Defensive Carry banner

Vehicle handgun safe

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ElMonoDelMar 
#1 ·
OK, I think I have looked at everything that is out there but I could not find what I want. What I'm looking for is as follows:
1. slim: one gun
2. the combination pad is up front not on the top so that I can mount it under a seat where there isn't that much room
3. I think I would prefer a mechanical combination instead of electrical (but electrical which could be tied into the vehicle power with rechargeable battery backup would also be good)

So what is out there?

#2 ·
I am also interested in what folks are doing. I found the console vault, but my console is already packed with stuff (First Aid Kit, Knife, Leatherman, Flashlight, etc) and really cant hold a firearm too. I drive a CrewCab silverado and would love to find something like what you are looking for to go under the middle seat in the back.

#5 ·
I think of those safes as being something I would use to secure the gun in case I visit some place where I can't carry. You want one that you can use as a method of concealed carry in the car?

#7 ·
Some of the electronic opening safes are fast. But may be a bit bulky and expensive. I have a COM safe that seems to work, and just wear my gun when it is not locked up.

#9 ·
Not sure if this helps or not, but I have an electronic safe and have not changed the batteries since new over 6 years ago. It opens on average about 3-5 times per week. It's one of those Sentry fire safes that you can buy at Wal-Mart. I keep guns and other stuff in it. It is supposed to have a low batt alert. I have no experience with the electronic gun safes, but based on my experience with my fire safe, I think I would trust them. Especially if I made myself change the battery once per year or something.

#10 ·
vehicle gunsafe

Huzar;

A combination lock is worst than having a key.

In the dark, a key is a lot easier to open your safe than a comb. lock.

When I have my gun locked in my Center of Mass gunsafe, I keep a spare key on a lanyard hung around my neck under my clothes.

Should I ever lose or become seperated from my keys, I have my spare car and gunsafe keys hung around my neck.

I also don't have to worry about the electronics failing. Sometimes simpler is better.

Wes.

#11 ·
There is some debate about combination devices and who knows the combination and what that means re: posession / access.

With a Key, if my wife (no Carry permit) does not have the Key and the firearm is locked in the case, NO problem. she OBVIOUSLY doesn't have access or posession.

With a combination ... Any adult around a combination lock owned / used by someone they know / trust (a SO for example) is usually assumed to have the combo.

Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.