather than follow!

DISCLAIMER: This posting contains nor implies whom to vote for and does not endorse any particular political party!

#3,384 · (Edited)
Amanda mailed hers from home on Feb 4th It was issued on FEB 8th received FEB 10 number 72xxx
Six days from the time she put it int the mail box till it was in her hand.
In the snow and ice

721xx the numbers are climbing but we can do better

Reactions: Crowman
#3,390 ·
See the snow worked for you!!!!:danceban:

#3,393 ·
Self defense ammo for .38 S&W Bodyguard and other snub nose 38's

If you carry an aluminum-frame snub nose .38 (e.g. S&W Model 38 Bodyguard, 642, 442, 37, or Colt Cobra) I urge you to carry a standard pressure (non +P) .38 round. The best standard pressure .38 load is the Federal 125 grain Nyclad lead hollowpoint (P38M). This P38M hollowpoint - known as the "Chief's Special load" - was specifically designed to expand at lower velocities and is the industry leader in standard pressure .38 rounds. Another acceptable standard pressure .38 load is the Winchester Silvertip 110 grain JHP (X38S9HP). A third possibility is the Federal Low Recoil Personal Defense 110 grain Hydra-Shok JHP load (PD38HS3 H) (Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm)

The Federal Premium .38 125gr NYCLAD HP - P38M (non +P) ammo is hard to find. I did find some on the internet at: Tactical Defense Solutions ($20.00 (plus shipping), 20 rounds)
PISTOL AMMUNITION - Assorted Carry Ammo - FEDERAL PREMIUM .38 125GR NYCLAD HP - (P38M) - 20 ROUNDS

The .38 Special nyclad loading pushes the 125 grain hollow point at 830 fps for a muzzle energy of 191 ft-lbs. For someone that is especially recoil sensitive (such as someone who is arthritic), this is a mild recoiling cartridge that will reliably expand. It is a nylon clad soft lead hollow point which allows for less cleaning.

To view other recommended self defense ammo by size: Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

Reactions: WD54241
#3,395 ·
If you carry an aluminum-frame snub nose .38 (e.g. S&W Model 38 Bodyguard, 642, 442, 37, or Colt Cobra) I urge you to carry a standard pressure (non +P) .38 round. The best standard pressure .38 load is the Federal 125 grain Nyclad lead hollowpoint (P38M). This P38M hollowpoint - known as the "Chief's Special load" - was specifically designed to expand at lower velocities and is the industry leader in standard pressure .38 rounds. Another acceptable standard pressure .38 load is the Winchester Silvertip 110 grain JHP (X38S9HP). A third possibility is the Federal Low Recoil Personal Defense 110 grain Hydra-Shok JHP load (PD38HS3 H) (Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm[/

The Federal Premium .38 125gr NYCLAD HP - P38M (non +P) ammo is hard to find. I did find some on the internet at: Tactical Defense Solutions ($20.00 (plus shipping), 20 rounds)
[url=http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/pd1949577]PISTOL AMMUNITION - Assorted Carry Ammo - FEDERAL PREMIUM .38 125GR NYCLAD HP - (P38M) - 20 ROUNDS

The .38 Special nyclad loading pushes the 125 grain hollow point at 830 fps for a muzzle energy of 191 ft-lbs. For someone that is especially recoil sensitive (such as someone who is arthritic), this is a mild recoiling cartridge that will reliably expand. It is a nylon clad soft lead hollow point which allows for less cleaning.

To view other recommended self defense ammo by size: Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm
Recommend everyone print and save this information!! Answers most questions on ammo.

#3,400 ·
"FRED" update!!!!!

FRED" GOT HIS PERMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Applied late Nov 2011
Took Utah class and has Utah permit in hand
Check never cashed
Stop Payment on check
Reapply 1-26 2012
Check cashed ???
Permit in Hand 2-10-12
Permit # sorry forgot to get that ( got a text into him now) think he said high 71K

he is going to arrange a Florida out of state class and I will get my Florida permit with some others!

#3,401 ·
Got another newbe to take a class next weekend. He is going to take a class on Sat Feb 18th was the soonest he could get in. He plans to send his app in that next monday!

I sent one of those gun picture email to some friends and he brought it up last night! Now most of my buddies will be armed!

#3,405 ·
The Milwaukee Journal
State Justice Department says it's caught up on concealed-carry applications
e-mail print By Todd Richmond, Associated Press
Feb. 11, 2012 11:34 a.m. |(
3) Comments

Madison - State Justice Department officials say they've caught up with the deluge of concealed carry applications and are meeting turn-around deadlines again.

DOJ Division of Law Enforcement Administrator Brian O'Keefe said the agency was so overwhelmed with applications it couldn't meet its processing deadlines for most of January. But the agency has brought more workers on board to help with processing and the flow of applications has slowed, he said.

"We're meeting all of our obligations," O'Keefe said. "(It's) still a lot to process."

Under Wisconsin's new concealed carry law, people could start submitting permit applications to the Justice Department on Nov. 1. The agency is required to run a background check on each applicant and verify he or she has submitted proof of firearms training before issuing a permit. The law gives the agency 45 days to process applications received before Nov. 30 and 21 days to process applications received after that.

DOJ has scrambled to keep up with submissions since the first day the law took effect.

As of Feb. 6, the department's firearms unit has received 81,728 applications, an average of nearly 834 applications a day, and issued 71,058 permits. The unit received nearly 8,000 applications on one day, O'Keefe said.

Meanwhile, the unit has been overwhelmed with calls to its handgun hotline since the law took effect. Gun dealers call the hotline to initiate background checks on buyers; the firearms unit must complete those checks within 48 hours. The hotline recorded 13,023 calls in December, a new monthly record. Over the first six days of February the hotline received 3,500 calls, including 700 on Feb. 4 alone.

DOJ officials hired 11 additional workers to handle applications and hotline work, but two of them quit and only one was replaced. End-of-the-year holidays also slowed the unit's efforts.

O'Keefe pulled dozens of administrative workers from elsewhere within DOJ to help with concealed carry applications - the agency has spent $44,000 on overtime for application processing between November and January - but the unit still fell behind. It started missing deadlines on Dec. 29 and stayed behind for three weeks.

The unit caught up again on Jan. 21. Another 11 workers the agency hired on Jan. 3 finished their training and started helping around mid-month, O'Keefe said. The initial rush of application submissions slowed, too, from sometimes thousands a day to hundreds, he said.

The agency has now completed all the 45-day applications and nearly all the workers pulled from other assignments have returned to their regular duties, O'Keefe said.

DOJ spokeswoman Dana Brueck said she couldn't provide any figures on how many permits were delayed or for how long, although she said some applicants had to wait an additional four or five days.

The agency doesn't face any formal sanctions for missing the deadlines.

#3,406 ·
Reactions: WD54241
#3,409 ·
What it means is we need to get a few friends and family members to apply in the 70-80K range is no time to be slowing down.
Was at Gander Mountain with my daughter In Deforest tonight she wanted a new holster ask me to go along. The Gun section was the best show in town.
Daughter with a CC great daughter with a CC asking you to take a drive holster shopping PRICELESS
Lets not lose this right.

Reactions: rstanek
#3,410 ·
I'm hoping to get mine this week or next. After that I will be getting a LCR to keep in my coat pocket.

Surprisingly I have not had anyone really ask me about getting a carry permit. I am going to talk to my mom about getting one because she is getting older and has developed some disabilities. That coupled with going into work at 2am is just not a good combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.