Where is your balance on carry vs. life? - Page 2

Where is your balance on carry vs. life?

This is a discussion on Where is your balance on carry vs. life? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in a similar boat as thephanatik, being constrained by working for a University which is prohibited. As this encompasses most of my day, ...

View Poll Results: Where does your Balance fall?

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • My gun canít go, I donít go, Period.

23 8.49%
  • I mostly donít go where my gun canít go

122 45.02%
  • I go where ever and carry when I can

110 40.59%
  • I carry only on occasions

16 5.90%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Where is your balance on carry vs. life?

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I am in a similar boat as thephanatik, being constrained by working for a University which is prohibited. As this encompasses most of my day, I voted "I go where ever and carry when I can". My state still has a lot of silly restrictions on where you can't carry and it is obvious that they haven't gotten past the thinking that someone with a license to is just a criminal who hasn't committed their crime, yet.

I carry when or where ever I can. i absolutely respect someone's home and their decisions on whether or not they want me armed. i can live with their decision and still remain friends. I have a problem when businesses or other venues, who open their doors to the public for the purposes of wanting money, making a decision based on claiming the same rights as personal property owners as far as my safety goes. I know, I know, technically and legally they have the right to keep my weapon out but I also have the right not to spend my money there. If you are going to open your property and doors to the public and are not willing to accept the responsibility for the security of your patrons, then I dont think you should be able to claim "property owner" rights the same way as a home owner or other nonpublic venue. Now these are just my thoughts and I am sure some will disagree with my thoughts but they are what they are.
    Anubis and CountryGal like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I carry when or where ever I can. i absolutely respect someone's home and their decisions on whether or not they want me armed. i can live with their decision and still remain friends. I have a problem when businesses or other venues, who open their doors to the public for the purposes of wanting money, making a decision based on claiming the same rights as personal property owners as far as my safety goes. I know, I know, technically and legally they have the right to keep my weapon out but I also have the right not to spend my money there. If you are going to open your property and doors to the public and are not willing to accept the responsibility for the security of your patrons, then I dont think you should be able to claim "property owner" rights the same way as a home owner or other nonpublic venue. Now these are just my thoughts and I am sure some will disagree with my thoughts but they are what they are.
    I would totally agree with you! Though I've never heard of a state that made a distinction between private home-owner property & private property that is open to the public. I think the latter shouldn't be allowed to ban guns, but those aren't the laws now, so that's why there are multiple choices for buying gas, grocery shopping, etc. :P

Carry is my life
    ZTF Hitman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Carry is my life
    Carry is just one of a number of things in my life.
    Majorlk, Harryball and MadMac like this.

I carry where it is legal and avoid places where it is not legal. what I do at state buildings, court houses and schools or any where it is against state law I park off property and leave it in the car. I do travel for work and cant carry during travel however I agree with old school improvised weapons are every where, as a Gunny once told me " a can of shaving cream is personal hygine, but if I beat your ass with it. It becomes a weapon"
    Justified and tcox4freedom like this.

I carry everywhere I can, but unfortunetly being in the contracting biz I am forced to spend time in government building often. If it is a private building with a sign I explain my view and recommend they take down the sign. It has actually worked.
    9MMare likes this.
    ē We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I go where I want to go, where I need to go, and neither gun or no gun is going to stop me from doing the things I wish to do. I use prudence in my travels and will not deny myself the enjoyment of life over a gun issue.
    wmhawth and 9MMare like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

RKM
    I try to avoid places I can't carry. Only place I really go where I can't carry is the post office (which I rarely go to) and this summer I went to Maryland for the Baltimore Grand Prix. I couldn't carry in Baltimore, the one place I probably needed it the most. But as you can see, I'm still alive.

When F1 comes to New Jersey in 2013, despite me hating NJ and the fact that I won't be able to carry... F1 is F1, and I'm not going to miss that :) F1 is worth my life!.............. j/k :)

If it's something I really want or need to do, I can do without my gun. But I really do like to have one with me as much as I possibly can.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I carry as often as I can, but haven't found a place I like to go yet that has a prohibition on carrying...other than work (courthouse - no firearms) or my nephew or niece's schools (prohibited by law.)

Of course, because I carry concealed & Minnesota's law is such that I could only be cited for a petty misdemeanor (maximum $25 fine, with no repercussions for my permit) IF I refuse a request to leave, I carry pretty much anywhere.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

tts
    I follow a simple rule: when my pants go on, my gun goes on. At places where it is illegal to carry (e.g. post office, court house), I leave it in my car. At places where there's a sticker in the window but it's private property (e.g. book store, coffee shop, etc.), I CC and will leave if asked.

As always, we have the option of favoring places that share our views. Vote with your dollar.
    PPKman likes this.

VIP Member
    There are some places I refuse to go, because I can't carry. DC, NYC, Chicago to name a few. Then again I'm not sure I'd go to those places again, even if I could carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    There are some places I refuse to go, because I can't carry. DC, NYC, Chicago to name a few. Then again I'm not sure I'd go to those places again, even if I could carry.
    +1 This ^^

Quote Originally Posted by trip20 View Post

Example: my wife, kids and I will never attend a Wisconsin State Fair.
    I don't see that happening again.

My daughter is still in high school so now and then I have to go into that building (usually not while school is in session, in the evening). My credit union is posted, but thankfully I can do most of my business in the drive-up. Work sometimes takes me to schools so I have to secure it for the 3 minutes that I'm in there. Mostly I carry everywhere, most signs aren't proper and depending on the place I'll carry or not carry (schools, airport, post office, posted bank-all no-nos).
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links