Concealed Campus Carry video idea

This is a discussion on Concealed Campus Carry video idea within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (DISCLAIMER) I realize Logic does not compute with the Anti's, but you gotta keep chipping away at them. If you don't counter them, they will ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By baren
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty
  • 3 Post By MitchellCT

Thread: Concealed Campus Carry video idea

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar

Concealed Campus Carry video idea

(DISCLAIMER) I realize Logic does not compute with the Anti's, but you gotta keep chipping away at them. If you don't counter them, they will feel we are weakening.

I saw a news clip this morning about CC on collage campuses, it was brief and didn't really say much. But it made me think of the video that is actually making it's rounds on here again, where the staged classroom shooting and a student was armed with a paint ball gun to counter the assailant. So back to the idea, every time I see any report on the idea of Collage Campus carry, the anti's arguments are always filled with the typical emotional scare tactics. AK's and shotguns laying around collage dorms with drunken frat parties raging in the back ground. No I only want to Community Collage for a year before life happened and I ended up working full time. so maybe the current collage going youth will have a better grasp on this idea and it's practicality.

Pro Campus CCw video. (a visual reference to our argument)

Have 4 groups of students representing the 4 years of students. A group of first year students, a group of second year students Etc..... all sitting in a section of bleachers slightly separated and numbering around 20-30 in each group, with each groups ratios relative to the that groups overall campus ratio. (100 students total) Then ask each group one at a time starting with the first year group, everyone 20 years old and younger sit down. I'm guessing your going to get to the 3rd year group before anyone stays standing with the predominant group of standing students in the 4th year. (Maybe 20 students) Then ask all those standing to raise their hands if they live in the on campus dorms, or frat houses and Finlay separate housing / apartments. I'm guessing not too many hands will rise until the separate housing .

Panning back showing the ratio of students sitting vs. the ones standing, those who could actually apply for a CCW and own a handgun. Then take the ratio of CCW holders in general for that state, apply that ratio to the eligible students and have that number walk down and stand in front of the rest of the group. Maybe 2-3 students in front of 100.

These numbers are just generalized. But the idea is to put a visual reference to the number of guns that would actually be on campus, and who exactly would be carrying them. The older more responsible and mature students as well as faculty. No offense to the younger students.

No, I don't expect this to be a world changing idea, and yes, most anti's will laugh at it just as we do there videos. It beats sitting around and doing nothing.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Not a bad idea.. the biggest problem I see when I encounter anti's whether it is in real life or on the internet is that they have no idea what is actually required by law to get a concealed handgun license. Many people think it is as simple as getting a fishing license. And I hear people say things like "Well, I don't like the idea of people being allowed to carry guns, my ex-husband is very violent and I'm already afraid of him as it is, now he might be able to carry a gun." But then I have to explain that "Your ex-husband sounds like it would be impossible for him to qualify for a license, but even if he doesn't what is to stop a violent man from carrying a gun around illegally?"

In most cases it is simply a lack of understanding.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    I saw a news clip this morning about CC on collage campuses,
    collage?
    col∑lage (k-lšzh, k-)n.1. a. An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
    b. A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.

No, college
    I know what you meant, but c'mon...

I do think the video would help but to the true blue ignoramus anti-gunner, any gun on campus = massacre and death of the entire student body.

I carry concealed and I have never used alcohol or drugs in my life and I plan to stay that way. I'm sure anti-gun people think any college student who does carry a gun on a college campus will be a typical drunk partying college kid. I don't think I'm the only one who abstains from drugs and alcohol.

As a now 21 year old college student, I do plan on CC on my campus in Idaho when I do go back to school. I do realize if I'm 'caught' I should expect to be expelled, instead of thanked... I should probably pick up a pocket pistol although my SR9c hides very nicely in my IWB Kholster holster.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Not a bad idea.. the biggest problem I see when I encounter anti's whether it is in real life or on the internet is that they have no idea what is actually required by law to get a concealed handgun license. Many people think it is as simple as getting a fishing license. And I hear people say things like "Well, I don't like the idea of people being allowed to carry guns, my ex-husband is very violent and I'm already afraid of him as it is, now he might be able to carry a gun." But then I have to explain that "Your ex-husband sounds like it would be impossible for him to qualify for a license, but even if he doesn't what is to stop a violent man from carrying a gun around illegally?"

