"Don't be a victim of your own mistakes, Shoot or Don't Shoot"

This is a discussion on "Don't be a victim of your own mistakes, Shoot or Don't Shoot" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Second time I had to use my firearm to prevent a fatal outcome or visit the local Authorities. I was taking my K9 out about ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: "Don't be a victim of your own mistakes, Shoot or Don't Shoot"

"Don't be a victim of your own mistakes, Shoot or Don't Shoot"

Second time I had to use my firearm to prevent a fatal outcome or visit the local Authorities. I was taking my K9 out about 2:00AM because she became ill, I did remember to grab my Model 36 and through it in my pocket I rushed her out and was massaging her tummy when I heard a noise from behind us (not aware of my surroundings, Big Mistake!, I had walked into a drug deal taking place but was paying more attention to the one that cares for me, One of the outstanding druggies reached down attempting to stab my dog cutting me in my left peck with a scaple, the second swipe cut my abdomen just missing my liver by 1/16 of an inch, whhile still doing my best to protect my extremely sick pup from attacking and most iikley killed I was able to grasp my revolver, they saw the flash of the laser and I heard 1 yell get out of here, by the time my firearm was in a position to safely fire they were 20 + feet away running with their backs toward me, SHOOT OR DON'T SHOOT, though I was cut severely the situation had de-esculated and though I most likely would of been cleared by a jury the only choice by Law was don't Shoot, and you have less than a few seconds to choose, do I fire possibly injuring or killing one or both or do I save $100,000.00 in leagle fees or time in jail because I new the immeadiate danger had passed and called mobil 911 who responded within 3 minutes. You must remember to carry is a privledge and shooting a person in the back as they are running away does not put you in eminent danger or life or lim. I am fine my pup is fine and the responding authorities simply stated that very few would have had the thought process down to know that they would have had to take me in for possible homicide or 2nd degree for using my firearm not for self defense but to get even. I am a Certified NRA Instructor and I cannot preach enough to practice, and know the Law, You must know when to shoot and when not to. Remember you have a second if luckey to make all the decissions I made to prevent myself from becoming a criminal. Welcome to California. Shooting at a piece of paper once enough is not practice, Join the IDPA or USPSA or NRA and know your rights. In 40 plus years carrying this was the first time I set myself up to be a victim either by the criminal or the Authorities. Spend a day in your local court housse and see what really happens when you are in front of the attorney, the judge and the bleeding hearts that don't feel we have the right to protect our family or maybe YOU.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 6th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
    GunTrooper likes this.

2. Remove Ads

mrm
    Wow thanks for the reminder, Thank God you had the thought to take it with you.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Or move out of a state that will not let you protect yourself, tough call , still better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. By attacking you they have crossed the line, next time they will kill and not give their next victim a chance to protect themselves.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Wow!! What a story...

Yeah... wow

VIP Member
    Ummmmm wow, yeah, incredible.

Don't know many places that would consider it a good shoot for shooting someone in the back, 20 plus feet away, leaving the scene and so on.

I would love to read the police report on this incident to see how they worded it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Wow +3. Any news reports on this? It would be interesting to see how the media views it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    Or move out of a state that will not let you protect yourself, tough call , still better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. By attacking you they have crossed the line, next time they will kill and not give their next victim a chance to protect themselves.
    Very few, if any state will call a shot to the back a good shoot. If they had been facing him that is a different story. Although CA would probably still frown on it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wow. Glad you got through that alive. Your use of your weapon saved your life and well done on having the presence of mind to do so with the restraint the law appears to require. As Ted Nugent says, I'd rather have a "dead offender" than a repeat offender. But at least you're alive and not in jail.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Wow!! What a story...
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Yeah... wow
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Ummmmm wow, yeah, incredible.

I would love to read the police report on this incident to see how they worded it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Wow +3.
    Unbelievable, I can't imagine how you manage to put that together, great story, glad you could share. Is the dog OK?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Thanks for the story. One statement in your post that I found telling, was that "carrying is a priviledge". Another indication of how different things are in your state. Take care and stay safe!

Thanks for sharing your story. You must really have some juice to be able to CCW in the Peoples Republic of California! God's Blessings to you.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Yeah... wow
    Double wow....

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Unbelievable, I can't imagine how you manage to put that together, great story, glad you could share. Is the dog OK?
    Yes the word unbelievable comes to my mind too...

Yes the word unbelievable comes to my mind too...
    ya think?
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links