Walmart confounds me

This is a discussion on Walmart confounds me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a guy that works the sporting goods department at my nearby Walmart here in Houston. This guys knows his stuff. Recognizes me everytime ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Walmart confounds me

There is a guy that works the sporting goods department at my nearby Walmart here in Houston. This guys knows his stuff. Recognizes me everytime I go in and will chat with me about ammo for a good while. He keeps the area well-stocked. Man I have learned a lot from this guy. Incredible service. That's how it should be.

2. Remove Ads

Went to wallyworld one time for a box of .223 rounds. When the lady was ringing it up, she held the box with both hands while running it over the scanner and very gently put the box down. I grabbed the box and shook it by my ear and she said rather angrily that those things are extremely dangerous and that I need to be more careful! I then tossed the box into a bag with a rather loud thud and she almost fainted from pure terror. The older gentlemen behind me with a vietnam vet hat on couldn't stop laughing at her silliness. I sure do love messing with the ignorant...
    Anubis and RevolvingMag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    They don't "track" it. Well, in a marketing sense they might but that's something else... It's just that in some states it's illegal to sell handgun ammunition to anyone under the age of 21. The next question that pops up on the screen after the "is this for a handgun" is "Enter the DOB of purchaser."

If the buyer is CLEARLY over the age of 21 the seller can override the question but if the buyer looks young they will likely ask for ID to enter in the DOB.

(I used to work at WalMart)
    I must look like an old fart even though I'm only 43 (at least until the 14th of Nov) because I have never been asked the "Is this for a handgun" question. weird.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Last month I need to pick up a USB thumbdrive and a replacement keyboard, I stopped by sporting goods and grabbed a box of 135gr Hydrashoks as I've been carrying 115gr ball and wanted something a little better (that was before I did research).

I paid for everything at the sporting goods counter ("over 21? good, have a nice day") and walked out past the regular cashiers with my bag.

As I'm passing the front doors the alarm goes off, I guess the cashier didn't wipe the tag on something.

The LP kid runs up to me "Sir, may I check your receipt"? "What did you purchase?"

I handed him my receipt and told him, "A flash drive, keyboard, and some ammo". His reply as he's digging through my bag "some what?", then he sees the ammo, turns pale, and says sheepishly "have a nice day".

I shrugged my shoulders and walked to my car.

I never get the question here in WY but I have in Colorado.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -V
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    They don't "track" it. Well, in a marketing sense they might but that's something else... It's just that in some states it's illegal to sell handgun ammunition to anyone under the age of 21. The next question that pops up on the screen after the "is this for a handgun" is "Enter the DOB of purchaser."

If the buyer is CLEARLY over the age of 21 the seller can override the question but if the buyer looks young they will likely ask for ID to enter in the DOB.

(I used to work at WalMart)
    ^^^^^ +1 (except I've never worked at walmart lol)

the question is only for age requirement for purchasing ammo, some clerks that can plainly see someone is of age just go through the screens, others that think they have to answer all the questions in the software and go through all the motions

I've bought a ton of ammo and about 1 out of 10 times the clerk is someone that doesn't recognize me or they are new and answer all the questions

yesterday was a new guy, I'm almost 40 and he carded me, said it was the system making him do it, I just laughed and showed him my id so he could enter my DOB on the screen
    in my experience, the question always gets asked when the register in sporting goods is closed out for the night and the ammo is walked up to the front to pay
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    When I buy ammo, I just open the door and find it on my porch.

Outside rules and regulations of why they have to ask, most Walmart employee's are lazy, uneducated turds. I drive 30 mins out of my way to buy things just to avoid our local Walmart. Going there and dealing with the moron shoppers and employees isn't good for my blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Outside rules and regulations of why they have to ask, most Walmart employee's are lazy, uneducated turds. I drive 30 mins out of my way to buy things just to avoid our local Walmart. Going there and dealing with the moron shoppers and employees isn't good for my blood pressure.
    Could you use a wider paintbrush there?

Maybe they're just people trying to support their families by working 60+ hours a week at two or three different jobs, and they're just too damn tired to kiss your ass every time you walk in the door. . .
    Majorlk likes this.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    If they ask me it will always be a no. It's none of their buisness what it's for.
    Anubis and bcvojak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    Could you use a wider paintbrush there?

Maybe they're just people trying to support their families by working 60+ hours a week at two or three different jobs, and they're just too damn tired to kiss your ass every time you walk in the door. . .
    Majorlk likes this.
    Disarming victims doesn't solve crime.
    ACLDN/USCCA/IDPA/NRA

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Happened again to me tonight. I bought some .22LR Mini-mags. If I'm not mistaken, the lady that helped me asked before she even rang them up. I think she's getting used to asking the question because she has sold ammo to me quite a bit here lately. Most times I go in to buy it, she's the one that waits on me. If she weren't always so nice about it, I'm quite tempted to answer with, "No, actually its for a crossbow."

I'm not singling anyone out here, but why do so many have to be rude, confrontational and/or sarcastic? Just answer the stupid question and be done with it without TRYING to appear "witty"...because you aren't... Do you really enjoy treating Walmart employees like gutter bums with room temperature IQs because you *think* you're that much better than them?
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    They always ask me the "is this for a handgun?" question, too.
    My Wal*Mart asks me about one in four.
    I always say the opposite. Just for fun.
    "Are these .380's for a handgun?" "No."
    "Are these 12 ga shells for a handgun?" "You bet."

The person at the counter doesn't care. He's just following W/M policy.

I managed the sporting goods dept at a Wal*Mart super center for several years. Being familiar with guns, I did not have to ask this question unless it was for .22's. The reason for the question has already been correctly stated. You must be twenty-one to buy handgun ammo by federal law. The register requires an answer to the question. In most Wal*Marts you must pay for ammo in the sporting goods dept. where the associates have been trained on gun laws. I will be the first to admit that with the high rate of turnover in employees at Wally World the training may be missing. Some Walmarts still sell long guns but many do not. When a new store opens that does sell firearms, there is a traininmg session for the stg gds dept mng and all assistant store mngrs, co mngrs. and the store mngr. conducted by an ATF agent.
    9MMare likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links