In most cases it is simply a lack of understanding.
    I agreed adric22 that the lack of educating the Sheeple is not on the Media's agrenda. First, nothing against the great state of GA. But, some States like GA require only a NICS background check. No, additional classroom instruction on current GA gun law knowledge or demonstrate any firearm safety or proficiency.

Short Story: I have two employees that are from GA. One seriously claims that she has to have her girlfriend to put the Bullet holder into her gun, because her nails were too long. I swear a new story. I asked why she is carrying if she doesn't know how to properly use it. She needs it when she goes to the Clubs.

Yeah, To each State thier Own, but most States require to have a driver's license you have to pass a test for knowledge of State motor vehicle laws and demonstrate proficient drivng skill sets.

Now, having gone through a Texas CHL course with my wife. We really appreicated the instructional portion of the CHL laws. Alot of valuable information and discussions. The range was enjoyable.

GA permit is good for 5 years AND afterwards they can use thier permit inlieu of any futher NICS background check on new firearm purchases. Maybe some GA FFL in the forum would clarify the procedure for GA Handgun permit holder buying a new firearm w/o a NICS? Does the GA FFL dealer run a state check on the permit held by the person? or does a individual have 5 years w/o any checks while the permit is valid?

Sorry to rabble ... my point, the Anti-G and liberal media could easly use GA, as an example, that there are no additional requirements than a person buying a gun to keep at home and never carry then a person permitted to CCW in public. Thus rising the "fear factor".
    Last edited by baren; November 3rd, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
    rably likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    No, college
    Thanks for the correction, that pulls it all together so much better now.

As a now 21 year old college student, I do plan on CC on my campus in Idaho when I do go back to school. I do realize if I'm 'caught' I should expect to be expelled, instead of thanked... I should probably pick up a pocket pistol although my SR9c hides very nicely in my IWB Kholster holster.
    This is reckless and will effect all of us should you get cought. Any negative interactions with CCW is fuel to the Anti's. It's your choice to make, but we all suffer the consequences.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher10 View Post
    collage?
    col∑lage (k-lšzh, k-)n.1. a. An artistic composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, often with unifying lines and color.
    b. A work, such as a literary piece, composed of both borrowed and original material.

No, college
    Nobody likes a spelling Nazi.

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    This is reckless and will effect all of us should you get cought. Any negative interactions with CCW is fuel to the Anti's. It's your choice to make, but we all suffer the consequences.
    Well, I have to admit I would do the same thing as Fisher10 if I were in his position and just bring it, but I wouldn't tell anyone about it.. not even on this forum. I would also make sure it was a small pistol and keep it in some manner that nobody could possibly ever find.

I think in a college environment, I'd be far less concerned about being mugged or something while inside the building as I would be some kind of massacre situation (IE: Virginia Tech). So I think the few extra seconds needed to get the gun from some deep concealment, whether in a bag or on my body, would probably be acceptable.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I would prefer a movie that shows a gunman walking into a room and meticulously shooting everyone with a paintball gun ,and next video same gunman same room walks in and shoots first victim and everybody shoots back turning him into a multi colored corpse
    adric22 and 4my son like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

As much as I disliked ABC's video on CC...

I had to give it the fact that it does highlight that untrained people are relatively ineffective when it comes to dealing with a threat.

If you are going to CCW on a college campus, you better be squared the BLANK away right proper, and hard.

That means everything from your ability to take a dump in a restroom w/o being exposed, to knowing how to dress around the gun and "friendly" students who may want what you have in your pants (not the gun...) to being able to keep your mouth shut and simply not discuss the gun, your politics on the 2nd amendment or anything about the subject...all they way to being able to work effectively with the weapon you have under the consealment you will have to keep it to a degree that will stun just about everyone.

You will need to work at it, and it's going to be a committment to excellence that will accept NOTHING LESS that perfection.

