Crockett Keller May Loose CHL Instructor Lic. for Radio Ad

This is a discussion on Crockett Keller May Loose CHL Instructor Lic. for Radio Ad within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by boatail It's a private business and yes, he also has rights. He can choose to do business as he pleases. In a ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Crockett Keller May Loose CHL Instructor Lic. for Radio Ad

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    It's a private business and yes, he also has rights. He can choose to do business as he pleases.
    In a civilized society, regulations and rules exist to keep people from taking advantage of others and treating people unfairly. Otherwise it would be complete anarchy and out of control. If you like the lack of rules and government intervention move to somalia or somewhere else where you can have the right to "do as you please" but so can others so beware ;)

He has the right to start a business and the right to make money, but he does not have the right to treat people differently because of his ignorant upbringing.

I wonder how he would react if every store he went into told him "sorry we don't serve fatties"? Honestly I have no respect for a person that doesn't take care of their body. no excuses for that, but if he were discriminated because of it I bet he whines like a stuck pig.
    Hopyard and TonyDTrigger like this.

2. Remove Ads

Well, to start with, in Somalia, if someone did not do as the "govt." said, they would probably disappear. Freedom is a two way street, and to tell someone that they must conform to your ideals, is not freedom. We're talking about private businesses here, not govt., or subsidized ,or tax deductible entities. The govt. has no business or right telling them how to behave. Someone can patronize them or not, even sue them, but probably lose the suit, but thats how the free market works. Do you have to like the way a business operates to allow them to do so? If so, who determines that? You? Sorry, this is still America, you don't have that power ( yet ) Relax and let the free market work its magic.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

The laws he is violating have been in place in America for over 40 years.

Show me the law that applies to his business
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Another civics class failure. Read the entire post. It is in here. Wow.
    Hopyard likes this.

Show me the law that applies to his business
    Nobody is saying he is going to jail or his business will be shut down. He does not have a RIGHT to have a state license. Licenses come with terms attached... thats kindof the way it works by definition.

I don't agree with licensing, but that is the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Ythe generation of kids who have been brainwashed from birth by the schools and the media to believe that guns are uncool, dangerous and evil begin running the show. .
    I think there's 2 sides to this...because many very popular video games (and movies, TV, etc) have guns and other weapons and are considered cool, as is 'skill' (in the games *sigh*) with them.

As a matter of fact, it's almost like the more they are forbidden..."schools are ZERO TOLERANCE for guns"....the more attraction they take on.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    What about the sign on the door or behind the counter that reads " We have the RIGHT to refuse service to ANYONE" ; )
    H/D
    If you're going to post one of those signs....when you kick someone out, make sure you tell 'em you just dont like them, because if you do it for any state or federal discriminatory reason, you will still be breaking the law. (Or that they need shoes or a shirt....but nothing that applies to one of the protected classes.)

That sign doesnt absolve a business owner from discriminating.
    steelhawk likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It is interesting that few have spoken about his comment that if you voted for Obama he wouldn't teach you.

I suspect that none of our discrimination laws specify that it is illegal to discriminate based on political viewpoints; perhaps they should, perhaps not. But in his case he is also doing a quasi-government function. Just thinking out loud. I don't know enough to know how things would play out in the real world.

I was one of the few that mentioned it. But it also recalls my position on businesses that post *legal or non-legal* NO GUNS signs.

If you go to a class and do not exercise your 1st A right and keep your mouth shut about who you voted for....no one is the wiser and no one is harmed.

But if you do shoot your mouth off...or just discuss (I guess I should qualify it, it can be a normal part of a conversation)...the business owner could legally ask you to leave. Now....how often does that happen?

So I see concealed carrying into businesses the same way. It's only an issue if I (make the mistake of) letting it be known.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    In a civilized society, regulations and rules exist to keep people from taking advantage of others and treating people unfairly. Otherwise it would be complete anarchy and out of control. If you like the lack of rules and government intervention move to somalia or somewhere else where you can have the right to "do as you please" but so can others so beware ;)

He has the right to start a business and the right to make money, but he does not have the right to treat people differently because of his ignorant upbringing.

I wonder how he would react if every store he went into told him "sorry we don't serve fatties"? Honestly I have no respect for a person that doesn't take care of their body. no excuses for that, but if he were discriminated because of it I bet he whines like a stuck pig.
    Well legally, he does have the right to treat 'fatties' differently. Overweight people are not a protected class.

But this is where the free market should and hopefully would come into play and affect that bottom line.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    Hope not I like him.
    Last edited by SatCong; November 5th, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I did some research on Texas discrimination laws and according to the " Unruh Act ", it may be illegal. The laws vary somewhat between the states and it finally falls to the courts' discretion, but based on established law, he's going to have his hands full if it becomes a legal issue.
    I believe in private and individual rights and not being dictated to by a " higher authority " but in this case, I stand corrected as to his rights with regard to who he will teach or not. He can still DO it, but it looks like he'll be on thin ice.

VIP Member
    I did some research on Texas discrimination laws and according to the " Unruh Act ", it may be illegal. The laws vary somewhat between the states and it finally falls to the courts' discretion, but based on established law, he's going to have his hands full if it becomes a legal issue.
    I believe in private and individual rights and not being dictated to by a " higher authority " but in this case, I stand corrected as to his rights with regard to who he will teach or not. He can still DO it, but it looks like he'll be on thin ice.
    I did a quick search of the act you mentioned and it appears to be California law. I have no idea if TX has anything similar. I actually couldn't find anything, but that might just mean I'm in over my head in the search of our TX Constitution and statutes.

But here's where I see one core issue/problem. It is in 14A and 2A. The CHL instructor is performing a government sanctioned service; precisely as the Notary Public does. Moreover, the service interacts with 2A, and as done by government also interact with the 14th's privileges of citizenship clause.

Are there not laws (and case law) that would prevent a Notary from telling someone they won't sign their Deed of Trust because they voted for Obama, or Bush, or whoever? How can a government function if a state doesn't enforce access to all citizens.

The bottom line here is that whatever laws require your county clerk to treat all comers equally must certainly apply to the Notary, and to the CHL instructor as these are both something more than private businesses and private business affairs. They are governmental in nature.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

In today's America you can't mess with anything "protected", legal or not, if it is adored by the liberal left. If it's Christian, or conservative, it is unfortunately, fair game. This guy made a mistake bringing the Muslim religion into it. That is a legal, protected class.

He should have stopped with liberals and democrats, and maybe just said "terrorist sympathizers" instead. That would have offended the media and liberal left, but I don't think it would violate TX law.

Holy Cow...

this thread still rolls along?

Laughers keep laughing and whiners keep whining.

Will the fact that a old fat white guy that spoke his mind still be a source of concern months from now?

Some of these comments make me realize just how far society has degraded.Dont we have more important issues to discuss?
    Majorlk likes this.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links