Perfect timing for WI CC

This is a discussion on Perfect timing for WI CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is just what we needed as the new CC law goes into effect. A local off duty cop has ND in the mall as ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MotorCityGun
  • 1 Post By Roy McC

Thread: Perfect timing for WI CC

Perfect timing for WI CC

This is just what we needed as the new CC law goes into effect. A local off duty cop has ND in the mall as he is reaching for his wallet to buy a pretzel. Fortunately nobody was hurt. The Anti's have already asked how many more will happen. If even a cop with way more than a 4 hour non-shooting training can do it the general public will be worse. I think the real problem will be that both departments involved decided it was a "freak accident" and it sound like nothing will happen to the cop. Does that set a precedent so if a CC has a "freak accident" he can expect the same treatment by law enforcement?

Southridge gun: Off-duty police officer accidentally fires gun inside Southridge Mall - WITI

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    This is just what we needed as the new CC law goes into effect. A local off duty cop has ND in the mall as he is reaching for his wallet to buy a pretzel. Fortunately nobody was hurt. The Anti's have already asked how many more will happen. If even a cop with way more than a 4 hour non-shooting training can do it the general public will be worse. I think the real problem will be that both departments involved decided it was a "freak accident" and it sound like nothing will happen to the cop. Does that set a precedent so if a CC has a "freak accident" he can expect the same treatment by law enforcement?

Southridge gun: Off-duty police officer accidentally fires gun inside Southridge Mall - WITI
    If my pistol accidentally discharged while I was reaching for pretzel money, I would expect my proficiency and competency to be called into serious question.

I'd love to know what holster he was using. Carried in WB, but managed to touch the trigger when reaching for his wallet????...

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post

More like a freak negligent discharge.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I think his department needs to train this fool, before someone does get hurt.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

"The incident occurred when the officer stopped in front of Auntie Annie's Pretzels and reached for his wallet, and the gun went off."

Yea, right! Another case of a firearm discharging of its own volition with no human intervention. If you believe that, would you like to buy a nice piece of land I have for sale?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Just saw this and thought I would provide some follow up
    Police sergeant charged after gun goes off at mall - JSOnline

The guy was a Sergeant and the head of an organization within the department. He has been a cop since 86. Had his duty M&P stuck in his waistband without a holster. I guess it just goes to show that we can never get complacent and stop thinking that we are always carrying a deadly weapon that demands respect.
    Last edited by Doubledown; December 9th, 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling

NO !

But all ND"s I've even known of were by LEO's. Got a lot of splinters into my hand as well.... from one by someone else.

Then there is the guy who was carrying (unknown if he had a cc permit --- probably not) a .380 in his back pocket without a holster.. and took it out to go into some place. Went to put it into his back pocket again when he returned to his car and shot himself in the butt... causing a trip to the nearest hospital.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    WE all know that this particular incident is totally irrelevant or unrelated to the likelihood that this would ever happen to a newly minted CCW-er in WI. It appears that this LEO had become so complacent with his sidearm that he was willing to carry it Mexican-style in his waistband. I'm not so sure if this particular fubar/snafu rises to the level of a crime/misdemeanor, but if he could be punished for stupidity, then I'd say he deserves to remain on the Neighborhood Task Force or street crossing guard duty, indefinitely.
    Anubis likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

In my younger days I was pursuing a career as an LEO. During my internship I spent several days riding with a Deputy from a rural county. He was a very large man. So large that he just barely fit between the door and the center console of his squad car. To keep his pistol from jabbing into his side while driving he would remove it from the holster and place it barrel first into the cup holder. A couple of times he even forgot to grab it before we walked up to a car for a traffic stop. God for I'd be was ever in a crash.

While I'm not trying to bash LEO's by any means, I no longer buy into the myth that they are somehow safer or better with firearms than any one else.

Quote Originally Posted by Yupp View Post

While I'm not trying to bash LEO's by any means, I no longer buy into the myth that they are somehow safer or better with firearms than any one else.
    While the idea is unsupported by any factual data, it is a common mantra of the anti-gun crowd.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    NO !

But all ND"s I've even known of were by LEO's. Got a lot of splinters into my hand as well.... from one by someone else.
    I have personally observed (first-hand) at least half a dozen unintentional discharges by non LEOs. Just saying...

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    This is exactly why my father taught me to NEVER EVER point a gun an any unsafe direction. Something I've seen MOST do. I even have to think twice before looking down the barrel of an unassembled gun. My gun never sweeps by others. is always pointed down or up except when I'm pulling the trigger. Mechanical devices and brains do fail. when both fail at the same time bad things can and will happen. I carry OWB for the same reason. Same thing for horizontal shoulder holsters. I'm not gigging those that do I'm just saying it breaks my training to NEVER place the pointy end of a gun in a direction that can hurt me or others. Over the years I've found very few hunting companions I was comfortable with. Just watch them with a shot gun or rifle and see how often they sweep by other people. Just makes my guts churn when that happens. Some of you will probably say I'm, being OVERLY paranoid. So be it but if your gun ever points at me even accidentally, loaded or empty, were going to have a long talk.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

When he gets back to the Police Station, he can tell Andy and Goober hey!
    Cloudpeak likes this.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I believe the LEO has been charged with Endangering Public Safety or at least that is what I thought it was. The police chief has said he thinks the DA over-stepped by charging the LEO and the police chief wanted to handle it internally. I disagree. Of course this was an accident but that doesn't mean it wasn't negligent. He lost control of his weapon Plaxico Burress style because he was carrying his M&P in his waistband without a holster causing it to slide down the inside of his pants. Plain and simple, the pistol was not holstered properly causing him to discharge his weapon in a negligent manner. There are holsters made for that type of carry. If any us of who have a permit to carry (still waiting on mine) did this, we would be charged without question. The fact that he his a LEO, makes it more justifiable to charge him. He of all people should know better.

Links