"No Guns Allowed" - Page 5

"No Guns Allowed"

This is a discussion on "No Guns Allowed" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JJVP Here in Texas we see those "No Guns" sign and after pausing a moment to laugh, we go right in. I ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: "No Guns Allowed"

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    Here in Texas we see those "No Guns" sign and after pausing a moment to laugh, we go right in.
    I agree, but don't those signs have force of law in TX?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    I agree, but don't those signs have force of law in TX?
    No. They do not. In Texas, there are very specific requirements for signs. There is specific text that must be supplied in both English and Spanish, the letters must be block letters in a color that contrasts with the background of the sign, and the letters must be at least one inch tall. Property owners can also just hand you a piece of paper or a card that contains the text in English and Spanish, or they can tell you orally, in which case, they do not have to meet any specific requirements. Just saying "no guns" would be sufficient.

Rugerguy one of the perks of carrying in MN is that the signs on the door don't mean much. They actually have to notice that you are carrying and ask you leave before you would be in jeaporday of getting in trouble. Since most of us carry concealed, the signs have little to no effect on me and where I carry.

I do always mention it to the management when I come across them because they need to know it is pointless.

Ex Member
    I recently switch to M&I bank from Fifth Third. First time I walked in, to speak with the manager I saw their "NO GUNS" sign. I went into the managers office, introduced and explained I was LEGALLY armed and EVERY time I will come in I will be armed. He looked at me and said "Ignore it."

No sign no business, I move on to a competitor that doesn't post one

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -V
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    We all know there is no rational reason to post no-guns signs. I waste no time trying to argue the point with corporate lawyers a thousand miles away.

Before smoking was banned in restaurants, only about 30% of the population were smokers. If it were all about the money, restaurateurs would have voluntarily eliminated smoking previously to please the 70%, but they didn't.

I never leave it in the car because I won't patronize a business that prohibits my carrying.
    AT 30% no that is way too much money but I have yet to see a state over 3% licensed; yes, they will endeavor to keep the 97% pleased. So, it "is" all about the money and smokers never elicited the irrational fears firearms do although cancer is a much more diabolical way to die!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Wait, those "No Firearms" signs are referring to me?
    RugerMak likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    Suggestion, since 7 or 8 out of 10 robberries are commited while wearing a hoodie, why not tell the business to post "No Hoodies Allowed" instead of guns.
    I've seen a ton of stores that post "No Hoodies" with the hood up. They didn't have a no firearms sign.

In my part of AZ if you see a male in a hoodie he is generally one of two things. Homeless or a banger!!
    Last edited by jmiked; November 17th, 2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Typo
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

I know in Wisconsin that a business that posts a sign not allowing concealed weapons on property will have higher liability insurance. Owners who post signs wave the right for their employees to protect themselves thus the owner takes on all liability.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    Suggestion, since 7 or 8 out of 10 robberries are commited while wearing a hoodie, why not tell the business to post "No Hoodies Allowed" instead of guns.
    Seen those signs.
    "Look at there, America's only contribution to western civilization- turning right on red light." Clarkson Top Gear UK

Bass Pro Shops (in CO) requires checking guns at service counter. It makes me laugh that a sporting goods store would risk alienating a great share of their customers. Whem asked about legal carry 2 employees have said No and 2 have said Yes. I would like to hear other's experiences. For now I will believe the Yes's or shop somewhere else.
    Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Bass Pro Shops (in CO) requires checking guns at service counter. It makes me laugh that a sporting goods store would risk alienating a great share of their customers. Whem asked about legal carry 2 employees have said No and 2 have said Yes. I would like to hear other's experiences. For now I will believe the Yes's or shop somewhere else.
    I carry every single time I go to Bass Pro Shop, those signs are talking about customers that are bringing a firearm in to be worked on. Same as Gander MTN. What tehy don't want is for you to bring in a rifle to get worked on that is loaded and you thought it was unloaded, that's a bad situation. The same with a pistol when you are looking for a new holster. Bad idea to try out a new holster with your CCW that is loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I carry every single time I go to Bass Pro Shop, those signs are talking about customers that are bringing a firearm in to be worked on. Same as Gander MTN. What tehy don't want is for you to bring in a rifle to get worked on that is loaded and you thought it was unloaded, that's a bad situation. The same with a pistol when you are looking for a new holster. Bad idea to try out a new holster with your CCW that is loaded.
    MAYBE. That is not what their sign says or at least half their employees understand. Other gun stores I frequent have a CCW disclaimer on their "No guns in the store" sign. I do have CCW friends who will not go to Bass Pro due to their vague policy. One would have a hard time arguing "intent" based on what the sign says.
    Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Check with your Store and post back, I'll do the same, but I've heard of people asking in many store and being told it only applies to OC and not CC. Signs have no force of law here in VA so I could care less, but I still don't like to give my money to companies that pull that crap, ESPECIALLY one the sells guns!!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links