Defensive Carry banner

USCCA, Again.

32K views 123 replies 80 participants last post by  MJClark 
#1 ·
I hate to disparage one of our sponsors. Especially the newest one that I am aware of. But for me, this is "over the top" and wrong.

It appears that USCCA, having created their new Defense Shield insurance backed program, is no longer going to allow members to just join for the magazine and forum. It is now requiring the purchase of their Defense Shield program with new memberships or renewals.

While this is not so different than say, AAA, which is an insurance company to begin with, and became an association of insureds. USCCA is the opposite. It was an association of like minded individuals, and an insurance backed option was made available, long after the origination of the group.

Now, like minded individuals who were a part of the group and paid membership fees to belong, but who feel no need for the insurance offered, will not be allowed to continue their membership unless they purchase the insurance backed option in addition to their regular membership. In my mind, that makes it little better than a scam with a magazine.

So, to Tim Schmidt, I say NO.

Link to the letter "explaining" it all >>>here<<<

See less See more
#3 ·
Under the current system, you get a pretty decent (and expensively produced) bimonthly magazine with no advertising and forum membership. Under the new program you get that plus the insurance backed Defense Shield. At a cost of $115 annually up to $268 annually.

Next year, for just $50.00 more they will force you to buy a sash and a CCW badge or you can't belong (That's not true but those would have as much value to me as the "insurance backed" protection.)

#5 ·
I'm a member of USCCA and I've researched their "DEFENSE SHIELD" insurance. I've asked Tim Schmidt to make a list available to it's members, who these attorney's are that have agreed to defend USCCA members. No response!! I asked for that information because the caliber of Lawyer matters in these cases. If he has enlisted attorney's that have little experience, are out two-three years from law school, or don't have much of a practice to begin with, how good are they going to be defending you. Better yet, what if their specialty's are not criminal defense attorney's!?!? I also asked if these attorney's are willing to defend member for the limit's of the policy, also got no response. I asked for a blank copy of the policy to research the fine print, no response. I asked for the list so that anyone with access to the services of "MARTINEDALE-HUBBLE, can check references, place of business, education, and how he or she are rated within the legal community. Sad to say, and I have not read yet that in order to renew membership you have to order defense shield, it will be my last year as a subscriber. I enjoy the magazine and their forum, but the expense out-weighs the purpose of the membership. If USCCA has ignored my request, do they have something to hide? Selling defense shield can be a very lucrative business for USCCA, but don't try shoving it down our throats, without giving full disclosure.

#10 ·
I'm a member of USCCA and I've researched their "DEFENSE SHIELD" insurance. I've asked Tim Schmidt to make a list available to it's members, who these attorney's are that have agreed to defend USCCA members. No response!!... I also asked if these attorney's are willing to defend member for the limit's of the policy, also got no response. I asked for a blank copy of the policy to research the fine print, no response. I asked for the list so that anyone with access to the services of "MARTINEDALE-HUBBLE, can check references, place of business, education, and how he or she are rated within the legal community...
Just curious; did you ask your questions on their Forum?

#6 ·
I down-loaded one of their "free" reports to a brand-new email account, and immediately began receiving torrents of spam from just about everywhere in cyberia, as well as daily sales pitches from USCCA. Coincidence, perhaps.

#7 ·
PLEASE READ THE DISCLAIMER ON THEIR INSURANCE.

YOU ARE NOT COVERED ONLY THE USCCA IS COVERED!:mad:

THEY MAY GRANT YOU COVERAGE IF YOUR CASE IS WINABLE!:aargh4:

#8 ·
I carried memberships for years for myself and son in law and early on bought some of the training aids. But the whole organization has become a marketing shill for the "editors/owners/partners" (you pick the title) so I dropped both memberships. Some of the staff claim to be master instructors from some of the best training organizations around...well if they say so...
"I" no longer found any substance in any of their offerings, YMMV.

#12 ·
Been a member for the past year - it was a gift. The magazine is OK, but for the most part, nothing you cannot get elsewhere and, in the end, let's be honest - there is really nothing new under the sun in pistol-craft and self-defense. If you have been reading for a while, you have seen it all before. And, as has been noted, the magazine is mostly a vehicle for selling the organization - hence no need for adverts - it is one (and, actually, I like the adverts in most gun mags).

