Walmart confounds me - Page 3

Walmart confounds me

This is a discussion on Walmart confounds me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gymrat I am 45 years old and recently I was carded when buying an R rated movie at Walmart to make sure ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Walmart confounds me

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    I am 45 years old and recently I was carded when buying an R rated movie at Walmart to make sure I was 17 or older. Now granted I look young but...
    What gets me is the "We card everyone who doesn't look over 25" signs. If one doesn't know what "over" 18 or 21 looks like, then what does over 25 look like?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Walmart confounds me
    Wally World was designed that way. It even confounds those whom created it. Just the way things were meant to be. Science cannot explain everything no matter how much faith you put into it. Amen.
    9MMare likes this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Possible smartass answers to, "Is this for a handgun?"

1. No, I'm going to throw them in a fire.

2. I don't know what the guy outside is going to do with them.

3. I was planning on putting them in a vise and hitting them with a nail.

4. No, a footgun.

5. I haven't decided yet.

6. All my guns are fired by hand.

7. I wanted to see if they fit in my pencil sharpener.

8. I use them for decoration only.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

My biggest complaint is there never seems to be anyone around to make the sale. I have to go hunt them down the aisles and find someone. Never been asked what its for or anything other than "is that all?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro07 View Post
    I get asked that somewhat often but the guy knows whats what and is just required to ask, but one thing that happened once when i was 16 or so my dad and i bought a bunch of shot gun shells and i was help carry them and the manager asked how old i was and told him 16, and the manager told told us that because i was under 18 i wasnt allowed to carry the boxes of shells around the store due to some policy
    How's that ? There are rifles now in 9mm, .38, .357, .45, .40, .44 calibers, etc. IF you are 18 and the seller believes the person is buying it for a rifle, he is legal to sell it to him. If he believes he is buying it for handgun, Fedl law says he cannot sell it to them unless they are 21.

So, the guy would have no idea really, if that 9 mm is for a handgun or a rifle, but per the laws... he's required to ask if there is any question about their age. I think Walmart is just doing some CYA by asking the question.

Quote Originally Posted by aworldexport;
    My biggest complaint is there never seems to be anyone around to make the sale. I have to go hunt them down the aisles and find someone. Never been asked what its for or anything other than "is that all?
    I just start jiggling the cabinet door... and someone's there within 60 seconds. I think the guy watching the camera's tells them.... 'you better get over there and see what that guy is doing". I found I get service quick and no longer have to search the aisles.
    Last edited by Eagleks; November 6th, 2011 at 03:23 AM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Not a walmart incident, but the comments about carding and "do you look 25" reminded me of it. My wife and I had gone to dinner once and they took my drink order first and i ordered a beer. My wife, who is only 1.5 years younger (I am 40) asked for some spiked strawberry lemonade drink and they asked for her ID. She didn't have it on her and changed her order to a coke. To be quite honest, even though it was within their right to require ID this pissed me off and I changed my drink order to water. The waiter got all uppity with me about that and I told him that while I respect their right / need to card someone that if they weren't going to serve my wife, they wouldn't serve me either. For some reason this idiot server couldn't get it through his skull that I wasn't disputing being server alcohol without ID and kept arguing that they couldn't server her without it. Finally the manager came over and asked what the problem was. I told him that he asked for my wife's ID which was fine and since she didn't have it and they couldn't serve her I was changing my order. The manager looked at her and asked, "What did you order ma'am?", and then said that he would take care of it. She got her drink, I got mine, and we got a different server without even asking for one.

Are these for a handgun....nope they're for a tank
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

"Is this for a handgun?"
    Makes you want to answer, "No, it's for a blender."
    9MMare likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

tell em it's for arts and crafts at Bible school

My theory for the "is this for a handgun?" questions and the looks I get is that if this ammo is indeed for a handgun, then there is the possibility that a dangerous situation could soon occur. Obviously, rifle and shotgun ammo are woefully underpowered to harm humans, and so I am never asked if this ammo is for a rifle or a shotgun. I am 6'5, 220, quite gray for my 41 years, and have been informed that with my beard I don't look a day over 60. But you cannot beat their prices.

My dad and I had a bad experience with ol Wally World. We went in one night (not that late) to purchase another .22 rifle, ammo, a case for the rifle, and a few other range items. (We were heading out to the range early the next morning and didn't want to use up range time at the store). We walked back to the hunting section and got everything we needed then headed to the counter to have someone get the rifle out of the locked display case. We asked several workers for assistance and they kept paging someone to the counter. A lady FINALLY showed up after 30 minutes and asked what we needed. We told her we would like a .22 rifle. She just looked at us for a minute then said it was to late in the night to sell firearms. We asked what time the cut-off was. She just looked at her watch and said "Now." Well, dad got super ticked. He just chucked everything on the counter and out the door we went. We went to another Wally World about 10 or so minutes away and they were more than happy to sell us what we wanted. Dad never has bought any gun related stuff there other than some cleaning supplies since. I'll by some 12ga shells every now and again.

At times I have been asked I say machine gun That stops them cold. Not in their computer I find if I buy in sporting goods I am not asked this silly question. They just hit the botton.
    I would my self like to stop using Walmart for any thing I really dislike their most every thing china connection since Sam died.

If you watch the news You will find their parking lots are becoming real crime zones I suggest you alway go armed when shopping at Walmart.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

I've never been asked that at Walmart, or whether I was over 21. I have heard the cashier make a comment that I was over 21 when ringing up the sale, but she didn't ask me the question.

If the questions bother you all that much, go buy your ammo somewhere else.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Most all the high school grad jobs with retirement / benefits have been sent out of the country and now most are working part time with no benefits or retirement plus low pay. Thank our leaders for a job well done....
    Flasher likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links