Quick question for you Virginia folk

Quick question for you Virginia folk

This is a discussion on Quick question for you Virginia folk within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm headed down to VA tomorrow afternoon to meet with a buddy of mine for lunch at an establishment that serves alcohol... Now I looked ...

Thread: Quick question for you Virginia folk

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Quick question for you Virginia folk

I'm headed down to VA tomorrow afternoon to meet with a buddy of mine for lunch at an establishment that serves alcohol... Now I looked around here and the net.. I think I remember VA passing a law saying you can now CC (If you choose) in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Is this correct?

Yes....but you cannot drink if you carry concealed.

ETA:
    J3. No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.
    Nothing preventing you from open carrying...or drinking....except:

J1. Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun, who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Conviction of any of the following offenses shall be prima facie evidence, subject to rebuttal, that the person is "under the influence" for purposes of this section: manslaughter in violation of § 18.2-36.1, maiming in violation of § 18.2-51.4, driving while intoxicated in violation of § 18.2-266, public intoxication in violation of § 18.2-388, or driving while intoxicated in violation of § 46.2-341.24. Upon such conviction that court shall revoke the person's permit for a concealed handgun and promptly notify the issuing circuit court. A person convicted of a violation of this subsection shall be ineligible to apply for a concealed handgun permit for a period of five years.
    All taken from: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I wasn't planning on having a drink since I have to drive home, but it's good to know I can CC if I choose. Thanks for the info.

VIP Member
    Coming from PA, you will need to disarm/secure before entering Maryland. PIA, but I do the reverse trip, VA to PA several times a year and I always stop in WVA, unload, and secure the ccw before entering Maryland.

Enjoy your visit. The foliage is amazing here right now, lots of bright orange, red, and yellow on the mountains.

Sponsored Links