Crockett Keller May Loose CHL Instructor Lic. for Radio Ad

This is a discussion on Crockett Keller May Loose CHL Instructor Lic. for Radio Ad within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I lived in Texas and needed a CCW class, I'd spend my money at his place. I agree with pretty much everything he said. ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Crockett Keller May Loose CHL Instructor Lic. for Radio Ad

If I lived in Texas and needed a CCW class, I'd spend my money at his place. I agree with pretty much everything he said. I won't get into the legal aspects of the issue, but I would spend my hard earned dollar to support his business.

Call me what you want.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    If I lived in Texas and needed a CCW class, I'd spend my money at his place. I agree with pretty much everything he said. I won't get into the legal aspects of the issue, but I would spend my hard earned dollar to support his business.

Call me what you want.
    I can definitely see why people would be offended at the things he said, but I do not think any legal woes should be valid. Let people vote with their money.

I would not go out of my way to spend my money there if the prices were better elsewhere, just like any store I go to. Would I let this ad keep me from going there? Heck no.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I can definitely see why people would be offended at the things he said, but I do not think any legal woes should be valid. Let people vote with their money.

I would not go out of my way to spend my money there if the prices were better elsewhere, just like any store I go to. Would I let this ad keep me from going there? Heck no.
    It's not his actual beliefs or the words he uses that offend me. It's the fact that a guy who sets himself up as an instructor, a trainer, and as follows an ambassador for gun rights, gun sports and the 2A would be so stupid as to publicly feed and confirm a stereotype of gunowners that the anti gun crowd uses to make their case. If he isn't on the Brady payroll he should be. Those who support his right to be a fool have to know that if you are a supporter of the 2A and our RKBA, Crockett Keller is not your friend.
    Hopyard, MadMac, rably and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    It's not his actual beliefs or the words he uses that offend me. It's the fact that a guy who sets himself up as an instructor, a trainer, and as follows an ambassador for gun rights, gun sports and the 2A would be so stupid as to publicly feed and confirm a stereotype of gunowners that the anti gun crowd uses to make their case. If he isn't on the Brady payroll he should be. Those who support his right to be a fool have to know that if you are a supporter of the 2A and our RKBA, Crockett Keller is not your friend.
    I can get behind that. It was unnecessary of him to include all of that in his ad, and agree that it does not make the situation better for anyone else in the 2A camp. I still do not think that anything legal should come of it though.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

TOF
    Be cautious, the thought police can't be very far away.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    Be cautious, the thought police can't be very far away.
    The reaction to him is not about policing his thoughts or his utterances. It is about his unlawful intentions. It is not free speech nor is it "thought police" to charge someone who says they will for example firebomb a building. He didn't go that far, but he did state that he would not obey the law by deliberately refusing to serve people who are legally entitled to be served by him.
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The reaction to him is not about policing his thoughts or his utterances. It is about his unlawful intentions. It is not free speech nor is it "thought police" to charge someone who says they will for example firebomb a building. He didn't go that far, but he did state that he would not obey the law by deliberately refusing to serve people who are legally entitled to be served by him.
    No matter how you dress it up, there is a big difference between saying you are are going to "firebomb a building" and saying that you are going to refuse someone service based on race. Now you stated that he did not go that far, but that comparison is still apples and oranges even with you excusing it.

You completely miss the situation, as have the others who post things along the lines that "it is his right."

If you are a "hair stylist," (we used to call them barbers) you are providing a public service and you may not hang a sign on your door saying we won't cut the hair of, say for example, Unitarians. There are two reasons for why you would get into trouble, and one of these is the fact that you hold a state issued license to cut hair and the state prohibits that type of discrimination.
    :SNIP:
    I understand the law and agree that many forms of discrimination are wrong.
    My only question is should we punish him before actual discrimination takes place? Has a crime taken place if he has not actually refused service to a real person?
    If I were to put up a sign saying no women allowed but I do allow them to enter when they ask. Have I committed a crime?

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    No matter how you dress it up, there is a big difference between saying you are are going to "firebomb a building" and saying that you are going to refuse someone service based on race. Now you stated that he did not go that far, but that comparison is still apples and oranges even with you excusing it.
    Both are illegal.
    rably likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Both are illegal.
    So is jay walking and blowing up a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I agreed that he is not a good ambassador for our cause. What he did was in poor taste. I do however support his freedom to do things that I disagree with right up until he actually harms someone.

Michael

I'm tired of everybody having to be good example and "ambassador" of 2A rights so the anti's and brady bunch can't use it against us.
    Fact is - guns are dangerous when in the wrong hands. Many think they are dangerous sitting in a safe.
    I think that most anti folks won't come around to support gun ownership until they have a close call w/ their own safety, and for many that won't do it.
    Saying that this instructor/FFL is going to affect public opinion re. gun ownership/concealed carry is crazy. The haters still hate and the lovers still love.
    If he wants to make bold statements - have at it. He is free to run his business the way he wants, and get involved in any legal issues that may follow.
    There are alot of gun owners, and I would bet that there are more in his area that agree with him than do not.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I understand the law and agree that many forms of discrimination are wrong.
    My only question is should we punish him before actual discrimination takes place? Has a crime taken place if he has not actually refused service to a real person?
    If I were to put up a sign saying no women allowed but I do allow them to enter when they ask. Have I committed a crime?

Michael
    Maybe. And I'm not trying to be flippant. That sign could be seen as a joke that gets laughs, but even jokes in poor taste can be the basis for EEOC suits. It happens all the time with sexual harassment allegations. The perpetrator says it was a joke; the plaintiff says it created a hostile work environment.

Since IANAL practicing law in this general area I can't answer your question. My best guess answer to your question is---it all depends.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    What if your sign said "No Negroes?" How do you think that would work out for you?

Originally Posted by mlr1m

Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    What if your sign said "No Negroes?" How do you think that would work out for you?
    To answer your question.
    I would hope that the citizens of the area would refuse to do business with me thereby putting me out of business.
    As to the point I was trying to make.
    If I ignore my own sign and allow them to enter have I committed a crime?

Michael

Links