WI no longer requires 4 hours of training

This is a discussion on WI no longer requires 4 hours of training within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As of midday today WI no longer requires 4 hours of training to get your permit to carry. Apparently you just need training but what ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: WI no longer requires 4 hours of training

WI no longer requires 4 hours of training

As of midday today WI no longer requires 4 hours of training to get your permit to carry. Apparently you just need training but what it is and how long is now removed as a requirement. I wish they would just make up their minds, set a rule and stick to it. All this changing and rewriting is making this process a nightmare. Well at least now they should be able to speed up the process since they no longer care who did the training or how long it took. Here is the link to the article.Committee suspends training requirement for concealed weapons - JSOnline

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    I wish they would just make up their minds, set a rule and stick to it. All this changing and rewriting is making this process a nightmare.
    The rules in place are "emergency rules" and were bound for a review/change process. That they revisited poor emergency rules sooner rather than later is a good thing in my opinion.

Lets hope this doesnt effect Reciprocity....

The problem is they are still "emergency rules" so they are not set and likely will not be for at least 6-7 months. And I do think it will effect reciprocity as other States will have no idea what WI standards will be. From my understanding most States want to know what another State will require to issue a permit before they decide if they will allow those holder to carry in their State.

The DOJ spokesperson Dana Brueck stated that as of this afternoon 1,669 licenses to carry concealed weapon have been approved and 339 have been rejected. The loss of the 4 hr minimum training seems to have speeded things up a bit.

However I am surprised at the number of rejections as it is almost 17% of all submitted applications. I would imagine that all applications already submitted have met the 4 hour or more training requirement.

I definitely think this will affect reciprocity with other states until the training requirement issue is resolved.

I remember seeing on a news story, sorry no link, that most of the rejects were because of missed signatures (you needed to sign on 3 sheets) and training certificates that did not match the required format. When I redid all of the certificates I had handed out I used the DOJ template and filled each blank then cut and paste names, dates and locations as needed. Then signed my name a couple hundred times. I also think as they get used to seeing certain trainers or training companies they will accept them and will not need to re-varify the same trainers over and over which will speed things up.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    it will. Minnesota for one will never accept a state with a no training license.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I know of at least a few people that submitted an online Maryland firearms training, which met the requirements before the DOJ added the 4 hour requirement and "face-to-face" requirement. They are fully expecting to get rejected to build a lawsuit against the DOJ for imposing restrictions not in the legislation. (I'm not one of them, I want my permit ASAP)
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I suspect that Colorado will be taking another hard look at Wisconsin with respect to reciprocity. (I don't have any hard evidence to back that up.)

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    I suspect that Colorado will be taking another hard look at Wisconsin with respect to reciprocity. (I don't have any hard evidence to back that up.)
    I certainly hope so, its one of the few places I travel to outside of Wisconsin.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    it will. Minnesota for one will never accept a state with a no training license.
    They didn't eliminate the training requirement....just the specifics of "minimum 4 hours"...

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    They didn't eliminate the training requirement....just the specifics of "minimum 4 hours"...
    I'm pretty sure Minnesota requires training equal to or better than their requirements. If I'm right, pretty sure I am, This would rule out Wisconsin.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Minnesota requires training equal to or better than their requirements. If I'm right, pretty sure I am, This would rule out Wisconsin.
    FWIW....UT training is only a minimum of 4 hours....and MN honors UT.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    The problem is they are still "emergency rules" so they are not set and likely will not be for at least 6-7 months. And I do think it will effect reciprocity as other States will have no idea what WI standards will be. From my understanding most States want to know what another State will require to issue a permit before they decide if they will allow those holder to carry in their State.
    Yeah I'm not too worried about that. Reason is... I don't want my state to bend to bad requirements just for the sake of reciprocity. I'd rather the other states fix their crappy standards.
    canav844 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahrboy View Post
    However I am surprised at the number of rejections as it is almost 17% of all submitted applications.
    It could be that they require you to submit an affidavit with your outstate ccw permit that states the permit has not been revoked...and failed to include that little requirement in the application instructions.

Ask me how I know that.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links