Given the hard sell, the "Dear Friend..." approach, it all seems to be about making money - tapping into a constituency to take it for all they can - and with that as a backdrop, I hardly feel comfortable with this change. I will not be renewing. I have been looking into the ACLDN as a means of having some legal backup.

Reactions: RugerMak
#13 ·
I did not ask the question on the forum. I did'nt feel it was the appropriate place to ask. I got an email from him, wanting to know why I had not joined "DEFENSE SHIELD" I'm sure a lot of other member did too. I chose to ask him on a reply to the email. I'm still waiting!!! That was not the first time I emailed the organization asking for information. I have yet to receive a response from anyone. The proof is not in the pudding in this case, it's in the fine print I'm afraid. It is true that you get frequent emails from the organization.

#16 ·
Tim of USCCA seems to be out for money and not much else, despite what he claims. I joined for one year, dropped out, and finally about 2 years later, rarely get an email from him even after asking him to unsubscribe me.

Give him a wide berth. He's not worth it.

#17 ·
For USCCA, ACLDN and all the others who claim to offer insurance...

Think about it for 60 seconds. How could anyone even begin to offer this type of insurance? There are simply far too many variables. They are simply collecting money you will never see again. You may as well give the money to a psychic or medium to foretell your future.

The funny thing about legal help for concealed carriers is this: if you don't do anything illegal, and it's a clear case of self-defense, you won't need any legal backup. If it turns out you were in the worng, they won't provide it. If it's a gray area, the insurer will argue with you and will try not to pay.

If the case is "winnable", it would most likely never even be brought to court.

If the case is gray, but your conscience is clear, you'll be happy to be alive, and will simply have to take anything the legal system throws at you.

No one can insure you for any of that. It's ALL a scam.

Reactions: jem102
#19 ·
For USCCA, ACLDN and all the others who claim to offer insurance...
The ACLDN doesn't offer insurance for your actions, they offer co-op coverage the "up front" attorney fees. Large difference from USCCA.

Here is ACLDN's disclaimer:

What is the role of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Fund?

The purpose of the Network's Legal Defense Fund is to provide legal defense support to Network members, when these lawfully armed citizens face prosecution or civil lawsuit after exercising their right to self defense. The Legal Defense Fund is drawn from an allocation of 25% of all Network membership dues and 100% of all corporate sponsorship contributions.

The Network is a powerful series of up-front benefits and services provided directly to you and your attorney, not a fee-based reimbursement service or insurance program. If a member is involved in a self-defense incident, a fee deposit is paid to the member's attorney by the Network to get the legal defense immediately underway, with representation during questioning, and an independent investigation of the incident. If the incident results in felony charges the fee deposit is $10,000; if the member faces misdemeanor charges, a $5,000 fee deposit is sent to his or her attorney.

Network members have access to contact information for Network-affiliated attorneys, are entitled to case review by one of the Network experts and the assistance of expert witnesses. These powerful benefits are included in the Network memership fee. In addition, distribution of monetary grants to help with legal fees is at the discretion of the Network’s Advisory Board, which includes Massad Ayoob, John Farnam, Jim Fleming, Tom Givens, Dennis Tueller and Network officers, Marty Hayes and Vincent Shuck, as ex officio members.

A Network member who has been involved in a self-defense incident may request assistance by contacting the Network. The member’s attorney should outline the circumstances of the case and provide details that can be used by the Advisory Board to determine whether the Legal Defense Fund can participate in the member's legal defense efforts. Legal Defense Fund support is available to Network members for incidents that occurred during their Network membership period.

The ACLDN is very clear what you get for your bucks! No so with USCCA!

#22 ·
USCCA® is an absolute rip off. It is a waste of money and Tim Schmidt is nothing but a "Snake Oil Salesman" IMHO. I joined for a year and let my membership lapse. Had to delete an email account because of him spamming me so much. FWIW, "Front Sight" uses the same spammer software and will flood you w/their BS also.

