Mossy 500 Cruiser?

This is a discussion on Mossy 500 Cruiser? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is unclear to me reading the Florida Statutes if one can carry such weapons as a Mossberg 500 Cruiser concealed. Such a thing would ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By darbo
  • 2 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin
  • 1 Post By Old School

Thread: Mossy 500 Cruiser?

Question Mossy 500 Cruiser?

It is unclear to me reading the Florida Statutes if one can carry such weapons as a Mossberg 500 Cruiser concealed. Such a thing would be possible in the winter on say, neighborhood watch. This is mainly just a curiosity since I am new to concealed carry.

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I am not a FL resident though I have had a FL permit, this is a link to the law: The Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

Specifically:
    For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9).
    I am not a lawyer but it looks like FL does not want people carrying long guns concealed.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I would recommend the book "Florida Firearms: Law, Use & Ownership" 7th Edition by Jon H. Gutmacher. The author is a Fl. attorney that specializes in Fl. gun laws, etc. and of course wrote the book. It really helps understanding the law and is well worth the $31 it costs. And no I don't have any financial or personal gain from my statements.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by raysoar View Post
    It is unclear to me reading the Florida Statutes if one can carry such weapons as a Mossberg 500 Cruiser concealed. Such a thing would be possible in the winter on say, neighborhood watch. This is mainly just a curiosity since I am new to concealed carry.
    I thought it was neighborhood watch... not neighborhood Vigilance Committee. Generally we (those with Carry permits) don't go about the neighborhood, or to seedy areas looking for trouble. The carry permit does not give you arrest powers, does not make you a superhero, does not mean you have a license to kill.

However, there's a fellow named Gecko you might like to meet. My guess is, you'll never find him on this site.

In the mean time, welcome to the forum, activate your mouse, and READ... A LOT. Then if you feel the need, come back and ask that question, and others like it.

forgive my snideness... it's my crotchety coming out.
    gorilla45 and Secret Spuk like this.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

However, there's a fellow named Gecko you might like to meet. My guess is, you'll never find him on this site.
    Seems like a lot of that going on lately.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    forgive my snideness... it's my crotchety coming out.
    Ah, a kindred soul! At times I feel like the resident curmudgeon.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Ah, a kindred soul! At times I feel like the resident curmudgeon.
    Curmudgeon emeritus perhaps.

Oh, it shows that obviously?

Guess I'll have to refill that 'script for the "nice" pills!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'd like to know how you would conceal a Mossy 500 in Florida?

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Neighborhood watch patrol staff normally carry whistles and flashlights. Supposed to be a deterrent presence, not an armed posse. Besides which, lugging a 500 around would get old, fast.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Oh, it shows that obviously?

Guess I'll have to refill that 'script for the "nice" pills!
    I am in training so I like to watch the pro's.

Conceal a shotgun... Why?

Get yourself a Glock or M&P with a spare mag, or two and a J frame BUG and call it a day. Keep the shottie staged in the vehicle and fight your way to it if needed.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Cool

Welcome to the forum raysoar.

2011 Florida Law Enforcement Handbook states the following:

F.S.S. 790.01(2) "Concealed weapon" means any firearm as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

F.S.S. 790.01(6) "Firearm" means any weapon (including a starter gun) which will,is designed to,or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;

Under Florida law if you have a Florida Concealed Weapon Permit you could carry the Mossberg concealed.

There are much better alternatives as others have already mentioned for CCW then a pistol grip shotgun.

You are not by any chance the gentleman firing the Mossberg Cruiser for the first time last Thursday at a private range in Florida that I was on are you ?

If you were you would know that after progressing from the low brass birdshot to the high brass 00 Buck a pistol grip 12 ga is not for the faint of heart.

If you were that person I'm the guy who suggested putting a full stock on that puppy.

OS
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links