will i be denied ccw permit for juvenile record in ohio?

This is a discussion on will i be denied ccw permit for juvenile record in ohio? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i submitted my application for a ccw permit in ohio today. my concerns are if they will deny my application for my past juvenile record ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By tomtsr
  • 1 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By Maverickx50
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 2 Post By Mike1956

Thread: will i be denied ccw permit for juvenile record in ohio?

will i be denied ccw permit for juvenile record in ohio?

i submitted my application for a ccw permit in ohio today. my concerns are if they will
    deny my application for my past juvenile record of petty theft, and carry concealed weapon
    (bb gun) charges from when i was a teenager...i am now 31, i have never been convicted of any
    felonies. and the juvenile record of misdemeanors is all i have. WILL I BE DENIED?

2. Remove Ads

Seems like a pat answer so much of the time but, It really depends on the state and sheriff where you reside. What happened in our past can definitely affect our future so be ready to appeal and have all the papers from all older cases with closure indicated.

You might want to look into having your records expunged.
    oneshot and Eagleks like this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Administrator
    I doubt it.
    akazn420 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    most Juvenal records are sealed once you reach 18/21. excluding felonies and sexual crimes I believe.
    akazn420 likes this.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I doubt it, if it does happen, there is an appeals process. You may want to go talk to your sheriff about it, as he is the issuing authority.

The caveat to that, is where you live/applied does play a bit of a role in that.
    akazn420 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Something that has not been brought up that could come into play. If on the application they ask you to list all prior arrest/convictions and you did not put these juvenile arrest down, you filed false forms and that could very well come back to bite you. Since I am not a resident of Ohio and have never filed for a permit there, I don't know what questions are on their permit paperwork.
    CountryGal and akazn420 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Something that has not been brought up that could come into play. If on the application they ask you to list all prior arrest/convictions and you did not put these juvenile arrest down, you filed false forms and that could very well come back to bite you. Since I am not a resident of Ohio and have never filed for a permit there, I don't know what questions are on their permit paperwork.
    Here is the Ohio permit application if you would like to take a look: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...ense-App-.aspx
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

no.....

no, as in NO i wont get my permit, or no, as in i wont be denied?

VIP Member
    From page 51 of The Ohio Guide to Firearms Laws, Fourth Edition, October 2011, by Ken Hanson, Attorney at Law

Ohio CH License eligibility:
    Be in the US legally and a resident of Ohio for at least forty five days and the county utilized as his/her residence for thirty days and
    Be at least twenty-one years of age on the date of the application and
    Not be under indictment or charged with a felony drug offense, a misdemeanor offense of violence, negligence assault or a violation of ORC Section 2923.1211 (this section deals with altering a CHL or possessing one which has been revoked and
    Not (ever) have a conviction for a felony, a felony drug offense or assault when the victim was a law enforcement officer, and
    In the last three years, and have no convictions for misdemeanor offenses of violence, and
    In the last five years, have no more than one conviction for assault or negligent assault, and
    In the last ten years, have no convictions for resisting arrest, and
    Not be adjudicated mental defective, and
    Not be the subject of any protection orders issued by this or another state.
    akazn420 and Jess_Lynn_SigSa like this.

Links