Are Guns Inherently Unsafe? - Page 3

Are Guns Inherently Unsafe?

This is a discussion on Are Guns Inherently Unsafe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not one single inanimate object ever made is unsafe without external influence....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Are Guns Inherently Unsafe?

Not one single inanimate object ever made is unsafe without external influence.
    OD* and TheGiant like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, they have the potential to kill or cause great harm. But then, so do toasters, autos, hairdryers, prescriptions, those adjustment strings on blinds, etc.
    jumpwing likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think if someone did a study, they would find the percentage of accidents for all drivers to be much more than the the same for shooters and gun accidents. It also seems to me when around shooters, there is much more conscious safety behavior than with drivers when I am in my car. Close to 40% or 50% of the time on my trips to and from work, about 40 min r/t, I see someone violating something, speed, cutting others off, or just plain inattention - cell phones etc. Sometimes I've seen accident scenes with ambulances etc. I think it's much easier to forget the danger of a 1500 lb. machine going 40 mph than it is when handling a gun.

Frankly, in the 5 years of my shooting - not a lot but still 5 years - I have never heard of serious gun accident or read of one in the news in my area, which includes a million people. (Though I don't know the number of shooters/hunters). Still, next to the car accidents which have been many and some I've seen, I think that is significant.

This is not be blase' - you need very heightened attention to safety when handling a gun - and I pray i never lose it - I'm just pointing out the reality of a greater danger we see all the time when we get behind the wheel.
    Last edited by walleye; November 8th, 2011 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Yes, they have the potential to kill or cause great harm. But then, so do toasters, autos, hairdryers, prescriptions, those adjustment strings on blinds, etc.
    I seriously had my head burnt by a hair dryer on a friends yacht - salt air had corroded the element and the fan blew all the molten bits of metal into my hair.

This is a tool you are supposed to aim at your head.

I feel safer with my chambered G19.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    INHERENTLY unsafe would be something like uranium: You don't have to pick it up; simply spending enough time exposed to it can give you problems. Ditto for sunlight, or a forest fire, or lightning, or a major hailstorm, etc.
    TheGiant likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    A gun is not inherently dangerous.

A lion is inherently dangerous.
    I think I'm going to change my opinion, a bit.

'Technically,' a gun isnt inherently dangerous (as in technical, not technicality)

but 'practically,' it is.

IMO
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    inherently:
    existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseparable element, quality, or attribute

I would say with 100% confidence that guns ARE inherently dangerous. So are cars, nail guns and kitchen knives. Something does not need to have a will of it's own have inherent properties.

Example: Skyscrapers are inherently tall.
    Hopyard likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I would say with 100% confidence that guns ARE inherently dangerous. So are cars, nail guns and kitchen knives. Something does not need to have a will of it's own have inherent properties.
    Then we have to add anything that presents a choking hazard to children under age 3.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Fight emotion with Logic until they can't take it anymore.

I sent this off the NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox News back right after the Va Tech shooting when we were taking a lot of flack about guns. No responses. didn't expect any. It wasn't because I didn't try.

I think it's pretty much in line with a majority of the post so far. But maybe ask their opinion on a letter to the editor you saw and see what they think.

Why are people so afraid of guns and not cars?

It is natural for people to be fearful of what they do not understand, or have not been introduced to. Often timeís people that seem strange, or act differently at first, sometimes turn out to be our best friends. Letís look at our relationship with the automobile, it has been said that we see our vehicle as an extension of ourselves, we like our cars, trucks, and sport vehicles. We also are comfortable around them, how much thought do you put to the fact that when you are standing on the curb waiting for the ďwalkĒ light, we are merely feet from three thousand pound and often much heavier moving objects. Or when we get that ďgoĒ to cross the street, the first vehicles in line as we pass are in their natural state of ready to go, held back only by the drivers contact with the brake pedal. This does not bother us in the least. We have grown used to it from years or riding in cars, watching cars, and even driving cars ourselves.

But what do we really know about that driver in the car that goes speeding past as we stand on the curb, or the driver anxiously waiting for the green light as we take our turn to pass through that very same intersection. We donít know a darn thing; they could be a priest, a Doctor, our neighbor from the next street over. They could also be a twice convicted rapist, someone with mental health issues, or a pedophile. Yet we walk right past, and donít give it a thought in the world. All this person has to do to change our world forever is to let their foot off the brake, intentionally or not, the deed is done. If they steered the car a little to the right and hit is as we stand on the edge of the curb, intentionally or not, yet we entrust our lives with these people we donít know, never saw before, or will probably never see again. And we donít give it a second thought.

