Walmart confounds me

This is a discussion on Walmart confounds me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In NY state, all walmart employees are required to ask for your pistol permit when you buy pistol ammo. My guess is that their software ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Walmart confounds me

In NY state, all walmart employees are required to ask for your pistol permit when you buy pistol ammo. My guess is that their software tells them what can be used for pistols and what cannot. The first time I told them I didn't have my permit on me, they refused to sell it to me without it. When I questioned why they said it was the law. I adamantly scolded them that this was not the law in NY but a stupid walmart policy. They continued to argue with me. Seems like this is the answer walmart trains them to say, even though it is far from the truth. What happened when I tried to buy ammo from walmart the second time? Well there was not and will never be a second time. You see the first time I even asked for the store manager and even he said it was the state law. Kind if crappy walmart has this policy and even has a policy to blame it on a law that doesn't exist, atleast for now. Good thing they don't sell ammo to someone without a permit in NY, people can get hurt when you throw a round at them. Might as well stop selling baseballs as well lol. Just another way for the establishment to make it harder for people to exercise their right to self defense. It still amazes me that anyone in NY would buy ammo from walmart. Yes they might save a few bucks but why support this policy. Sometimes I still go to walmart when my wife really wants something on sale there, and I stroll over where the ammo is sold and still see some fool willingly pull out his permit to buy ammo lol. I also do not shop, and refuse to let my wife bring our newborn, to toys r us. They have a big sign that says no weapons permitted. Sounds like a big welcome sign to me for some deranged fool that wants to make a statement with a gun and a grudge. I do not want to put my family in danger there. I feel better about letting them shop where I, or some other law abiding pistol carrying citizen, can defend them if need be. In fact, I hold walmart in higher respect then stores like toys r us. Sorry for the rant, but stores that limit or eliminate my right to defend my family really upset me. I can guarantee that their policy's do not make it safer to shop and only cost them money. Do you know of any shoppers that only support "gun free" stores? No! Do you know of any shoppers that refuse to do business at these same stores? Yes! Either way I am going way off point of this topic. Guess bringing up walmart brought me to this point. Stay safe out there and support the merchants that support our rights!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As WHEC724 said, it is their POS software. That gives the cashier a prompt, just like for cigarettes and alcohol. It pops up on the screen and they have to enter a response to it, to continue with the sale. You also need to remember, that probably 95% of them couldn't tell the difference between a handgun round and a rifle round, or a shotgun round as far as that goes.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It never ceases to amaze me the things that gun owners get bent out of shape about. I think some people just look for something to be P.O'ed about.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I try not to buy anything from Wal-Mart. As a corporation whose business practices support the Chinese economy and balance of trade at the expense of the American economy, they don't need my financial support. Sam Walton would be turning over in his grave if he saw what his company has become.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Now exactly why corporate tracks that is a mystery to me.
    They don't "track" it. Well, in a marketing sense they might but that's something else... It's just that in some states it's illegal to sell handgun ammunition to anyone under the age of 21. The next question that pops up on the screen after the "is this for a handgun" is "Enter the DOB of purchaser."

If the buyer is CLEARLY over the age of 21 the seller can override the question but if the buyer looks young they will likely ask for ID to enter in the DOB.

(I used to work at WalMart)

I dont think I have been asked that question at wally world . They must be just blowing threw it on screen.

As if we needed another reason not to shop at walmart...

BigJon

It's just that in some states it's illegal to sell handgun ammunition to anyone under the age of 21.
    he told me ... in some states it is illegal for anyone under 21 yrs old to buy handgun ammo
    My understanding is that Federal law prohibits the sale of ammunition than can be used in a handgun to anyone under 21. Could someone enlighten as to which states allow 18-20 year olds to purchase handgun ammo?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I hope that if I ever have to work at a Walmart, I wont be expected to know everything about every item in the store. It would be humiliating when anything came out of the automotive or cookware departments.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman;
    The first time I told them I didn't have my permit on me, they refused to sell it to me without it. When I questioned why they said it was the law. I adamantly scolded them that this was not the law in NY but a stupid walmart policy.
    I'm betting you have a rogue Mgr... which has occurred before, making up their OWN policy.

Write an email to Walmart Corp in Bentonville, Arkansas.... and they will get that cleared up. Walmart's policies are to follow the Fedl & state's laws on guns and ammunition. If you are legal to carry, then you can carry in their store, etc...... if it's legal to buy it, buy it.

It would not be the first time they have had to "INFORM" a Mgr to quit making up their own policies and straightening them out.

FEDERAL LAWS --- NRA : http://<br /> http://www.nraila.org...ead.aspx?id=60

Ammunition
    As with firearms, shipments of ammunition must be accompanied by a written notice of the shipment`s contents. It is unlawful for any licensed importer, dealer, manufacturer or collector to transfer shotgun or rifle ammunition to anyone under the age of 18, or any handgun ammunition to anyone under the age of 21.

It is illegal to manufacture or sell armor-piercing handgun ammunition.
    I doubt they would prevent your wife/family member from buying ammunition for you as a present... assuming you are of legal age to own it.

I don't know when this law was enacted, or if it was part of the 1968 gun control law, but when I was 12 yrs old I used to go in the hardware store and buy .22 ammo for my rifle with no issues. Times have changed.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    As WHEC724 said, it is their POS software. That gives the cashier a prompt, just like for cigarettes and alcohol. It pops up on the screen and they have to enter a response to it, to continue with the sale. You also need to remember, that probably 95% of them couldn't tell the difference between a handgun round and a rifle round, or a shotgun round as far as that goes.
    Well said. As funny as it is to talk about some of the things Walmart employees ask, 10 year's ago I would have probably been just as ignorant on the topic as some of them are. Caliber "names" don't always make a whole lot sense to begin with, and to anyone who isn't overly familiar with guns it's just another random sequence of numbers and sounds.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

KDV
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I try not to buy anything from Wal-Mart. As a corporation whose business practices support the Chinese economy and balance of trade at the expense of the American economy, they don't need my financial support. Sam Walton would be turning over in his grave if he saw what his company has become.
    Couldn't agree more

However I do buy WWB 9mm there because it's inexpensive.

I always get asked if it's for a handgun and have a hard time finding someone with a key to the ammo case. I'm on second shift at work and have to go in the mornings because ammo sales are only between 6am and 10pm.
    The perpetual changes which have been rung upon the wealthy, the well-born, and the great, have been such as to inspire the disgust of all sensible men.
    Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers No. 85

Ex Member Array Jim Rat-a tat tat's Avatar
    I am 45 years old and recently I was carded when buying an R rated movie at Walmart to make sure I was 17 or older. Now granted I look young but...

I get asked that somewhat often but the guy knows whats what and is just required to ask, but one thing that happened once when i was 16 or so my dad and i bought a bunch of shot gun shells and i was help carry them and the manager asked how old i was and told him 16, and the manager told told us that because i was under 18 i wasnt allowed to carry the boxes of shells around the store due to some policy

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't buy much from WM, and the less the better. On the 2 or 3 occasions I bought ammo there, they never bothered to ask what it was for. Maybe the sales staff got wise and instead of asking, they just input yes or no.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links