what happened to my bullet? - Page 2

what happened to my bullet?

This is a discussion on what happened to my bullet? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the info, I'm definetly not shooting that one. I did email Federal and do still have the original box with the lot number. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: what happened to my bullet?

Thanks for the info, I'm definetly not shooting that one. I did email Federal and do still have the original box with the lot number. i dont carry the cheap stuff for self defense, only for use at the range.I did email Federal but I dont expect to hear back from them for a week or so. as soon as I hear from them I'lll post it here. Thanks again for the info.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

VIP Member
    Definitely a strange looking round. Definitely not something you'd want to shoot.

Years ago, when CCI first brought out the Blaser Aluminum case I had one blow out the side. CCI paid to have the gun sent back to Ruger to be inspected and sent me 10 boxes of ammo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Its not photoshopped, I just happend to be cleaning my 9mm and after oiling the clip I went to reload it and just happened to pick it up. I had heard of some rounds being reshaped after they were rechambered a few times but didnt know if this was the cause. I havent checked the entire box yet but I definetly will before I shoot any.I just use this ammo for ther range so its not a big deal. I carry something else for self defense.
    First off, it's a magazine, not a "clip." Secondly, oiling magazines causes them to collect dirt and fuzzies even faster. If you feel you must "lube" a magazine, at least use a dry lube or graphite powder. As for the round, it looks like it got stuck in the forming process a couple of times.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    First off, it's a magazine, not a "clip." Secondly, oiling magazines causes them to collect dirt and fuzzies even faster. If you feel you must "lube" a magazine, at least use a dry lube or graphite powder.
    You're stealing my posts. <ggg>
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Looks like the rim was formed twice. Sometimes they stop production to make an adjustment, and rounds caught in the forming or loading process can get Frankensteined.
    Maybe you should play the lottery tonight.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    1. Don't fire it.

2. Inform the manufacturer w/lot #.

3. A clip is used to load a magazine.

Send am email with a pic to the manufacturer, not only will you get a free box of ammo or two, but you may help find a problem in their QA process, maybe even call attention to a problem that warrants a recall.

And, because I can't resist.....

Trojan Ammo. Ribbed, for your pleasure.

sorry
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I contacted the manufacturer and they requested the lot number,pics and some additional information. hopefully there arent any more of these around. It just gets me how it made it all the way through QC checks and inspections and ended up in my hands. I would expect this from some foreign made ammo but not from anything made in the U.S.

Administrator
    Well, if you really want to get technical the thread should be titled: What Happened To My Cartridge Case? ~ Because the actual bullet looks fine but, let's not pick too many nits.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    First off, it's a magazine, not a "clip." Secondly, oiling magazines causes them to collect dirt and fuzzies even faster. If you feel you must "lube" a magazine, at least use a dry lube or graphite powder. As for the round, it looks like it got stuck in the forming process a couple of times.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Looks like your ammo went to Jenny Craig,
    I have never seen a case like that in my life and I shoot thousands of rounds every year,definitely a manufacturing defect.
    Your "MAGAZINES" don't need to be oiled,oil can attract and hold crap like sand/grit and cause a malfunction.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    Might be worth a lot of money as collectors items or from possible liability settlements from Wally-World or the manufacturer.

(3) Show it to Walmart, but DON'T give it back to them. Instead, make a big deal out of how something like this could have easily (in reality) blown your gun up and severly injured you. When faced with a major potential product liability lawsuit, they may very well offer a lot more as a "settlement" than just another box of cheap ammo.

How in the heck did you miss THAT when loading your magazine? You didn't FEEL it? Pay attention next time.
    Guest1 likes this.

Lets stick to the subject at hand shall we? I ask how this case was formed,not whether it is called a magazine or a clip, not how I missed it, or anything else. ONLY how this was formed.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Lets stick to the subject at hand shall we? I ask how this case was formed,not whether it is called a magazine or a clip, not how I missed it, or anything else. ONLY how this was formed.
    It LOOKS like and error of some kind in the lathe that cuts the extraction groove, but no one here REALLY knows. How's that for an answer? :)

As for the terminology education, there's no charge for teaching you correct terminology. :)
    Guest1 likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links