USCCA, Again.

This is a discussion on USCCA, Again. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got the Glock Talk/USCCA spam advertising too. Cant get away from their advertising...SCAM...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: USCCA, Again.

I got the Glock Talk/USCCA spam advertising too. Cant get away from their advertising...SCAM
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I hate to disparage one of our sponsors. Especially the newest one that I am aware of. But for me, this is "over the top" and wrong.

It appears that USCCA, having created their new Defense Shield insurance backed program, is no longer going to allow members to just join for the magazine and forum. It is now requiring the purchase of their Defense Shield program with new memberships or renewals.

While this is not so different than say, AAA, which is an insurance company to begin with, and became an association of insureds. USCCA is the opposite. It was an association of like minded individuals, and an insurance backed option was made available, long after the origination of the group.

Now, like minded individuals who were a part of the group and paid membership fees to belong, but who feel no need for the insurance offered, will not be allowed to continue their membership unless they purchase the insurance backed option in addition to their regular membership. In my mind, that makes it little better than a scam with a magazine.

So, to Tim Schmidt, I say NO.

Link to the letter "explaining" it all >>>here<<<
    If that's the case, it looks like I won't be renewing my membership and subscription to them.
    RugerMak likes this.

At one time USCCA was a good idea. The magazine was (and still is) informative and a good read. I have watched with disappointment as the hype and spam have increased. Now I don't even bother opening any email I receive from them. The mandatory "Defense Shield" is the last straw. I won't renew and I've been a member for years.
    RugerMak likes this.

I enquired about Front Sight before and I got more spam and phone calls than Verizon's switchboard !
    USCCA sent me a ton of spam too, I didn't join though. I hate when places swindle the people for a so-called cause !
    Looks like i'll just stick to the NRA !
    RugerMak likes this.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

VIP Member
    I have been a member of the USCCA since 2005. It used to be a great group. Just the forum alone was worth well more than the cost of membership. The magazine was a super bonus to me, and I thought it was the best gun rag out there. However the magazine has become less and less informative over time, at least for me. The forum has turned into nothing more than the typical internet gun forum, with nothing remarkable in any way. Much of the down turn came when one new person was hired by the USCCA. When you combine that with Tim's used car salesman attitude it is simply too much. When my current membership expires I'll walk away and never look back. This forum and a couple others are more than sufficient and I won't miss reading how a 75 year old man that cannot walk can operate a firearm... or the stories about the under trained under prepared individuals that are picked to be profiled every month.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I was a member for a few years.At first I had the deluxe package with everything (magazine,forum etc). That was kinda pricey so when I renewed I went with forum only. I enjoyed the magazine but the forum alone wasn't worth it. Not to mention that USCCA is to e-mail what the NRA is to my mail box. I wrote Tim an e-mail with my concerns and never heard back, thus they don't hear from me anymore.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I am a member of ACLDN. I will be renewing my membership by years end. I like what Marty Hayes is doing, I like and respect his motivation. I'm very clear about what I get for my money and my expectations of their organization are being met.

I was a member of USCCA for one year. Didn't renew because it didn't offer anything I valued more than the cost of membership. I put them in my SPAM filter.

Fitch
    CCBob likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I have been a member of the USCCA since 2005. It used to be a great group. Just the forum alone was worth well more than the cost of membership. The magazine was a super bonus to me, and I thought it was the best gun rag out there. However the magazine has become less and less informative over time, at least for me. The forum has turned into nothing more than the typical internet gun forum, with nothing remarkable in any way. Much of the down turn came when one new person was hired by the USCCA. When you combine that with Tim's used car salesman attitude it is simply too much...
    Same here. I joined during the magazines first year. I also wrote editorials for the USCCA mag and website beginning in '05 for a number of years that they reprint on occasion, or at least it seems that way from the emails I still receive now and then from a "fan" concerning something in an editorial. I also agree with Echo_Four about the change in direction when there was a change in personnel 2 or 3 years ago. After I stopped writing new articles a few years ago I made a clean break and didn't maintain my membership, though I still get emails - just got one yesterday from Tim - pushing the groups latest program or special. The original idea behind the association was good and still is, but the USCCA of today is not the same group I belonged to 5 or 6 years ago.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