Statistically speaking, automobile accidents kill more people every year than guns, that includes justified homicides, when a police officer kills a criminal, or a battered woman kills her abusive partner, that is a Homicide, a justifiable one, but it goes into the same column as a cold blooded murder when looking at deaths related to guns.

Yet some people will panic at the sight of a gun, even those who have never been touched by any kind of violence in their lives. Why, itís made of metal, and plastic just like the automobile that just passed them within 2 feet at 35 miles an hour. It has no will of its own, and is incapable of action outside of that precipitated by its possessor. Yet it strikes fear into the hearts of millions of people every day. Yet the same argument arises every time an attempt to relax the laws as to where citizens can lawfully carry a concealed gun, the streets will run red with the blood of the innocent. For over ten years we have heard this argument, it hasnít come to be. The reasons are the same as to why there arenít mass road rage incidents on our highways, People understand that their actions bare consequences. If you are cut off by an inconsiderate driver, do you run them off the road, or ram their car. No, you get mad, maybe cuss to yourself, and you get over it. Why. Because you donít want to get into trouble for causing an accident, you donít want to live with the fact that you hurt or killed someone, you also donít want to open yourself to litigation that would surely take everything you own. So why is it so hard to grasp that this same logic applies to the use of a gun?

Those of us that wish to carry a concealed handgun are not crazy, or looking to kill someone, we are by and large average citizens from all walks of life that want the ability to protect ourselves, we are aware that the government cannot, and should not be expected to provide us with 24 hour protection. The courts have time and again proven this fact. We are also not trying to push to have every American armed; it is a choice that each and every individual must make for themselves. Itís not for everyone. But please realize that we are not trying to force anything on anyone else, we are simply trying to protect our ability to protect ourselves, and our families.
    TheGiant and thephanatik like this.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Fight emotion with Logic until they can't take it anymore.

I sent this off the NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox News back right after the Va Tech shooting when we were taking a lot of flack about guns. No responses. didn't expect any. It wasn't because I didn't try.

I think it's pretty much in line with a majority of the post so far. But maybe ask their opinion on a letter to the editor you saw and see what they think.
    Very nicely written, unfortunately it relies far too heavily upon logic to strike a cord with the antis.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Then we have to add anything that presents a choking hazard to children under age 3.
    Yes, you are correct. Small objects that present a choking hazard ARE inherently dangerous to toddlers. They ARE NOT inherently dangerous to adults.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

No ! Only Unsafe people make guns unsafe !

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

VIP Member
    I like the simple answer of no, guns aren't dangerous, it's the misuse of guns or any tool that is dangerous.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    inherently:
    existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseparable element, quality, or attribute

Example: Skyscrapers are inherently tall.
    So please explain how my unloaded and locked up firearms are going to injure someone. They are not stored high enough that they will fall on you. In their current state unless acted on by an outside force they are no more likely to injure anyone than wall to wall carpet is. Unless someone manipulates them they are no more likely to cause any harm to you than the five iron in my golf bag. The Gold Wing in my garage is not going to hurt anyone unless someone takes it off it's center stand and does something with it.

Like motorcycles, a firearm is not inherently dangerous. That does not mean the most common circumstances under which it is used are not dangerous. A friend of mine was killed in a motorcycle wreck. He was playing with his new GPS and rode off the roadway and hit a guard rail.
    Some would say this proves motorcycles are inherently dangerous. But the motorcycle was not what killed him. Some would argue that he was killed by his GPS. But he was not injured at all by his GPS. If the guard rail was not there he might have recovered and got back on the roadway. But that does not mean guard rails are inherently dangerous. What killed Buzzy was that when he should have been focusing on the road in front of him he was trying to play with his new toy. What killed Hopyard's coworker was not his motorcycle but the inattentive driver who turned in front of him.
    There is a difference between something that is inherently unsafe and something that is unforgiving.
    Until someone creates a unsafe condition with it a firearm is no more dangerous than a rock.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Guns do not kill people! People kill people!
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links