My answer,

This is a discussion on My answer, within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My answer to the anti-gun people has always been, "If you are so sure that you are correct and guns are of no benefit to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: My answer,

My answer,

My answer to the anti-gun people has always been, "If you are so sure that you are correct and guns are of no benefit to mankind why don't you post a large sign on your front lawn stating that There are no guns of any type in this house". That way you can show your belief in your self and I would have some respect for you". The conversation generally stops there and, as of yet, not one person has ever posted the sign. I am not here to say that having a gun will solve all my problems if I am in that situation BUT, I will guarantee you that I will not go down without a fight and will never have to say "Please don't hurt my children, wife, grandchildren". I am not a GUN NUT but I am a person that takes my and my families security and well being very seriously. I may be taken out with my own gun, out gunned, overpowered, but I will know that I did not sit by as a victim and I will know that I did everything I could. Just a rant and I apologize for using up space but I get so frustrated by the anti-gunners and I just needed to vent. I am not a Right or Left wing person just a guy that feels it is necessary in these times to not take our safety for granted. OK, I am through. Thanks, I feel better now.
    Be safe, Frank.
    Doodle, RoadKill, joker1 and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Hey Frank, Let me be Frank. (couldnt help it.) The antis view is very emotional. There points and views are, if there are no guns, then no gun crimes, accidents or anything else gun related would happen. In a perfect would that would be great.

In the world we live in, it just wont work. Folks that look at this from a logical position understand this. The emotional, knee jerk anti does not.
    BugDude, helderberg and smolck like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I agree completely. Just be careful to temper your commitment to self and family protection with common sense, understanding, and some degree of caution. I believe that there is a line of aggressiveness (mentally) that can easily push one to take action where none, or at least less, was required. I'm not saying I think you have reached that point but I've personalty met some that I'm sure have. So I am getting this thought out there for those (mostly younger people) to read as well. Everything in life requires balance including self protection.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Hey Frank, Let me be Frank. (couldnt help it.) The antis view is very emotional. There points and views are, if there are no guns, then no gun crimes, accidents or anything else gun related would happen. In a perfect would that would be great.

In the world we live in, it just wont work. Folks that look at this from a logical position understand this. The emotional, knee jerk anti does not.
    When they eliminate all alcohol everywhere, and driving cars, then I will believe them that they are serious about eliminating unnecessary deaths.... otherwise, they won't convince me they are just against us protecting ourselves and guns.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Glock Certified Armorer

I like your way of thought! I can't believe that someone is so dumb to think "get rid of guns then crime stops". What do they think will happen? I will tell you. Murders will get a lot more graphic. Knifes and bats will be the weapons of choice then. You can't stop evil from happening you can only try to keep it from happening to you and your family!
    ep1953 and SGT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I agree completely. Just be careful to temper your commitment to self and family protection with common sense, understanding, and some degree of caution. I believe that there is a line of aggressiveness (mentally) that can easily push one to take action where none, or at least less, was required. I'm not saying I think you have reached that point but I've personalty met some that I'm sure have. So I am getting this thought out there for those (mostly younger people) to read as well. Everything in life requires balance including self protection.
    I will and I agree. There is a point of logic and tempered response that has to be considered. Thank you for reading my rant and all of you for giving a intelligent response.
    Be safe, Frank.
    SGT likes this.

When asked why I carry and if I think "something bad is going to happen", my favorite reply is "I don't think it's going to happen, but I know that it could!" Some folks just don't get it!!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The antis view is very emotional.
    Precisely. Our view is based on the premise that armed self-defense is a rational counter to a threat of armed attack. There can be no logical argument to this concept, so all the other side has is emotion.

Carrying a pistol does not guarantee our success, but some chance is better than no chance.