It's actually a very good way to make a lot of money without leaving the kitchen table. Find a group of people with a common interest and start an "association" with "membership" and some kind of benefits, a website, maybe an email "newsletter" and charge annual dues. This "Tactical Tim" guy is probably laughing all the way to the bank. Imagine how much he's made in USCAA dues. He could dissolve the organization tomorrow and retire rich.
    Last edited by Ruark; November 30th, 2011 at 02:57 PM.

It's funny that I joined the USCCA back in Oct 2010-Gold Member-for free and to my surprise received their magazine. I found them from an ad on FB and joined up right on the spot. I woulda never paid good money to join. We have the NRA to fight for us. BTW my Gold Membership expired Oct 2011, yet my member status is still "Active".
    DO NOT FORCE ME TO USE THIS!!!

First off, I want to say that Tim isn't all bad. He's done a lot personally to lobby for CCW in Wisconsin and has surrounded himself with some reasonable talent. They sponsor armed american radio which I think is doing a fair outreach job (although there are some things I would change about it like the political nonsense of ripping liberals all the time - they should be ripping both parties, frankly).

That said, I could never sign up. I wanted the magazine - I think Kathy Jackson is a pretty cool person. I don't find value in a paid forum (come on, when there are tons for free), an insurance program that is run poorly, Tim's videos, or anything else they put out. They would probably do better financially if they sold subscriptions to the magazine and nothing else for $35 a year.

It's sad because they could have been a great organization without almost even trying. They should have developed a defensive handgun training network/program (ie, find a qualified trainer in your area, or hook up with one of the national training schools), a gear rental/testing program (you rent holsters/etc for a week at a time), good video series - with a host that's actually good on camera, and of course, just stop spamming the entire world (who does that?)

So, I'm sure people have mentioned these ideas and criticisms to Tim many times now. For what value is there, it's just insanely expensive at the moment.

Oh, and the videos were what sealed the deal for me - too much bad information from a person who runs an association about guns.

He could dissolve the organization tomorrow and retire rich.
    BTW, I actually don't think he's made a whole lot - I'm pretty sure this has put him in big debt. He wrote something a while ago about it and how he almost lost his house, etc. So, I think what we are seeing is the desperation of someone pulling at every last straw to make this work. I think the defense shield thing is an ill-advised grasp to try to balance the books.

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    - I think Kathy Jackson is a pretty cool person. .
    She has not posted here in ahile. Miss her. Screen name was PAX.

I have been a member of USCCA for several years, due to lack of judgement last October i selected the insurance and provided my credit card info. I was supposed to be charged $44 Quarterly, my credit card was charged $44 in October, again in November and again in December. So I am getting out of the organization. That Tim really starting rubbing me wrong when he wanted us to use his buddy for investment opportunities. So, I am going on line now and remove my credit card info and just let my membership expire. I looked here to see if others felt the same way, and sure enough I did.
    Thanks,
    Marcus
    rdpG19 likes this.

I joined the organization about three years ago when I was a newbie. The forum was pretty good although it seems rather stale now. I never opted for his e-mails and now that the are forcing the Defense Shield I will not renew when the time comes. There is too much good information including on this site to deal with mass marketers. I went to Front Sight and enjoyed the training but the marketing was ridiculous. I challenged Piazza on his 911 conspiracy stand and the energy he was putting into that when we should have been involved in fighting for our rights with the current occupant of the People's House. I have been blackballed as a result. It is a shame to cover something that could be good with the snake oil salesman mentality. It cheats everyone and is ultimately counterproductive.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links