USCCA, Again.

This is a discussion on USCCA, Again. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tim of USCCA seems to be out for money and not much else, despite what he claims. I joined for one year, dropped out, and ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: USCCA, Again.

Tim of USCCA seems to be out for money and not much else, despite what he claims. I joined for one year, dropped out, and finally about 2 years later, rarely get an email from him even after asking him to unsubscribe me.

Give him a wide berth. He's not worth it.
    RugerMak likes this.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

2. Remove Ads

For USCCA, ACLDN and all the others who claim to offer insurance...

Think about it for 60 seconds. How could anyone even begin to offer this type of insurance? There are simply far too many variables. They are simply collecting money you will never see again. You may as well give the money to a psychic or medium to foretell your future.

The funny thing about legal help for concealed carriers is this: if you don't do anything illegal, and it's a clear case of self-defense, you won't need any legal backup. If it turns out you were in the worng, they won't provide it. If it's a gray area, the insurer will argue with you and will try not to pay.

If the case is "winnable", it would most likely never even be brought to court.

If the case is gray, but your conscience is clear, you'll be happy to be alive, and will simply have to take anything the legal system throws at you.

No one can insure you for any of that. It's ALL a scam.
    jem102 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    You should see how many on that forum are bailing out... When I buy insurance, I expect all the papers in MY hands... Not to have to go to some forum to see what they will tell me...

Good riddance to bad rubbish... And frankly, though I'm certain DC can use the money... I would like them to dismiss this character and his company.

I will pledge this much... I will pay DC what I paid USCCA for my membership once the renewal notice comes.

DC is much more informative, timely, and valuable to me than USCCA has been.
    I like your thinking on this!
    RugerMak likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    For USCCA, ACLDN and all the others who claim to offer insurance...
    The ACLDN doesn't offer insurance for your actions, they offer co-op coverage the "up front" attorney fees. Large difference from USCCA.

Here is ACLDN's disclaimer:

What is the role of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Fund?

The purpose of the Network's Legal Defense Fund is to provide legal defense support to Network members, when these lawfully armed citizens face prosecution or civil lawsuit after exercising their right to self defense. The Legal Defense Fund is drawn from an allocation of 25% of all Network membership dues and 100% of all corporate sponsorship contributions.

The Network is a powerful series of up-front benefits and services provided directly to you and your attorney, not a fee-based reimbursement service or insurance program. If a member is involved in a self-defense incident, a fee deposit is paid to the member's attorney by the Network to get the legal defense immediately underway, with representation during questioning, and an independent investigation of the incident. If the incident results in felony charges the fee deposit is $10,000; if the member faces misdemeanor charges, a $5,000 fee deposit is sent to his or her attorney.

Network members have access to contact information for Network-affiliated attorneys, are entitled to case review by one of the Network experts and the assistance of expert witnesses. These powerful benefits are included in the Network memership fee. In addition, distribution of monetary grants to help with legal fees is at the discretion of the Network’s Advisory Board, which includes Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Jim Fleming, Tom Givens, Dennis Tueller and Network officers, Marty Hayes and Vincent Shuck, as ex officio members.

A Network member who has been involved in a self-defense incident may request assistance by contacting the Network. The member’s attorney should outline the circumstances of the case and provide details that can be used by the Advisory Board to determine whether the Legal Defense Fund can participate in the member's legal defense efforts. Legal Defense Fund support is available to Network members for incidents that occurred during their Network membership period.

The ACLDN is very clear what you get for your bucks! No so with USCCA!
    RugerMak and hogdoc357 like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    The ACLDN doesn't offer insurance for your actions, they offer co-op coverage the "up front" attorney fees. Large difference from USCCA.

Here is ACLDN's disclaimer:

What is the role of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Fund?

The purpose of the Network's Legal Defense Fund is to provide legal defense support to Network members, when these lawfully armed citizens face prosecution or civil lawsuit after exercising their right to self defense. The Legal Defense Fund is drawn from an allocation of 25% of all Network membership dues and 100% of all corporate sponsorship contributions.

The Network is a powerful series of up-front benefits and services provided directly to you and your attorney, not a fee-based reimbursement service or insurance program. If a member is involved in a self-defense incident, a fee deposit is paid to the member's attorney by the Network to get the legal defense immediately underway, with representation during questioning, and an independent investigation of the incident. If the incident results in felony charges the fee deposit is $10,000; if the member faces misdemeanor charges, a $5,000 fee deposit is sent to his or her attorney.

Network members have access to contact information for Network-affiliated attorneys, are entitled to case review by one of the Network experts and the assistance of expert witnesses. These powerful benefits are included in the Network memership fee. In addition, distribution of monetary grants to help with legal fees is at the discretion of the Network’s Advisory Board, which includes Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Jim Fleming, Tom Givens, Dennis Tueller and Network officers, Marty Hayes and Vincent Shuck, as ex officio members.

A Network member who has been involved in a self-defense incident may request assistance by contacting the Network. The member’s attorney should outline the circumstances of the case and provide details that can be used by the Advisory Board to determine whether the Legal Defense Fund can participate in the member's legal defense efforts. Legal Defense Fund support is available to Network members for incidents that occurred during their Network membership period.

