Walmart confounds me

This is a discussion on Walmart confounds me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purchased some 9mm ammo at WW yesterday. I saw on the little register screen for the customer's viewing that it popped something up about 11/6/90 ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Walmart confounds me

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Purchased some 9mm ammo at WW yesterday. I saw on the little register screen for the customer's viewing that it popped something up about 11/6/90 (aka 21 years ago) but the guy didn't say anything and apparently just hit the button to make the question go away. I would guess that the same prompt would come up if you tried to buy beer.

2. Remove Ads

Hm.. my Walmart is a little different.. or the sales person was not doing their job..... I go up and ask for a few boxes of ammo.. um these? yes.. those. Here ya go.. you still have more shopping? yes I do. Okay.. just pay for it when you complete your shopping. Ok.. Cool! LOL. So then I'm going around shopping with 3 boxes of ball ammo in my cart. :)
    SGT likes this.

WM Employee : "Sir, is this ammunition for a hand gun?"

Me-WM Customer : "Hmmmm....if it is does that mean it will be lower in price than all the other ammunition?" "If so, I'd like a case of it at that lower price!"

Joking aside, I have never been asked if the ammo that I would by as Wally World was for pistol, rifle or shotgun. I think it depends on the particular state and laws regarding sale of ammunition especially to minors.

Of course I still look like I'm 12 years old, even though I was born in 1956.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    They always ask me the "is this for a handgun?" question, too.
    I buy a lot of ammo from Wal-mart and don't remember them asking me. Next time I buy some 9mm ammo and they ask me I'm gonna say "no, it's for my Uzi."

My biggest complaint about Wal-mart is nobody is ever working the gun counter and I always have to go hunt someone with the key to the ammo case.
    CountryGal likes this.

I don't go to WallyWorld very often, but the few times I have and purchased ammo, I've never been asked if it was for a rifle or handgun, nor have I been asked my age. Of course I've only purchased .40 S&W for my wife's gun and .45 ACP for mine, so they probably were smart enough at the sporting goods counter to assume they were for handguns. And since I'm pushing 70 (but don't look a day over 60) and have grey hair and a grey beard, I imagine they figure I'm over 21.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I usually do not buy Ammo from walmart...I perfer to pay that extra dollar to the small local sporting goods store. However, when I do, I have not been asked that question..course that prob cause i am in a small WV town where more people know me then I know them..lol

Also, certain items are tracked because of the ability to use them in "bad" ways. if you buy a certain combination or quantities of "precursor" items they are suppose to ask what you plan to use it for. I deal alot with emergency management and reaction to disaster, and often times we buy the items we need for an event at WW or Ace hardwhare. course in the last 4 years only one guy at ACE asked us what we planned to do, he was properly trained. I have no problem with a software program telling these Highschool kids or whoever else is working a cash register to ask those question...course a bad guy will lie anyway..lol

I will not go into any detail on what items do what or any real specifics about my job because this is an open forum, However I will say that I have been doing it for a number of years and yes the Gov. did send me to several schools to learn it.
    CountryGal likes this.

My local WalMart hasn't ever asked before. Actually, they didn't even bother ID'ing me (most people think I'm under 18, although I'm not). But I live in a fairly conservative, gun-friendly area. I do have problems with Walmart always being out of .40 ammo, though. And at our particular Wally World, there is only 1 person who can open up the locked up ammo & check you out (back in sporting goods), so it can sometimes take awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's actually in their P.O.S. (point of service) software. Walmart has their own software developers and they write almost all of the software that they use. The cashiers cannot ring up an ammo transaction unless they specify whether the ammo is for a handgun or not. The savvy ones will just enter 'y' if they know it can be used as handgun ammo. The dumber ones will ask you about the box of 30-30 rounds.

Now exactly why corporate tracks that is a mystery to me.
    Never been asked once at my two local Wallyworlds in AZ.

I went in the other day and got incredibly lucky. There was a gentleman, probably in his early 50's with the vestiges of a crew-cut, working the sporting goods department. I said I wanted a 100rd box of Federal 9mil and the only thing he asked was "Just the one?"
    I love good ol' boys.
    SGT likes this.

Up here they know it is handgun ammo because that is the only ammo in the locked case. All of the rifle and shotgun ammo is out on the shelves so you can grab it and keep shopping. Now with deer season about to open most of the local gas stations and convenience stores are putting the ammo on the shelves. That way you can grab your ammo and beer in one quick stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I get carded at the Target on Colorado Avenue in Denver when I buy wine. I am 50 plus years old. The computers require the clerks to scan the back of my DL. Dah..............
    Seriously? They scan the back of your DL? Do all ammo sales do this, even from a gun store? I would find that very disconcerting and buy online only or something. I truly dislike the idea of keeping the record of who bought ammo. Maybe I am paranoid.

I guess since I go to same wally world to by ammo and most of the time get the same cashier I never get asked that question.

Since they make a rifle/carbine in virtually every caliber, I simply say "No" when asked that question.

I don't know is it's law or store policey, but it has to do with age. 18 years old to buy rifle ammo, 21 years old to buy handgun ammo.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

I never go to WalMart. Too many amateurs in there trying out their new CCW.

-cam

I'm never asked that, but I have to have them get it, since handgun ammo is in a case. So maybe there answering their own question. But I'm also in a Gun Friendly state.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links