what happened to my bullet?

This is a discussion on what happened to my bullet? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; like the title says, I was cleaning one of my carry guns and noticed one of the 9mm rounds didnt look right. The round on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: what happened to my bullet?

what happened to my bullet?

like the title says, I was cleaning one of my carry guns and noticed one of the 9mm rounds didnt look right. The round on the left looked like it was squished .I dont shoot this particular gun much but I do carry it often. I thought maybe it was due to being rechambered but didnt know. Is it safe to shoot? this was just cheap practice ammo from walmart so no big deal,just curious.
    Attached Images
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Had to of come that way and you were in a hurry when you loaded the gun and missed it.

Too weird looking to shoot it.

Call and offer to send it back to the manufacturer. Maybe send an e-mail with the pic.

If this isn't a trick "photoshopped" picture, is it just one round or does the whole box look like that?

First, I wouldn't shoot them in anything since it appears to be a defective round(s) from the case forming machine putting three different "base indentions" on the same case.

Might be worth a lot of money as collectors items or from possible liability settlements from Wally-World or the manufacturer.

Three rules:
    (1) Don't try to load and fire it.
    (2) Keep your sales receipt as proof of purchase.
    (3) Show it to Walmart, but DON'T give it back to them. Instead, make a big deal out of how something like this could have easily (in reality) blown your gun up and severly injured you. When faced with a major potential product liability lawsuit, they may very well offer a lot more as a "settlement" than just another box of cheap ammo.
    Tzadik likes this.

I do carry it often
    cheap practice ammo
    To be honest, I would not "carry" a defensive gun or concealed weapon with "cheap practice ammo". Your decision startles me.

possible liability settlements
    Right. A new box of ammo. Big deal. There were no damages other than the cost of the ammo, hence no liability settlement. Good luck with that.
    Hopyard, jmlampert23 and bbqgrill like this.

Its not photoshopped, I just happend to be cleaning my 9mm and after oiling the clip I went to reload it and just happened to pick it up. I had heard of some rounds being reshaped after they were rechambered a few times but didnt know if this was the cause. I havent checked the entire box yet but I definetly will before I shoot any.I just use this ammo for ther range so its not a big deal. I carry something else for self defense.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

OK, first off, don't shoot that round. Save it as a reminder to visually check every round you load.

Next: your gun didn't create that oddball, the factory did. Ammo priced at "practice" price point is subject to that kind of defect, hopefully at less than a 1% rate; the high-priced defensive ammo (which we all hope is what you carry) should never, ever reach your hands with that kind of defect.

What MAY happen over time is that if a single round is chambered numerous times, the bullet may deform slightly (no biggie) and the bullet may also get pushed back in the case. This has the potential of being a problem, depending on the caliber and the extent of "push back" - which raises case pressures. The simple way around this is to rotate your carry/duty ammo so one singel round isn't the same one being chambered every single time you load the gun. Put that round at the bottom of a mag after a chambering or two.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    That's a new one on me and I've sure seen a lot of ammo. Obviously a very defective cartridge case.
    I would only shoot that if you want to see if your barrel chamber will blow out and turn into airborne flying shrapnel or not.
    If that cartridge case does not rupture in the barrel chamber it SURE WILL rupture on extraction.
    msgt/ret and Majorlk like this.

I haven't found any rounds like that, but I did find one 9mm round from a box of Blazer Brass that wasn't seated properly. The bullet base had crushed the case mouth half way down. I didn't shoot it.

I'd keep it and sell it on eBay as the "new" .380 magnum round.
    BkCo1, poppy37 and KDV like this.

Eaglebeak - are you a lawyer? That's whats wrong with America. Drive up prices because people threaten lawsuits. Contact the manufacturer. Nobody got hurt.
    ksholder likes this.

VIP Member
    One other thing when you contact the manufacturer be sure to include the lot number from the box.
    oneshot and Tzadik like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    WOW, thats a new one on me too. I cant beleive that it passed any kind of QC checks.

I'd email the manufacturer and send them a pic. At the very least, they'll send you another box for your trouble.

Dont shoot it.
    Tzadik and oneshot like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Its not photoshopped, I just happend to be cleaning my 9mm and after oiling the clip I went to reload it and just happened to pick it up. I had heard of some rounds being reshaped after they were rechambered a few times but didnt know if this was the cause. I havent checked the entire box yet but I definetly will before I shoot any.I just use this ammo for ther range so its not a big deal. I carry something else for self defense.
    A couple of things ...

It's a magazine, not a clip; they are not interchangeable terms.

Oil has no place in a magazine for a couple of reasons. In the first place , oil will attract dirt, lint, unburned powder and other debris. Second, oil can migrate or be transferred to the cartridge cases. This is bad because oil on the case can cause the case not to properly grip the chamber walls, causing the case to set back against the bolt face harder than is normal. BTW Oil does NOT damage the round, render it inert or any other such nonsense. This urban myth has been debunked time and time again over the years.

If you feel compelled to lubricate a magazine, use a dry lubricant such as dry graphite. The outside of a magazine can be wiped down with a silicone rag.
    Hoganbeg, poppy37 and Fisher10 like this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I have a marlin camp carbine with a stronger spring and it will sometimes wrinkle the case slightly. When looking at the thumbnail I thought that might be the case. When I looked at the big photo I see that is not the case. I doubt that it was from the forming operation it appears to be a lathe type operation that makes the rim on the case. I don't know if that is how that feature is formed but suspect it is so.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    like the title says, I was cleaning one of my carry guns and noticed one of the 9mm rounds didnt look right. The round on the left looked like it was squished .I dont shoot this particular gun much but I do carry it often. I thought maybe it was due to being rechambered but didnt know. Is it safe to shoot? this was just cheap practice ammo from walmart so no big deal,just curious.
    If it looks odd don't shoot it. Never saw those ring-cuts in a round chambered too often. Mystery to me. What's the gun? Like was said, it likely was a defective round in the box. Keep an eye out for anything similar in the near future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links