The ACLDN is very clear what you get for your bucks! No so with USCCA!
    I disagree. It's still insurance, and it's still just as laden with cop-outs as USCCA. It's $5k coverage for a misdemeanor, and $10K for a felony rap. That's insurance no matter how you slice it or rebrand it. Plus, the board can give you and your attorney the big thumbs down if they feel the case would reflect badly on them. It's not like they coming running to your defense and drop the money on the table the day after you're arrested. They claim it's "up-front" co-op support. Please show me where I get any of these benefits "up front". Having your lawyer send them a write-up (that you had to pay him an hourly fee to write), and then Massad and his friends get to decide if and when they will send the money is hardly "up-front".

If you engage a criminal defense shortly at your arrest, you're not going to be able to use these flaky weasel words as an IOU for your bill. You'll still need to drop your personal coin on the table to get an attorney to take you on as a client. This falls under the heading of you-might-get-this-mouse-nuts-money-later. Or, you might not.

Do they publish their payout record? No? Didn't think so.
    rdpG19, jem102 and Aphdmansoc like this.

I joined for a year to try it out. After a few months I had enough and requested a prorated refund and they promptly obliged.
    RugerMak likes this.

Exclamation

USCCA® is an absolute rip off. It is a waste of money and Tim Schmidt is nothing but a "Snake Oil Salesman" IMHO. I joined for a year and let my membership lapse. Had to delete an email account because of him spamming me so much. FWIW, "Front Sight" uses the same spammer software and will flood you w/their BS also.
    jem102 and RugerMak like this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

I will not be renewing to the USCCA because of this change. I will miss the mag.

Roger
    RugerMak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by k5mow View Post
    I will not be renewing to the USCCA because of this change. I will miss the mag.

Roger
    + thousands of others... no doubt.
    RugerMak likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I joined, lapsed, joined again. After this I'm done.

I like Tim, but in the last year him and his company have started to look greasy to me.

I always wondered why the founder of the US Concealed Carry Assn lived and HQed in a non-CCW state. Of course now WI has CCW.
    RugerMak likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Before I joined, I signed up for their "free" articles too. They were, indeed, free. However, since that time I was BOMBARDED with spam or useless emails from the USCCA, sometimes several times a day to get me to join, telling me how important it was for me to become a member, etc. . Hmmm....strange thing happened, after I decided to join for one year, the emails completely STOPPED. I get absolutely nothing form them anymore. Nothing more than a way to get our hard earned $$$ at the expense of concerned law abiding concealed carry folks. Now that we must take the insurance in order to continue membership, that's the nail on the coffin for me. I'm done with them. It was a waste of my $$$ to join....very EXPENSIVE magazine that is just mediocre, and a couple of stickers. The NRA's magazines are FAR better and more informative. I haven't gotten ANYTHING from USCCA that I didn't already know. I was on their forum for a short while and it wasn't that great. I wish I would have donated to this forum. I will definitely donate in the future. This is one of the best forums on concealed carry I have come accross lately. Just my 2c..............
    RugerMak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dawei View Post
    USCCA® is an absolute rip off. It is a waste of money and Tim Schmidt is nothing but a "Snake Oil Salesman" IMHO. I joined for a year and let my membership lapse. Had to delete an email account because of him spamming me so much. FWIW, "Front Sight" uses the same spammer software and will flood you w/their BS also.
    I'm dropping my USCCA membership also, but since Front Sight was mentioned, I want to add something. I don't like the incessant advertising either, but my wife and I attended the 4-day Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight and found it to be excellent. As we were heading back home, my wife said, "When can we go back"? We are going back in April. With Front Sight, I purchased a life-time membership for less than most ranges charge for a weekend course. I've already more than my money's worth by attending the 4-day course. It costs me nothing to maintain the membership and we can get further training at anytime for no additional cost. Also many of their weekly blogs or tips have been very good. Recently (while co-advertising Tim Larkin's Target Focus Training) FS has sent out some videos of very violent beatings and knifings that I've never seen anywhere else and there is a lot to be learned from them. So even though I don't like the ubiquitous ads, I feel like what I'm getting from Front Sight is worth it. And all it takes is one click to make an ad disappear. In the case of USCCA, I like the mag and the forum, but refuse to be forced into the insurance plan to get those two benefits.
    RugerMak likes this.

Interesting thread...I had a conversation with the wife just last night that went a lot like most of the posts here...

I've been a member of USCCA for almost one year...I will not renew...I will not pay for his "insurance" program...

And as others have said...I learn more just reading this forum than I've learned from their slick magazine...
    RugerMak likes this.
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I used to be a moderator over on their forum. 'Nuff said.
    RugerMak likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I started a thread like this over on the Taurus Forum, (rdp357) one of the members over there linked to this thread. Everything I've read by the members on DC forum about USCCA is true. I'm still a Gold member on that site, just letting my membership run out and will not renew. I contacted customer service over there and asked to be taken off the marketing list so I would not get so many emails for the Shield. NOW I receive NO emails at all, not even the Concealed Carry weekly report, plus I haven't even received my copy of the latest magazine issue. You either buy the Shield or they don't want you there, there is a mass exodus going on over on that site.

If you are checking out the program, read the fine details.

Just my 2 cents worth!!!!!
    RugerMak and Aphdmansoc like this.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links