Suggestions wanted for the best option for checked luggage with firearm

This is a discussion on Suggestions wanted for the best option for checked luggage with firearm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There have been quite a few threads about "First airline trip", "Flying with a gun" and so on. In those threads some people posted various ...

Thread: Suggestions wanted for the best option for checked luggage with firearm

Suggestions wanted for the best option for checked luggage with firearm

There have been quite a few threads about "First airline trip", "Flying with a gun" and so on. In those threads some people posted various options for ones checked suitcase with the firearm in it.

The last trip I took my hard side lockable pistol case was buried in the 32" soft side bag, and most recently in my wife's hard side case that is not equipped with a TSA lock that she bought in Thailand (try and find one now in the US).

I've been eyeballing a Pelican 1620, which is the largest "Case" that you can get that is not considered oversize by 95% of the airlines. Problem is that it weighs in at a hefty 19.5# empty. With a 50# limit, that complicates things a bit (the hard side case that I packed this trip came in at 47#).

With airlines lowering the weight cap, and charging for checked bags, this is becoming problematic for a tough & secure way to fly with a firearm, and not incur additional surprise fees when you hit the check in counter.

If I was flying by myself it would be a non issue (I can go for a week and get everything I need in 2 carry on size bags - if I bring my laptop, the wife however...)

So, let's hear what you all use (brand/type - model) for the best piece of mind while flying.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

You need a 20lb. Pelican?

I'm not sure how much armament you need to take along on your trips, but this works quite well for me:

In Car Gun Lockers

I'm not looking for a single gun case, I am looking for a case that will hold a gun case, and everything else I am traveling with.

Hard side suitcase, lockable, Non TSA imbedded locks, preferably with wheels.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Near as I can tell, as long as the firearm is in a "Hard Sided" lockable case, internally it can be wrapped in a sock or underwear for all they [TSA] care.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

I have an old Samsonite hard side 2 suiter, it has non-TSA key locks on the ends (but probably easy to pick) and a combo lock in the middle. When I fly I put the handgun in a metal Center of Mass portable "safe" and the usual procedure is show the counter agent the gun is unloaded, put declaration slip on top and lock the suitcase. Then take to TSA screeners and declare a firearm so they scan the bag while I wait, twice I've had the TSA bring the case to me because they could not verify the contents of the gun safe. Usually they just say something like "You're fine" and I go on my way.

If you want a non-TSA suitcase I would suggest checking out pawn shops and maybe hitting a few garage sales.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    ...If you want a non-TSA suitcase I would suggest checking out pawn shops and maybe hitting a few garage sales.
    Yeah, I see a lot of thrift stores in my future.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

For transporting my pistols, I use an Army NVG case, holds 2-3 pistols with various accessories. For long guns, I use a StormCase that holds my M4 & Rem 700 and 2 pistols. Meets all the airline/tsa requirements, and weighs in under 50lb fully packed.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I like Porter Case I travel and fly a lot for work and have found their products versatile and durable I have three of their cases: Porter Case PCi
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    There's no law against disabling a built-in TSA-approved lock on your own suitcase.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Deviant Ollam of Packing and the Friendly skies uses these:

1342.gif

Dimensions: 25 in. long x 13 in. wide x 7 in. high. Almost works as a carry on (if it weren't for the contents) (and about 1" over on length and height). $20. Also 20 Lbs.

According to the site they may need re-painted.

Now... Just 'cause I like the idea... enough that if I traveled a lot on the airlines to states that were gun-friendly; I'd have a matched pair either painted OD green or covered in denim... and I'd put some real locks on 'em (not hasps as deviant suggests) That doesn't mean they're for everyone... But they do make a statement!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Links