USCCA, Again.

This is a discussion on USCCA, Again. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hate to disparage one of our sponsors. Especially the newest one that I am aware of. But for me, this is "over the top" ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: USCCA, Again.

USCCA, Again.

I hate to disparage one of our sponsors. Especially the newest one that I am aware of. But for me, this is "over the top" and wrong.

It appears that USCCA, having created their new Defense Shield insurance backed program, is no longer going to allow members to just join for the magazine and forum. It is now requiring the purchase of their Defense Shield program with new memberships or renewals.

While this is not so different than say, AAA, which is an insurance company to begin with, and became an association of insureds. USCCA is the opposite. It was an association of like minded individuals, and an insurance backed option was made available, long after the origination of the group.

Now, like minded individuals who were a part of the group and paid membership fees to belong, but who feel no need for the insurance offered, will not be allowed to continue their membership unless they purchase the insurance backed option in addition to their regular membership. In my mind, that makes it little better than a scam with a magazine.

So, to Tim Schmidt, I say NO.

Link to the letter "explaining" it all >>>here<<<
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

What value do you get with your membership other than the insurance?

Under the current system, you get a pretty decent (and expensively produced) bimonthly magazine with no advertising and forum membership. Under the new program you get that plus the insurance backed Defense Shield. At a cost of $115 annually up to $268 annually.

Next year, for just $50.00 more they will force you to buy a sash and a CCW badge or you can't belong (That's not true but those would have as much value to me as the "insurance backed" protection.)
    RugerMak, suntzu and ANGLICO like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Yeah, I read their insurance disclaimers, and they have every back-out clause you can imagine. You might as well send the money to me and I'll see if I can help out if you get in a pickle.
    jmlampert23 and RugerMak like this.

I'm a member of USCCA and I've researched their "DEFENSE SHIELD" insurance. I've asked Tim Schmidt to make a list available to it's members, who these attorney's are that have agreed to defend USCCA members. No response!! I asked for that information because the caliber of Lawyer matters in these cases. If he has enlisted attorney's that have little experience, are out two-three years from law school, or don't have much of a practice to begin with, how good are they going to be defending you. Better yet, what if their specialty's are not criminal defense attorney's!?!? I also asked if these attorney's are willing to defend member for the limit's of the policy, also got no response. I asked for a blank copy of the policy to research the fine print, no response. I asked for the list so that anyone with access to the services of "MARTINEDALE-HUBBLE, can check references, place of business, education, and how he or she are rated within the legal community. Sad to say, and I have not read yet that in order to renew membership you have to order defense shield, it will be my last year as a subscriber. I enjoy the magazine and their forum, but the expense out-weighs the purpose of the membership. If USCCA has ignored my request, do they have something to hide? Selling defense shield can be a very lucrative business for USCCA, but don't try shoving it down our throats, without giving full disclosure.

VIP Member
    I down-loaded one of their "free" reports to a brand-new email account, and immediately began receiving torrents of spam from just about everywhere in cyberia, as well as daily sales pitches from USCCA. Coincidence, perhaps.
    surefire7, CIBMike and MASSIVE like this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    PLEASE READ THE DISCLAIMER ON THEIR INSURANCE.

YOU ARE NOT COVERED ONLY THE USCCA IS COVERED!

THEY MAY GRANT YOU COVERAGE IF YOUR CASE IS WINABLE!
    RugerMak, hogdoc357 and CIBMike like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I carried memberships for years for myself and son in law and early on bought some of the training aids. But the whole organization has become a marketing shill for the "editors/owners/partners" (you pick the title) so I dropped both memberships. Some of the staff claim to be master instructors from some of the best training organizations around...well if they say so...
    "I" no longer found any substance in any of their offerings, YMMV.
    Fishshavers and RugerMak like this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

has anyone seen "Tactical Tim's" gun reviews on Youtube?? If you want a really good laugh and some of the worst gun reviews on Youtube, just do a search of "Tactical Tim". Tim is the President of USCCA.

Run.....do not walk away from this organization. Don't care if they are a sponsor here. They sell, sell, sell, sell, sell.
    jem102, jmlampert23 and RugerMak like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by bolocanolo View Post
    I'm a member of USCCA and I've researched their "DEFENSE SHIELD" insurance. I've asked Tim Schmidt to make a list available to it's members, who these attorney's are that have agreed to defend USCCA members. No response!!... I also asked if these attorney's are willing to defend member for the limit's of the policy, also got no response. I asked for a blank copy of the policy to research the fine print, no response. I asked for the list so that anyone with access to the services of "MARTINEDALE-HUBBLE, can check references, place of business, education, and how he or she are rated within the legal community...
    Just curious; did you ask your questions on their Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    Just curious; did you ask your questions on their Forum?
    You should see how many on that forum are bailing out... When I buy insurance, I expect all the papers in MY hands... Not to have to go to some forum to see what they will tell me...

Good riddance to bad rubbish... And frankly, though I'm certain DC can use the money... I would like them to dismiss this character and his company.

I will pledge this much... I will pay DC what I paid USCCA for my membership once the renewal notice comes.

DC is much more informative, timely, and valuable to me than USCCA has been.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Been a member for the past year - it was a gift. The magazine is OK, but for the most part, nothing you cannot get elsewhere and, in the end, let's be honest - there is really nothing new under the sun in pistol-craft and self-defense. If you have been reading for a while, you have seen it all before. And, as has been noted, the magazine is mostly a vehicle for selling the organization - hence no need for adverts - it is one (and, actually, I like the adverts in most gun mags).

Given the hard sell, the "Dear Friend..." approach, it all seems to be about making money - tapping into a constituency to take it for all they can - and with that as a backdrop, I hardly feel comfortable with this change. I will not be renewing. I have been looking into the ACLDN as a means of having some legal backup.
    RugerMak likes this.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

I did not ask the question on the forum. I did'nt feel it was the appropriate place to ask. I got an email from him, wanting to know why I had not joined "DEFENSE SHIELD" I'm sure a lot of other member did too. I chose to ask him on a reply to the email. I'm still waiting!!! That was not the first time I emailed the organization asking for information. I have yet to receive a response from anyone. The proof is not in the pudding in this case, it's in the fine print I'm afraid. It is true that you get frequent emails from the organization.
    RugerMak likes this.

USCCA is a scam IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    USCCA is a scam IMHO
    It certainly has become one... Shame, that.
    rdpG19 and RugerMak like this.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links