"No Guns Allowed" - Page 4

"No Guns Allowed"

This is a discussion on "No Guns Allowed" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The safest way to do it is to take off the holster with the gun in it, and then put them both on together. Many ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: "No Guns Allowed"

The safest way to do it is to take off the holster with the gun in it, and then put them both on together. Many ND's happen while disarming/arming in a vehicle outside a prohibited place, and with a Glock, you run a risk of the trigger catching on a piece of clothing while reholstering in the car.
    I used to unload the gun before I left it in the car, so if it was stolen, it wasn't loaded, but more handling brings a higher risk of an ND.
    If I have to leave it in the car, I remove the gun and holster together, then remove the mag (I have a mag safety that prevents the gun from firing without a mag inserted), and lock it in a lockbox in the console. I take all mags with me, so if it gets stolen, it's inoperable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerguy View Post
    Well guys I choose to obey law so I put it in my car and locked the door before I gave them a piece of my mind. Don't want to risk my carry permit getting jeapordized.
    The law doesn't prohibit you from carrying if posted. They still have to ask you to leave.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong
    The safest way to do it is to take off the holster with the gun in it, and then put them both on together.
    Good suggestion, thank you. I will have to practice at this and keep this in mind when considering a holster. The one that I have, will allow this. I just have to learn how to maneuver myself to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrist View Post
    The law doesn't prohibit you from carrying if posted. They still have to ask you to leave.
    This may vary by state. I spent some time last weekend looking through the carry laws for my state, NC. I was hoping to find some exact clarification on this. The only thing I found was a reference that made it sound like you COULD lose your permit. Of course, could is an inexact term and could mean that if you fail to leave, etc.

I know that I myself, am NOT going to cause a disturbance in a store that would cause me to be asked to leave. If I were to, it would be based upon them noticing that I were carrying and objecting to it. For that matter, they aren't even required to post for that to be the case. In any case, I keep coming back to the same conclusion, that the best answer is to put pressure on the state legislature to change the law and as this thread is point out, there are valid (safety) reasons for it to be negated.

It would be good for folks to remember that this is a nationwide site and all state laws are not the same. Something may, or not be, required in one state but is entirely different in another state so write "In my (state) ......." IMO, that will clarify your statements to the rest of us. As for TN, signs with the required wording by the statue or a Gun Buster sign carry the weight of state law. What no one knows is if a sign that says "No Guns Allowed" (or such) will be considered sufficient by a judge because no one has tested the requirement of the exact wording from the statue. So based on the TN Gun Owners forum I would say that the majority of us don't enter these places or remove our weapons if we must go inside.

Suggestion, since 7 or 8 out of 10 robberries are commited while wearing a hoodie, why not tell the business to post "No Hoodies Allowed" instead of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone gets all worked up about these signs. If someone doesn't want firearms in their business that is there right and people should respect that. As firearms owners / carriers we have the right to take our business elsewhere if we so choose. Granted those business owners are stupid to think that those signs are going to stop them from being robbed, but last I checked there is no law about being stupid. Just my two cents I think people get way to worked up about those signs.
    IMO, these signs discrimanate agenst law abiding citizens. the laws are very slow to catch up. There was a time where you could say "blacks enter in the back" and no one had a problem. Thankfully in this case, common sence took over and required people and busnesses to treat eveyone the same. remember back when you could leagly smoke any time and any place you wanted? not that long ago.

it irkes me that there are some classes that you not allowed to discrimanate agenst and there are some classes that you are required to discrimanate agenst.
    lets not be broken up like that.....
    RugerMak likes this.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeshot View Post
    You both have "rights". Respect theirs just as you wish them to respect yours.
    Very nicely said.

I too think that if a business has asked you not to bring a firearm into their establishment, I don't understand why anyone would not respect that request. I like Rugerguy's approach of voting with one's feet and wallet. I'd certainly let my displeasure be known to the management and then I'd take my business elsewhere.

