Defensive Carry banner

Wisconsin CCW Permit Time...Keep us posted!

461K views 4K replies 397 participants last post by  sdprof 
#1 ·
I know this is day one for submitting applications, but why not start a thread to see just how long WI takes to review, background check, and issue CCW permits. If you get ANY action, post it, and keep it going to the top. Wisconsin, boldly going where only 48 other states have gone before!

#2,437 ·
I am looking for some clearity.......I think I know the answer but I would like someone to verify for me......I now have a ccw permit,,,,,where I am at now for OC?.......Is it still legal for a permit holder to also OC? and if so then what is LEO going to say about not cc?........I know LEO doesn't like OC anyways but are those rights forfeited if you have a cc permit?

#2,438 · (Edited)
Anybody can OC in this state. Permit holder or not. The only difference is a non-permit holder has to keep the firearm in open view at ALL times. The AG has made it clear the Wisconsin Constitution reads, "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose." This was the case even before Act 35 was passed. It is your right to carry a weapon OC so not much a LEO can do about it. A LEO might not like it, but it is the law in this state. One small caveat to be aware of. Open Carry is not allowed in taverns under any circumstances even if you have a permit. You have to be a permit holder to carry a firearm and it must be concealed and you must not consume alcohol.

#2,443 ·
Do not forget we are still fight for Constitutional carry in Wisconsin. It will be the only way we keep this right. Join the fight today.
Conceal carry only has about 24 months and the repeal and adding restriction begins. They are ready working on it.

#2,444 ·
We need many more people to file for the concealed carry, the fight has yet to begin with the "anti - gun lobby". This means each and every one of us has to set the example! we must raise the bar! we must be model citizens! for each misuse or infraction of the law it will hurt all of us.. The media is not on our side, nor are the major cities in the state! We are out numbered make no mistake about it. The storm clouds are looming and I for one will not taunt or use my right for any personal gain.

#2,447 ·
I am just curious......do any of you that CC also carry a knife on your person?,,,,I seen a utube video of a gal that had a concealed gun and she also had a really neat knife she was carrying. She demonstrated how she could cut someones hand if they tried to take her gun. It was interesting and not a bad idea in my opinion.

#2,448 ·
yes I always do have two benchmade 551 and benchmade 556 (shorter blade for those 3" max town laws in Wisconsin.

Knife Blade Cutting tool Utility knife Hunting knife

There are cheap knives, good knives and excellent knives that will last for years. This is one of the latter.

Reactions: THEONLYGHOST
#2,450 ·
Sent my application in Nov.15
Money order cleared Nov. 25

I'm hoping this coming week it's magically in my mailbox. While I didn't mention my own wait, I did mention the flawed way of issuing ccw licenses in an email to my state senator. It should have been done like the doj said, in order they receive them.

#2,453 ·
Don't mean to question this subject to death but several have had a discussion on here about informing LEO that they have a permit and are carrying if stopped. No one has said what they would do if they got stopped and at the time they weren't carrying. Would you still hand them your permit?

#2,457 · (Edited)
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun
Just my 2 cents. I am not carrying spare Mags a back up weapon and or a knife. If my 1 hand gun and the rounds in it are not enough . I done lost that battle or it is over.
There is a limit. If it gets that bad I am just going to open carry, This one. As I find a new place to live.

#2,470 ·
View attachment 55417 Just my 2 cents. I am not carrying spare Mags a back up weapon and or a knife. If my 1 hand gun and the rounds in it are not enough . I done lost that battle or it is over.
There is a limit. If it gets that bad I am just going to open carry, This one. As I find a new place to live.
There have been several threads dedicated to knives in the past. Best to do a search and read up on them. People here that know more than me agree that you get what you pay for. A knife should.can have many uses beyond self defense. I use mine often but never (yet) for self defense. That said consider the uses, the ease of carry the quality of the steel, the personal safety, and even the visual impact on others as they see you take it out for something as simple as opening a package. Also consider having a serrated portion on the blade as there are things that need cutting (like seat belts) where sharp will not always do.

#2,459 ·
I was just listening to Channel 12......some interview thing with Mike Gousha......On there was Cory Nettles, former secretary of Commerce under the Doyle adminastation......he referred to CCW as just a social issue......made me furious........my comments to him were......CCw is not just a social issue as you refer to it as.....it is a right of all people guaranted by the Constitution of the United States and has been denied to us for far too long.......maybe I don't need a job right now but I sure do need the right to protect myself...your comment was way out of line......................please also go there and leave a comment.....we must start banning together if we are going to protect what we have waited far to long for.......................Former Commerce Secretaries Discuss State's Economic Efforts - Video - WISN Milwaukee

#2,464 ·
Reactions: kreinert6
#2,471 ·
After over 5 years of carrying I can assure you that you will get over it. Like a kid with a new pair of sneakers. Makes one feel fast, special at first but feeling goes away pretty fast.

#2,473 ·
These next two week should be the receiving period for the last of the 45 day application crowd. Also remember more DOJ People are susposed to be dedicated to the processing of these applications. To my knowledge there is no USPS mail delivery today, Monday January 2, 2012. I'm sure all us of here will be watching. Wish you all well in 2012.

#2,477 ·
I have not found one in Door Co. In Brown Co. the only indoor range I could find information on is not open yet, here is a link: Family Shooting Academy

If anyone know of others, please let us know.

#2,475 ·
Big issue is the ventilation and recovery system. Bullet traps are readily available and rather affordable.

That's why I like being up in the a north woods right off the back deck into my bullet trap.

I shoot almost every. Day even if it's just one magazine full.

I would not open carry in the communist state of Madison. Heck I do not even like going there.

#2,482 ·
Big News - teaser

Breaking news. Just heard on the local radio station that the DOJ is expecting that it will not be able to comply with their processing time mandate.

Been lurking for a long time, but this "breaking news" prompted me to post. Precious!

Sent my package on 11/15. Check cashed 11/25. Still waiting. Hopefully, tomorrow or Wednesday.

Happy New Year all. Keep safe!

#2,483 ·
Breaking news. Just heard on the local radio station that the DOJ is expecting that it will not be able to comply with their processing time mandate.

Been lurking for a long time, but this "breaking news" prompted me to post. Precious!

Sent my package on 11/15. Check cashed 11/25. Still waiting. Hopefully, tomorrow or Wednesday.

Happy New Year all. Keep safe!
I'm shocked, horrified, and was totally unprepared tor this sort of information from Wisconsin's highest level of law enforcement. ----NOT

#2,488 ·
Lets see: 65,000 applications @ $50 each = $3,250,000.00 and they are whining about $30,000 in overtime?

#2,491 ·
Just wait. Bet they will want a special tax on handgun sales to cover the added costs at the DOJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.