#27 ·
I'm dropping my USCCA membership also, but since Front Sight was mentioned, I want to add something. I don't like the incessant advertising either, but my wife and I attended the 4-day Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight and found it to be excellent. As we were heading back home, my wife said, "When can we go back"? We are going back in April. With Front Sight, I purchased a life-time membership for less than most ranges charge for a weekend course. I've already more than my money's worth by attending the 4-day course. It costs me nothing to maintain the membership and we can get further training at anytime for no additional cost. Also many of their weekly blogs or tips have been very good. Recently (while co-advertising Tim Larkin's Target Focus Training) FS has sent out some videos of very violent beatings and knifings that I've never seen anywhere else and there is a lot to be learned from them. So even though I don't like the ubiquitous ads, I feel like what I'm getting from Front Sight is worth it. And all it takes is one click to make an ad disappear. In the case of USCCA, I like the mag and the forum, but refuse to be forced into the insurance plan to get those two benefits.

#25 ·
I joined, lapsed, joined again. After this I'm done.

I like Tim, but in the last year him and his company have started to look greasy to me.

I always wondered why the founder of the US Concealed Carry Assn lived and HQed in a non-CCW state. Of course now WI has CCW.

#26 ·
Before I joined, I signed up for their "free" articles too. They were, indeed, free. However, since that time I was BOMBARDED with spam or useless emails from the USCCA, sometimes several times a day to get me to join, telling me how important it was for me to become a member, etc. . Hmmm....strange thing happened, after I decided to join for one year, the emails completely STOPPED. I get absolutely nothing form them anymore. Nothing more than a way to get our hard earned $$$ at the expense of concerned law abiding concealed carry folks. Now that we must take the insurance in order to continue membership, that's the nail on the coffin for me. I'm done with them. It was a waste of my $$$ to join....very EXPENSIVE magazine that is just mediocre, and a couple of stickers. The NRA's magazines are FAR better and more informative. I haven't gotten ANYTHING from USCCA that I didn't already know. I was on their forum for a short while and it wasn't that great. I wish I would have donated to this forum. I will definitely donate in the future. This is one of the best forums on concealed carry I have come accross lately. Just my 2c..............

#28 ·
Interesting thread...I had a conversation with the wife just last night that went a lot like most of the posts here...

I've been a member of USCCA for almost one year...I will not renew...I will not pay for his "insurance" program...

And as others have said...I learn more just reading this forum than I've learned from their slick magazine...

#30 ·
I started a thread like this over on the Taurus Forum, (rdp357) one of the members over there linked to this thread. Everything I've read by the members on DC forum about USCCA is true. I'm still a Gold member on that site, just letting my membership run out and will not renew. I contacted customer service over there and asked to be taken off the marketing list so I would not get so many emails for the Shield. NOW I receive NO emails at all, not even the Concealed Carry weekly report, plus I haven't even received my copy of the latest magazine issue. You either buy the Shield or they don't want you there, there is a mass exodus going on over on that site.

If you are checking out the program, read the fine details.

Just my 2 cents worth!!!!!

#32 ·
Funny thing!!! Since my last email requesting information on "defense shield" I have not received any more emails, either from the organization or spamming me for "defense shield". Heck...I didn't even get the email onacoma got, announcing the "distribution of assistance", by defense shield. This emal to member, (of defense shield) could be a direct result of what it's being said in this forum and other furums. Offering scant information will not keep the members renewing. I think they see "the writting on the wall".

#33 ·
They put out a good magazine but not good enough to put up with this BS. I was a member until last year and then just didn't renew, lazy I guess. But now, with this development, I will not be becoming a member again.

#34 ·
I thought it was an interesting operation and signed on for a couple of years. The best part was their forum, but it was teeming with people new to carry, and I was interested in what experienced folk had to say. Then Tim started bombarding me with "special offers" about how to grow an enterprise, and it struck me that he was leveraging his personal interest in being armed into a money-making scheme. More than anything else, the incessant marketing crap turned me off. I didn't renew and I have no regrets. I unsubscribed at least twice to his marketing email and finally just directed it to my spam folder. Done.

#35 ·
I was on their mailing list for a time, although not a paying member of the group. I got tired of all the spam and pleas for money, so I opted out from their email.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.