You will, in effect, be operating in denied territory, and the consequences for being caught will be as bad as a trip to the fingernail factory.

No, that's not a salon. That's the place they take spies captured in the old Soviet Bloc, when they pull your fingernails out and ask you questions...

If you aren't ready for that level of committment, don't screw up your future.

If you are, then you better realize a few things now:

Small, slim guns are your friend. It is a hell of a lot easier to hide a Kahr PM 9mm than a Glock 19.

Your ammo capacity will be reduced. You will have the ammo in the gun, and maybe a spare mag or two. If you like carrying a lot of rounds...deal with the reduction. Life sucks.

Nothing off body. EVER Someone's going to so through your bag looking for electronics or cash, find a ammo magazine, or even a spare round...then your life will suck because while everyone hates a thief, he will be a hero for turning you in and throwing you to the wolves.

SHUT UP. If you have something to say about the RKBA, you will be asked if you are carrying a gun, and possibly the professor will call the police. You WILL be searched and can litigate it later...

No, you can't take your friends shooting with you. Infomation-Security. Learn it. Live it. Love it. It shall be your cloak.

Dress well. T-shirt and jeans are out. You are clean cut, well dressed, preferably with decent attention to detail and color. Hit Goodwill or Salvation Army shops in nice areas for discounted designer stuff. Nothing says "I am not carrying a gun" than geoffrey beene or brooks brothers.

What's that, you don't wanna look like a yuppie? Yuppies don't carry handguns to school. Yuppies are nice people and would never, ever cause trouble...thus you shall become the ninja. Thus you will be unseen, unheard and unsuspected.

And something you are also gonna absolutely, without a doubt hate...

It is not my problem.

That is your new motto.

Girl you know having trouble with someone?
    Guy you know need you to back him up because he started something?
    Friend of your friend having a stalker or something?

Call Campus Security or the Police.

It isn't something you are going to be part of.

Anything that does not directly impact YOU, and impact it severely enough that you would kill someone because their is no other option for you to take...is simply not your problem.

That will not make you popular, it will not make people your friend...

But if you are going to be carrying a gun in denied territory, then the drunk girlfriend of your buddy who is having a fit in the parking lot that he needs you to help control her before the cops arrive, oh, and now it looks like she's keying someone's car...

Is NONE of your affair.

You have an urgent thing (You just got a booty call from the girl in english lit. She and her friend are tanked and want to see if you taste better with chocolate or honey all over you. Sorry, you have to bail...) to attend to.

Your gun if for one reason only - worst case scenario. Nothing else.
    oakchas, Majorlk and KDV like this.

Mitchell is absolutely dead on...

If you are otherwise legal to carry, have decided to do so in an area that is verboten... Especially one where there is a great deal of civil discourse about many many topics... in and out of learning venues... "R2KBA?" "whazzat?"

Not only must you be "the gray man," you must be the invisible man.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Mitchell is absolutely dead on...

If you are otherwise legal to carry, have decided to do so in an area that is verboten... Especially one where there is a great deal of civil discourse about many many topics... in and out of learning venues... "R2KBA?" "whazzat?"

Not only must you be "the gray man," you must be the invisible man.
    Oh, no.

Not the invisible man.

Indeed, interact with people! Have a life, and so forth. Get involved with activities and a social life...

Just do it knowing any screwups have severe consequences.

Also, I know it sounds dumb, but if you have to ever change out of or into gym clothing in a locker room, you need to figure out how to do it without a weapon or magazine dropping on the floor.

Think long & hard about this, and every other situation involving taking your clothing off and putting it on.

Carrying a gun when you aren't supposed to gets all complicated when she's 20, is on the dance team & the cheerleading squad...and has decided to show up that other wench in her dorm who said she could have you easy by getting you first...and you have a Glock 19 A-IWB...

I'm not saying it's gonna happen...but if you rock the geoffrey beene & nice jeans...

I ain't saying, I'm just sayin...

Due to the advice of legal counsel, I must amend my statement as follows (for clarification only).

" ...must be the invisible man as regards the discernment (by any means or happenstance) of your chosen carry weapon by anyone but yourself."

MCT: I've faxed your fee.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Links