Are Guns Inherently Unsafe? - Page 2

Are Guns Inherently Unsafe?

This is a discussion on Are Guns Inherently Unsafe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Gun designs vary a great deal and some are more inherently likely to be unsafe than others. In general, I think ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Are Guns Inherently Unsafe?

From OP

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Gun designs vary a great deal and some are more inherently likely to be unsafe than others. In general, I think the manufacturers could improve things to reduce negligent discharges and true accidental discharges.
    Have any particulars in mind? Not to start a war with Glockers, but I used to own a Glock and always thought an extra pound trigger-weight wouldn't be bad. I carried it alternating with revolver and due to the heavier trigger-pull of the latter, would find myself firing the Glock a second before my decision to. Not good for SD emergencies so I had a NY1 spring put in. Solved the problem but not a real enjoyable feel to shooting it. Not sure if I just shot the Glock by itself that would have been an issue.

Anyway, out of guns I have or had that's about the only thing I can think of.

To quote the Late Jeff Cooper: "Safety is nice but it's not first. Life is first and LIFE is not SAFE...."
    shooterX likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Guns are like chainsaws, they are dangerous in that they have the potential to do great harm and need to be treated with care and caution. Handled and used appropriately, they can safely provide a great service to the operator. On the other hand, you can give an idiot a spork and he can put both of his eyes out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    Have any particulars in mind? Not to start a war with Glockers, but I used to own a Glock and always thought an extra pound trigger-weight wouldn't be bad. I carried it alternating with revolver and due to the heavier trigger-pull of the latter, would find myself firing the Glock a second before my decision to. Not good for SD emergencies so I had a NY1 spring put in. Solved the problem but not a real enjoyable feel to shooting it. Not sure if I just shot the Glock by itself that would have been an issue.

Anyway, out of guns I have that's about the only thing I can think of.
    Let's not go there. It wasn't what I had in mind anyway so let's not start the war.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Are guns dangerous? Why of course they are...I wouldn't carry one if they weren't.
    Guns are simply tools...many tools have safety factors involving correct use.
    Indeed

My parents say and think Motorcycles are dangerous . ( I have heard that for the last 35 or more years )

Have any particulars in mind?
    When I was a kid my dad gave me a single shot shotgun. Gotta be safe right? Wrong! When you pulled the hammer back, it put the hammer right beside the lever to break open the barrel. They were just similar enough that on 3 different occasions I pulled back the hammer but did not fire, and when I went to let down the hammer the gun fired. My thumb was resting on the break open lever. Basically, something that really should be intuitive and be able to be done by feel was not. After the 3rd time I gave the gun back to my dad. You know it's bad when a kid is giving the gun back. But I was smart enough to know I wanted nothing to do with that gun.
    TheGiant likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Let's not go there. It wasn't what I had in mind anyway so let's not start the war.
    Right!

So to clarify: Glocks are safe guns but in my situation with two guns in rotation I used a heavier spring as LEOs do for their particular use of Glocks- (and they would not be using Glocks in such numbers if they were unsafe).

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    My gun is so dangerous it will self-fire if anyone even taunts it.

I should really think about getting a different gun...
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Safety is a philosophical question.

Pulling the trigger is a practical consideration.

Yes, guns, like unsupervised children and pets are inherently unsafe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Indeed

My parents say and think Motorcycles are dangerous . ( I have heard that for the last 35 or more years )
    That's pretty much what my work colleague said before he rode into the side of a trailer being pulled by a truck
    that turned left in front of him. After, he didn't say much of anything. His brains were on the concrete.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Right!

So to clarify: Glocks are safe guns but in my situation with two guns in rotation I used a heavier spring as LEOs do for their particular use of Glocks- (and they would not be using Glocks in such numbers if they were unsafe).
    I'm not getting into the G thing. It wasn't what I had in mind with my comment. But as for "they wouldn't be using if it weren't safe" remark, see my response about motorcycles; they use plenty of them and their safety is quite questionable.
    Andrew Jackson

Sorry Hopyard but that motorcycle analogy doesn't fly. Your coworkers death was the result of either the other drivers failure to yield the right of way making an improper turn in front of the motorcyclist or your coworkers failure to reduce speed to avoid a collision. Had it not been for an unsafe act by one of the operators there would have been no collision and no death would have resulted.
    Porp likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I've done some quick research and I haven't found a safe technology.... yet.....

but I'm still looking....

do pencils cause misspelled words? or math errors? do forks cause obesity? do cars cause drunk driving?
    guns are only dangerous when misused.
    Last edited by apvbguy; November 8th, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
    jumpwing likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Sorry Hopyard but that motorcycle analogy doesn't fly. Your coworkers death was the result of either the other drivers failure to yield the right of way making an improper turn in front of the motorcyclist or your coworkers failure to reduce speed to avoid a collision. Had it not been for an unsafe act by one of the operators there would have been no collision and no death would have resulted.
    And had he been in a car wearing seat belts he'd be alive. The issue was whether or not guns are inherently unsafe and someone used the analogy with motorcycles; which are indeed inherently unsafe. And I know that because I've been there and done that. There were 5 of us at work who were riding when this accident occurred. Our wives immediately put their feet down and took them away.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links