I don't think our constitutional rights are furthered by alienating the anti-gun crowd with disrespect or behavior that be viewed as illegal. We have a battle of perceptions to win. If the Open Carry meet is designed to promote a positive image of those who carry, what role does ignoring a business's requests serve?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I've often wondered why my RIGHT to keep and BEAR ARMS, which is IN THE CONSTITUTION, is not protected as well as my "right" to drive a wheelchair into a business, which is NOT in the Constitution.
    keano and RugerMak like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Granted those business owners are stupid to think that those signs are going to stop them from being robbed, but last I checked there is no law about being stupid. Just my two cents I think people get way to worked up about those signs.
    I don't think people get too worked up, they just let the owner know how stupid their idea is for posting the signs, they are stupid to do so just like gun-free zones, aka: victim disarmament zones
    I don't set foot in a place that has 30.06 signs even though I can carry as a cop, I also don't patronize the businesses that have their no guns signs up
    ....and no, there is no law against being stupid....or our jails and prisons would be filled to the brim
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    On a similar note, here is NC I am certain that the signs on the ABC stores used to say something to the effect of 'if you have a gun in here you are guilty of blah-blah felony..." I noticed recently that they have changed and say, "No guns, concealed or otherwise", then in really fine print says as prohibited by gs.14-415.11. The law referenced is about stores posting signs. Personally, I think negating these signs to mean anything should be one of the next pro-2A items our legislature takes up.
    Unfortunately, the signs in NC carry legal weight. Double unfortunately, I can find no standard for NC signs. Nothing about size, wording or placement. In other words, a handwritten post-it in illegible broken English qualifies. I don't believe I'll be the one to test the limits of that law.
    In Florida, you never see signs on private property. You can be asked to leave for wearing the wrong color socks. They're meaningless gibberish (unless you're entering the courthouse).
    I find it ironic the TX chapter code for gun signs is 30.06? I think I'd prefer it as 5.56 myself.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I've often wondered why my RIGHT to keep and BEAR ARMS, which is IN THE CONSTITUTION, is not protected as well as my "right" to drive a wheelchair into a business, which is NOT in the Constitution.

Hmmmmm, I think there are specific laws that have been passed, stuff like the ADA, that mandate wheelchair access. Perhaps you should ask your representatives to draw up a bill and get a law passed allowing citizens to carry their arms wherever they like, regardless of the property owner's preferences.

I'm afraid that until the Supreme Court decides that your right to carry arms outweighs the rights of property owners or the states' ability to pass and enforce laws restricting weapons from some locations, e.g. courthouses, you'll just have to remain affronted.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    We all know there is no rational reason to post no-guns signs. I waste no time trying to argue the point with corporate lawyers a thousand miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    ...they are far more concerned with the fallout from that group than the small percentage of licensed carriers they turn away. You all are absolutely correct, it's all about the money
    Before smoking was banned in restaurants, only about 30% of the population were smokers. If it were all about the money, restaurateurs would have voluntarily eliminated smoking previously to please the 70%, but they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    When you are carrying and decide to leave it in your vehicle do you take any 'special' action when putting it back in your holster or do you leave it where ever you put it in your car?
    I never leave it in the car because I won't patronize a business that prohibits my carrying.

Unfortunately, the signs in NC carry legal weight. Double unfortunately, I can find no standard for NC signs. Nothing about size, wording or placement. In other words, a handwritten post-it in illegible broken English qualifies. I don't believe I'll be the one to test the limits of that law.
    Agreed. I did some additional research and it looks like the offense is a 2nd degree trespass, which is the lowest form of misdemeanor (class 3), not that I wish or intend to do anything to get one . Part of the problem is that they aren't even required to have a sign, just make their intentions known. One of my concerns is the proverbial, what if you didn't even notice the stinking sign?

The thing about these stupid signs is that it isn't even really about respect. I get the thinking behind these signs in that they think they are preventing crimes and we all know they are not. This forum is full of examples to that effect. This is part of why they are so irritating, that and as I brought up in an earlier post, they cause more problems than they solve: for the non criminal. As we have also said in many a post, you can't reason with an anti because their actions aren't based upon reason. Instead, the only (rightful) thing you can do is get your legislature to take away the force of the signs.

I never leave it in the car because I won't patronize a business that prohibits my carrying.
    Thankfully, I have seen VERY few places that are posted. Unfortunately, by state law here and in several other states, the major majority of restaurants are off limits too. All because the view is that we are criminals who haven't committed their crime, yet, but are only a minor provocation away from doing so.
    Anubis and RugerMak like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Hmmmmm, I think there are specific laws that have been passed, stuff like the ADA, that mandate wheelchair access. Perhaps you should ask your representatives to draw up a bill and get a law passed allowing citizens to carry their arms wherever they like, regardless of the property owner's preferences.

I'm afraid that until the Supreme Court decides that your right to carry arms outweighs the rights of property owners or the states' ability to pass and enforce laws restricting weapons from some locations, e.g. courthouses, you'll just have to remain affronted.
    Laws that say parts of the Constitution mean what they say seem redundant.

Freedom of speech was considered absolute until SCOTUS began chipping away at it but now it's stronger than ever. The 2A has been largely ignored until quite recently.

Oh and property rights in this context, also not in the Constitution.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

One thing to keep in mind is that the constitution declares rights that the government shall not infringe. It doesn't mean that a non govt entity can't. An employer being the typical example, in regards to what you can and can't say in and outside of work. In order to mandate that non govt entities to acknowledge your rights, the 2nd or otherwise, will take legislation. Now whether this legislation is best enacted at the state or federal level is another question.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links