Finger Prints & Getting a Non-resident CWP

This is a discussion on Finger Prints & Getting a Non-resident CWP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I vacation in GA & AL each year & I want to be able to conceal carry. But my Virginia permit isn't any good there. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Finger Prints & Getting a Non-resident CWP

Question Finger Prints & Getting a Non-resident CWP

I vacation in GA & AL each year & I want to be able to conceal carry. But my Virginia permit isn't any good there. I've looked at some of the reciprocal states for both of those, but haven't decided which one I want a non-resident permit from. Right now I'm tossing around FL & NH. So far I've found a lot of those states require a specific state CWP course or they don't issue permits to non-residents. From what I can find online, Georgia & Alabama are that way. Any ideas which states would be good to get a permit from? I'd like to avoid fingerprinting, if I can.

That brings up another issue. I live in a county in Virginia that doesn't require fingerprints for a CHP, so I've never had them done. I did have a single fingerprint done as DisneyWorld last month - is that filed with the FBI?

I know fingerprinting is a controversial issue with some people. I'm not even sure where I stand on that, but I'd be interested in hearing your 2 cents worth. One of the big arguments that I've heard is "If the feds turn against us, they'll use fingerprints to take our guns away." My question has always been - "I've got a registered gun, so they could find me that way, too. So not having fingerprints doesn't stop the feds from finding me & taking my gun." Correct?

As I'm considering getting a permit from another state, I realized I need to decide if I want to be fingerprinted. If I do a Florida CWP, I have to get fingerprints. I understand New Hampshire doesn't require fingerprints - does anybody know if that's so?

Just to summarize, my 3 main questions are 1) I need a permit that works in GA & AL - any recommendations? and 2) Is there anyway of knowing if the fingerprint at DisneyWorld get filed with the FBI? and 3) Should I be concerned about getting fingerprints done? Why or why not?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    New Hampshire issues a non-resident license, without finger-printing, which is recognized by Georgia and Alabama. Download the application, fill it out, and mail a check to the address indicated in the application. Mine took less than two weeks to arrive.
    CountryGal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    New Hampshire issues a non-resident license, without finger-printing, which is recognized by Georgia and Alabama. Download the application, fill it out, and mail a check to the address indicated in the application. Mine took less than two weeks to arrive.
    Awesome! That sounds perfect!

Your print at Disney (thumb, usually) is not on file anywhere. It's a security against someone else using your ticket. Probably even deleted at Disney when your ticket expired. For any of us males who were in the service our fingerprints are already in a system so I didn't worry about it. Don't know whay you should, either.
    CountryGal likes this.

Utah Non resident covers Ga. & AL.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Flippinstk View Post
    Utah Non resident covers Ga. & AL.
    Utah requires fingerprints.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Jeeper View Post
    Utah requires fingerprints.
    And a Utah-approved training course.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Sounds like the nonrez NH is the best and cheapest solution to your requirement of only 2 target states.

For extending coverage to the most states, the UT nonrez is the best; FL is second best. Both require fingerprints.
    CountryGal likes this.

wow... granted there are no fingerprint or course requirements for a NH Non resident... but to pay $100 for 4 years for only a 2 target state perrmit? owch
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

VIP Member
    wow... granted there are no fingerprint or course requirements for a NH Non resident... but to pay $100 for 4 years for only a 2 target state perrmit? owch
    How much does a Utah or Florida non-resident cost?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Sounds like the nonrez NH is the best and cheapest solution to your requirement of only 2 target states.

For extending coverage to the most states, the UT nonrez is the best; FL is second best. Both require fingerprints.
    My Ohio resident combined with my PA and NH non-resident permits give me Nevada, New Mexico, Kansas, and Michigan, states not afforded by a Utah non-resident permit. Florida non-resident doesn't give me Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Carolina or Nevada.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    How much does a Utah or Florida non-resident cost?
    A UT nonrez cost me 80.90 in 2011. The FL permit (there is no nonrez, FL issues the same permit to anyone) was 160.99 in 2007. I found that the UT nonrez adds all states to my CO permit that the FL permit adds, plus Minnesota, for half the cost.

These numbers include all my related expenses like license fees, passport photos, notary service, mailing, UT-approved training, etc.

My Ohio resident combined with my PA and NH non-resident permits give me Nevada, New Mexico, Kansas, and Michigan, states not afforded by a Utah non-resident permit. Florida non-resident doesn't give me Minnesota, Wisconsin, South Carolina or Nevada.
    I was thinking of which single non-resident permit would add the most states; obviously getting multiple non-resident permits could beat getting just one.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit much. But at least it's pretty easy to get & doesn't require fingerprints. Between my VA permit & a NH permit, I'll be covered in 36 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan,, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.

It's not bad if you think about it that way. Or $100 for a 4 year NH permit is $25/yr. That's about $2/month.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I was thinking of what single non-resident permit would add the most states; obviously getting multiple non-resident permits will beat getting just one.
    I have two non-resident permits which cost me an additional $125, required no further fingerprinting or training, and were transacted entirely by mail. I have heard that PA no longer issues non-resident permits by mail, so that may be a downer at renewal time.

A FL permit is $117, renewal is $107. Not sure how much Utah is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links