"No Guns Allowed"

This is a discussion on "No Guns Allowed" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On a similar note, here is NC I am certain that the signs on the ABC stores used to say something to the effect of ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: "No Guns Allowed"

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    On a similar note, here is NC I am certain that the signs on the ABC stores used to say something to the effect of 'if you have a gun in here you are guilty of blah-blah felony..." I noticed recently that they have changed and say, "No guns, concealed or otherwise", then in really fine print says as prohibited by gs.14-415.11. The law referenced is about stores posting signs. Personally, I think negating these signs to mean anything should be one of the next pro-2A items our legislature takes up.

2. Remove Ads

This comes up a lot here. I suppose, if you're the kind of person who enjoys conflict in your life, that you would want to confront every store owner who posts a "no guns allowed" sign on their premises. Make a big deal out of it, tell 'em you're never shopping there again, etc.

It may depend on your state, and on the exact wording on the signage, but in most places, such signs are cosmetic - they have no force of law.

Also, if that's the position of the store management, they don't need to post a sign. If they see you carrying a gun they can ask you to leave, just as they can ask you to leave for any other reason. It's only a problem if you refuse, in which case you are then trespassing.

Anyway, one liquor store near my house has a sign on the window: "Protected by Smith & Wesson." That's a better deterrent, in my opinion.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I'm not sure why everyone gets all worked up about these signs. If someone doesn't want firearms in their business that is there right and people should respect that. As firearms owners / carriers we have the right to take our business elsewhere if we so choose. Granted those business owners are stupid to think that those signs are going to stop them from being robbed, but last I checked there is no law about being stupid. Just my two cents I think people get way to worked up about those signs.
    jem102, IAm_Not_Lost and RoadKill like this.

VIP Member
    While the signs hold no weight here in VA, I honor them.

Can you imagine the outcry from the public if a business posted a "No wive's allowed on these premises" sign the door.
    BugDude likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm a stickler for obeying the laws to a T. I live in VA and the signs have no force of law. Unless specifically barred by statute, I carry concealed and go about my business. If asked to leave for whatever reason, I would leave immediately. I had a few conversations with businesses before, and all it seemed to do was give them more resolve on their position. Some folks, you just can't reach. My take now is do your thing in a legal manner and go on.
    jem102, 9MMare, hienykins and 2 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You actually obey those stupid signs? I haven't seen one yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    I went online and reviewed their store claiming why I will never step foot in there. I did leave my firearm in the car by the way.
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm a stickler for obeying the laws to a T. I live in VA and the signs have no force of law. Unless specifically barred by statute, I carry concealed and go about my business. If asked to leave for whatever reason, I would leave immediately. I had a few conversations with businesses before, and all it seemed to do was give them more resolve on their position. Some folks, you just can't reach. My take now is do your thing in a legal manner and go on.
    BugDude, I believe the quote is "Some men, you just can't reach."

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    This is exactly what I discovered when I talked with business owners that I have good relationships with. They are actually more concerned with other patrons finding you out and telling their friends the business allows guns in the establishment. They honestly told me they are far more concerned with the fallout from that group than the small percentage of licensed carriers they turn away. You all are absolutely correct, it's all about the money...but most of us have the ratios confused... The answer is change the laws, we will never have the numbers and that's how the business owners view it.
    noway2 likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Why waste your time with those signs? They have no legal weight. If you conceal carry, how would they know? I'm not changing my routine because their silly sign. Those are the places you want to carry as others posted before, it's a safe haven for the BG.
    Question: Is there legal ramifications for stopping a armed robbery in one of those places if it was clearly a good shoot?
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    Well guys I choose to obey law so I put it in my car and locked the door before I gave them a piece of my mind. Don't want to risk my carry permit getting jeapordized.
    No jeopardy here, Rugerguy.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.714

Specifically, Subdivision 17 will address this issue as a non-issue as far as your permit & your firearm go.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Sadly here in good ole' Nebraska those signs mean a heck of a lot and I would not want to be caught carrying if there was a sign posted. It is extremely annoying to walk up to a store.. see the sign.. and walk back to my car. (Sarcasm on) Thankfully they had that sign up because me, a legal CCW with a clean background, was going to go in and rob that store. But since they had the sign I decided to take my robbing elsewhere (Sarcasm off).
    RoadKill likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    This is exactly what I discovered when I talked with business owners that I have good relationships with. They are actually more concerned with other patrons finding you out and telling their friends the business allows guns in the establishment. They honestly told me they are far more concerned with the fallout from that group than the small percentage of licensed carriers they turn away. You all are absolutely correct, it's all about the money...but most of us have the ratios confused... The answer is change the laws, we will never have the numbers and that's how the business owners view it.
    Interesting perspective and one that I suspect really hit it on the head.

Indeed, the best place to focus your efforts would be on getting the laws changed. In a state with restrictive laws, there is plenty of evidence and support for the cause from other states that are less restrictive. Your state representative and / or senator may also be more concerned with your opinion than the idiot who thinks the sign protects him.

sgb
    Those signs aren't worth the space they occupy here in the gunshine state.
    gunsnroses likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

When I go to NC to visit family, there the signs do hold the weight of law so I abide by them accordingly.

Where I work is posted, and the big wheels at the local level understand it won't stop someone intent on doing harm. We've had 2 shooting incidents since I've worked there (both self-inflicted). It's a company-wide policy. I don't carry at work because it is also an HR policy and I need my job, but I do carry OC spray and a FLB at work.

About 6 months ago one of the big wheels at work was having to meet with an unstable employee about a behavioral issue and he brought a briefcase in with him (and his job doesn't involve a briefcase in any way). She called me into her office while he was waiting to talk to her and she asked if I had a gun. I replied, "Yes, locked in my truck..and thanks to our policies all I can do is stand outside the front door and wait for him to come out after he has done whatever it is he intends on doing." She looked at me like "holy crap." I ended up sitting just outside her office with her door cracked, unarmed.
    DirkD, Freedom Doc and RugerMak like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    Why waste your time with those signs? They have no legal weight. If you conceal carry, how would they know? I'm not changing my routine because their silly sign. Those are the places you want to carry as others posted before, it's a safe haven for the BG.
    Question: Is there legal ramifications for stopping a armed robbery in one of those places if it was clearly a good shoot?
    In some states those silly signs do hold weight, and that's fine by me, if a store owner wants to post a sign that requests no guns on the premises then that is his right. CCW holders need to be the ones who set a good example.
    jem102 likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links