Vehicle handgun safe

This is a discussion on Vehicle handgun safe within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I think I have looked at everything that is out there but I could not find what I want. What I'm looking for is ...

Thread: Vehicle handgun safe

Vehicle handgun safe

OK, I think I have looked at everything that is out there but I could not find what I want. What I'm looking for is as follows:
    1. slim: one gun
    2. the combination pad is up front not on the top so that I can mount it under a seat where there isn't that much room
    3. I think I would prefer a mechanical combination instead of electrical (but electrical which could be tied into the vehicle power with rechargeable battery backup would also be good)

So what is out there?

2. Remove Ads

I am also interested in what folks are doing. I found the console vault, but my console is already packed with stuff (First Aid Kit, Knife, Leatherman, Flashlight, etc) and really cant hold a firearm too. I drive a CrewCab silverado and would love to find something like what you are looking for to go under the middle seat in the back.

3sh
    I just read this in another thread. (exactly what you want)

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=13034

Quote Originally Posted by 3sh View Post
    I just read this in another thread. (exactly what you want)

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=13034
    Nope, it's key operated. If I need it fast it's going to be hard to get to.
    I think I would prefer a mechanical combination instead of electrical (but electrical which could be tied into the vehicle power with rechargeable battery backup would also be good)

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I think of those safes as being something I would use to secure the gun in case I visit some place where I can't carry. You want one that you can use as a method of concealed carry in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    I think of those safes as being something I would use to secure the gun in case I visit some place where I can't carry. You want one that you can use as a method of concealed carry in the car?
    Well yes and no. You're right on securing it there for visiting the places where I can't carry, but also since I'm not going to be carrying 24/7 I will still want it to be somewhat accessible: convenient yet out of the way.

Lead Moderator
    Some of the electronic opening safes are fast. But may be a bit bulky and expensive. I have a COM safe that seems to work, and just wear my gun when it is not locked up.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Some of the electronic opening safes are fast. But may be a bit bulky and expensive. I have a COM safe that seems to work, and just wear my gun when it is not locked up.
    It's not the time thing that's an issue for me with the electronic ones. It's an issue of the battery dying or something.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Not sure if this helps or not, but I have an electronic safe and have not changed the batteries since new over 6 years ago. It opens on average about 3-5 times per week. It's one of those Sentry fire safes that you can buy at Wal-Mart. I keep guns and other stuff in it. It is supposed to have a low batt alert. I have no experience with the electronic gun safes, but based on my experience with my fire safe, I think I would trust them. Especially if I made myself change the battery once per year or something.

vehicle gunsafe

Huzar;

A combination lock is worst than having a key.

In the dark, a key is a lot easier to open your safe than a comb. lock.

When I have my gun locked in my Center of Mass gunsafe, I keep a spare key on a lanyard hung around my neck under my clothes.

Should I ever lose or become seperated from my keys, I have my spare car and gunsafe keys hung around my neck.

I also don't have to worry about the electronics failing. Sometimes simpler is better.

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

There is some debate about combination devices and who knows the combination and what that means re: posession / access.

With a Key, if my wife (no Carry permit) does not have the Key and the firearm is locked in the case, NO problem. she OBVIOUSLY doesn't have access or posession.

With a combination ... Any adult around a combination lock owned / used by someone they know / trust (a SO for example) is usually assumed to have the combo.

Just a thought.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plblark View Post
    There is some debate about combination devices and who knows the combination and what that means re: posession / access.

With a Key, if my wife (no Carry permit) does not have the Key and the firearm is locked in the case, NO problem. she OBVIOUSLY doesn't have access or posession.

With a combination ... Any adult around a combination lock owned / used by someone they know / trust (a SO for example) is usually assumed to have the combo.

Just a thought.
    I don't think this would be an issue in the eyes of the law as long as you and your SO both tell the police/court that she didn't know the combo. Unless someone has seen her enter the combo in the safe, they've got no proof that she had access to the firearm.

Links