I've debated this issue with our local anti-gun columnist and his merry band of followers on his blog for years. I always tell them that I don't drink alcohol and feel it is a detrimental item in our society that serves no productive purpose and leads to more deaths each year than guns. If they want to save lives, lets start with banning alcohol. At least guns serve a productive purpose for the law abiding citizen defending themselves from criminals. The antis just think in terms of emotional reaction to events. Realistically and logically, you can't rid the world of guns. Once the genie is out of the bottle, you just have to deal with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have a co-worker that does not own a gun (he had one once and his wife freaked out screaming and he had to get rid of it), but he also appreciates the reality that thanks to people like us who do own guns, the bad guys don't know which house is armed or not and it is to some degree a deterent.
    helderberg likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I've quit trying to have a discussion with people who are against guns. The people that I have talked to always seem more interested in giving you their opinion than they are in listening to yours. I do understand that some people are uncomfortable around guns so I try to keep mine out of their sight. Frankly, watching how some people handle guns makes me uncomfortable also.

But, back to the point, I don't think you'll change the minds of many in the anti-gun crowd. Being the victim of a violent crime that they could have prevented, if they had been armed and properly trained, is more likely to change their minds than anything we can say. That's a hard way to get your point across that I wouldn't wish on anybody, but it's the quickest way to turn somebody into a believer.
    Sfire likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    On Saturday I went into a local gun store. I unexpectedly received very poor service and left without making a purchase. When I returned to the market where my wife was set up as a vendor, I told her about the experience. I didn't mention that it was a gun store, but my wife new. The neighbor, who was set up about 6 feet away joined in the conversation saying how much she hates poor customers service. She then asked, "what store was it?". My wife told her that it was a gun store. The neighbor lady's eyes went wide and she said, "Guns scare me to death". At this point I am thinking, but did NOT say, "oh really lady, well I hate to tell you this then but I've got a loaded one in my coat pocket". My wife said that she is wanting to get one for home and mentioned that we have been seeing an increase in the number of home invasions and burglaries. To this the neighbor lady responded, "I understand and I really can't blame you and you need to do whatever you can to protect yourself." So she may be "scared to death of them" but understands why others have them.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Helderberg: Several comments about the thread. 1) I agree with what you are saying and I can understand your frustrations and determination 2) I guess this technique is meant to not have any neighbors, at least those, who somewhere along the line actually got to talk about their anti-gun stance, which, IMO, would only have come up due to your initial comments or actions. There is no need for anyone to know such things 3) Depending on the situation, if it really comes down to a direct and unavoidable confrontation that could affect you and your family, I agree with you. If the potential confrontation is somehow avoidable and will only occur because you are willing to confront a perp who you see, say at your parked car a half a block away, or hear in a room of your house that is unoccupied and it is only your wife and yourself in the house, my take of your thread is such that over the stuff in your car and house, you will confront the perp and risk dying over replaceable insured stuff. IF THIS IS THE CASE (and it may not be so pardon my incorrect interpretation), and many threads agree with this scenario, I can only say "to each his own"---- my life is not replaceable but my stuff is. Being right is good, being dead right is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Helderberg: Several comments about the thread. 1) I agree with what you are saying and I can understand your frustrations and determination 2) I guess this technique is meant to not have any neighbors, at least those, who somewhere along the line actually got to talk about their anti-gun stance, which, IMO, would only have come up due to your initial comments or actions. There is no need for anyone to know such things 3) Depending on the situation, if it really comes down to a direct and unavoidable confrontation that could affect you and your family, I agree with you. If the potential confrontation is somehow avoidable and will only occur because you are willing to confront a perp who you see, say at your parked car a half a block away, or hear in a room of your house that is unoccupied and it is only your wife and yourself in the house, my take of your thread is such that over the stuff in your car and house, you will confront the perp and risk dying over replaceable insured stuff. IF THIS IS THE CASE (and it may not be so pardon my incorrect interpretation), and many threads agree with this scenario, I can only say "to each his own"---- my life is not replaceable but my stuff is. Being right is good, being dead right is wrong.
    I could not agree more with you. I have told my wife and children, when they were still living at home, that I will not go looking for a person that has broken into our home if he stays away from us. By this I mean, in our home, if we are upstairs and they are down, tell them I am armed and do not come upstairs. I have called the police so leave now or not but do not come up the stairs. This is but one circumstance but the logic applies to all. I am not going to go looking for something bad but I will protect myself from it. Thanks for the insightful replies people.
    Frank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links