Where is your balance on carry vs. life?

This is a discussion on Where is your balance on carry vs. life? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do try to go places where I could carry my gun. There are times when I can't, like when I cross the bridge into ...

View Poll Results: Where does your Balance fall?

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • My gun canít go, I donít go, Period.

23 8.49%
  • I mostly donít go where my gun canít go

122 45.02%
  • I go where ever and carry when I can

110 40.59%
  • I carry only on occasions

16 5.90%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Where is your balance on carry vs. life?

I do try to go places where I could carry my gun. There are times when I can't, like when I cross the bridge into New Jersey. I do try to do most of my shopping here in PA, but my family and I do enjoy the shore sometimes. I won't patron places that are anti-gun or with a big liberal customer base. That's just me fighting for our 2nd Amendment rights ! Places like the Parking Authority building or Hospitals can't be helped though.

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

2. Remove Ads

Gun goes on concealed every day as I dress for the day. I've been scouting my area for signs and so far have not had to eliminate places that I normally go. When I can't carry legally, I am one unhappy camper. Voted today and felt totally vunerable going out alone without my gun. Then, came home, got armed, went out to town with hubby and felt free again. (we got approached by an "occupier" for money - didn't think we looked like 1%). Then, came home again and stacked wood and cleared branches - armed - we have bear here. As I build a list of places that prohibit guns on their private property, I will eliminate them and find an alternative.
    Carpe Diem

Here in WA, there aren't many places that I can't carry, and most of those places I don't go anyway (courtrooms, mental hospitals, college campuses, bars). I have to disarm if I go into the school buildings, but I don't have to do that much either. Signs don't carry any legal weight here, and so concealed is concealed.

However, if it was a lot more restrictive, I might pointedly avoid certain places.
    9MMare and tts like this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I voted for "I mostly donít go where my gun canít go". And the "where my gun can't go" is at school and my 2nd job. All other places I just don't go. And my 1st job allows be to carry.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

My carry balance is about the 3:00 position.

The only time I don't carry is while I am in the building at work. Otherwise, I'm carrying and will avoid places and situations where I can't (which is rare). In my area, very few places are posted and the signs do not carry force of law. I otherwise have super rare occasions to go to places that are prohibited by law.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Self defense is an educated attitude. I try not to get caught up into being either a one shot stopper or a one stop shopper.

I'm with SIXTO.

I carry so that I have life, if it is legal for me to carry, I'm carrying period. I make efforts to avoid places that I cannot legally carry, for example I have not set foot in a post office since receiving my LTCH, the college I attend has a day care and is therefore treated like a K-12 school legally; which means having a gun locked in the car is a felony, and if a knife leaves the car it's a misdemeanor as is OC spray, tasers are not yet specifically prohibited, but it's murky water at best and I'm not interested in being a test case. So I moved my classes to as few days as possible and spend as little time there as possible and make use of online resources and local public libraries I can carry at, and I go home and arm up before going to get gas groceries or a meal after class; it has been a hard adjustment to make being unarmed for such a period of time, and it's probably the best argument one could make to encourage me to use their online courses. 4 homocides within 10 miles this year, many many more armed robberies and car jackings, burglaries through the roof at over 60% higher than same timeframe of Sept and Oct last year, I do everything I can to make myself a hard target and that includes carrying every moment I'm allowed to do so, as just one layer of defense.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    they haven't gotten past the thinking that someone with a license to is just a criminal who hasn't committed their crime, yet.
    I'm sorry to hear this for you. But the way you wrote it is perfect for the sentiments I often hear in the media or from other people.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    4 homocides within 10 miles this year, many many more armed robberies and car jackings, burglaries through the roof at over 60% higher than same timeframe of Sept and Oct last year
    Wow! That's a little disconcerting.

Since I don't spend a great deal of time in Federal Buildings, K-12 Education, or State Court houses/lawmaker buildings, I don't really have to think about it much.

I will however avoid trips to states that are the "NO" list [right denied/may issue] on principle.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I cannot carry into the sheriffs office when dropping off my app for carry permit every 5 yrs as it connected to the courthouse, I cannot carry in a post office so I avoid going there, I used to disarm when driving into Wi for shooting events but no longer have to do so when crossing the border. Other then the now 2 no go areas if I dont go armed I dont go.

If I walk out the door, I'm armed. Period!
    If I arrive somewhere where it's illegal to carry, I lock it in the lockbox in the car and retrieve it when I come out.
    "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
    John Wayne

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    My uncle missed his daughters wedding because he could not carry. He also missed his mothers passing at the hospital because it was also a no carry zone.

I agree with him, no gun and I'm not going unless I need something there. I disarm to do so.

I generally don't need to go to the places I can't carry so u nless its a trip into the bank I carry. Besides why spend money in a nocarry mall when so many local gunstores will let me carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    My uncle missed his daughters wedding because he could not carry. He also missed his mothers passing at the hospital because it was also a no carry zone.
    Not much of a loving father or son; sounds very selfish and self-centered, IMHO.
    9MMare likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links