Are Guns Inherently Unsafe?

This is a discussion on Are Guns Inherently Unsafe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by atctimmy Yes, you are correct. Small objects that present a choking hazard ARE inherently dangerous to toddlers. They ARE NOT inherently dangerous ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Are Guns Inherently Unsafe?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Yes, you are correct. Small objects that present a choking hazard ARE inherently dangerous to toddlers. They ARE NOT inherently dangerous to adults.
    Ah-HA!! So one's maturity level is the deciding factor? Then I resubmit, sir, that guns are NOT inherently dangerous.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    So please explain how my unloaded and locked up firearms are going to injure someone. They are not stored high enough that they will fall on you. In their current state unless acted on by an outside force they are no more likely to injure anyone than wall to wall carpet is. Unless someone manipulates them they are no more likely to cause any harm to you than the five iron in my golf bag. The Gold Wing in my garage is not going to hurt anyone unless someone takes it off it's center stand and does something with it.

Like motorcycles, a firearm is not inherently dangerous. That does not mean the most common circumstances under which it is used are not dangerous. A friend of mine was killed in a motorcycle wreck. He was playing with his new GPS and rode off the roadway and hit a guard rail.
    Some would say this proves motorcycles are inherently dangerous. But the motorcycle was not what killed him. Some would argue that he was killed by his GPS. But he was not injured at all by his GPS. If the guard rail was not there he might have recovered and got back on the roadway. But that does not mean guard rails are inherently dangerous. What killed Buzzy was that when he should have been focusing on the road in front of him he was trying to play with his new toy. What killed Hopyard's coworker was not his motorcycle but the inattentive driver who turned in front of him.
    There is a difference between something that is inherently unsafe and something that is unforgiving.
    Until someone creates a unsafe condition with it a firearm is no more dangerous than a rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Ah-HA!! So one's maturity level is the deciding factor? Then I resubmit, sir, that guns are NOT inherently dangerous.
    I submit to both of you that we are merely arguing the finer nuances of the definition of the word inherent. MCP1810, you make a fine argument and I agree 100% with your sentiment....Unforgiving VS inherently dangerous. <-- I like that, and it doesn't sound like liberal double speak.

In closing though, we are going to have to disagree. On the other hand, who cares? It's just a silly word and I am still pro gun. Both of you are still pro gun. The libs are still anti gun and will never change until their bubble of safety gets popped. Good day fellas. : )
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Most items in our lives are inherently dangerous... To the OP, I read and re-read your post and am still not sure of your point...

I saw a guy on Monday who was using a tractor with a silage unloader connected to a PTO (Power Take Off) which is a shaft that connects the hind end of the tractor and spins the shaft to power the unloader. It has more guards and safety devices than you can imagine. Well, somehow the sleeve of his coat got caught on the PTO, and whipped him around like a rag doll...

Guns are definitely dangerous, and anyone trying to harm my family or myself will quickly realize how dangerous they are!

Bill
    protek likes this.
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

I used to have a bumper sticker that said " Guns don't kill people drivers with cell phones do"
    One cell phone talking driver ran a read light and t-boned my wife thankfully she limped away car was totaled.

Anything can be dangerous if not properly used / taken care of. Place a candle to close to a drape, you burn down the house. Do we outlaw candles? How many people have been accidentally cut with a kitchen knife, we still have them in our homes. I like to weight lift, if my hand gets to sweaty the bar could crush my throat. I still lift. Ever have a rock shoot out of a lawnmower? We still cut our grass.

When will people learn / understand that anything can be dangerous. Why do people fear guns so much? The media, they sensationalize everything for ratings and face it, others mis-fortunes make for good ratings.

In a world where you can climb into your Suburban while talking on your cell phone after downing a few at the bar and drive home in a 2 ton missile (while talking and possibly loaded) -

I'll take my chances thank you.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinixd View Post
    Guns do not kill people! People kill people!
    Old bromide but still very true.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I submit to both of you that we are merely arguing the finer nuances of the definition of the word inherent.
    No, we must now be bitter internet enemies (internetemies?). I am dispatching Triumph the Comic Dog to poop on you.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

OP

Quote Originally Posted by billpocz View Post
    Most items in our lives are inherently dangerous... To the OP, I read and re-read your post and am still not sure of your point...

I saw a guy on Monday who was using a tractor with a silage unloader connected to a PTO (Power Take Off) which is a shaft that connects the hind end of the tractor and spins the shaft to power the unloader. It has more guards and safety devices than you can imagine. Well, somehow the sleeve of his coat got caught on the PTO, and whipped him around like a rag doll...

Guns are definitely dangerous, and anyone trying to harm my family or myself will quickly realize how dangerous they are!

Bill
    Well, my point, using an example of a car for my friends sake, is the same most here are making: guns are not unsafe unless used by an unsafe person. Neither are cars; but add an unsafe driver, yes, they are.

That was about it for the point.

Guns aren't dangerous if handled safely, a monkey driving a car....now that is dangerous.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links