A Shooting - And a Tragic Example of What a .22 Can Do.

This is a discussion on A Shooting - And a Tragic Example of What a .22 Can Do. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A young man I can't say I know well, but worked for a short period at a local restaurant I frequent on the route of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: A Shooting - And a Tragic Example of What a .22 Can Do.

A young man I can't say I know well, but worked for a short period at a local restaurant I frequent on the route of my exercise walk, IS known by quite a few friends/acquaintances of mine. So I felt a connection after. This also happened after he left work and was nearby - a reasonable safe area, petty crime at most. I was in the restaurant that night. And later saw many police cars down one street a ways, but I didn't know why at the time.

The young guy walked about two blocks from the restaurant down a side-street with his girlfriend about 10:30 pm after work. Apparently someone came up behind him and said something like "Give me everything you've got". The young man, (25 years old), turned and was immediately shot. It was a .22, and entered high in his chest, somehow careened down through his lung and then further down into his lower spine.

This was a week and a half ago.

The young man is currently paralyzed from the waist down. Someone said he could still move some toes on one foot - I don't know if that is true or if so what it may mean for the future, but he is not doing well now.

The perp has not been caught.

I felt both frightened and angry after - a little .22 bullet in one second from someone who couldn't even wait to get the spoils of his robbery but decides to try and kill him, suddenly takes this person's whole life and turns it upside down - in but a heartbeat. His whole life ahead, and now............

I'm not even sure if having a gun would have gotten him out of this one.(He didn't have a gun). Before the words could have time to even register it seems, he was down. Least that was what others told me.

Who knows, that's not the way it happened.

I'd be lying if I said I just posted this about ballistics and .22s. I've been upset since I heard of this - though I don't know the victim well. Wanted to get it off my chest as well I guess........ what a needless waste for someone to cause!

Shot placement.

One wonders if the BGs are getting edgy/jumpy with all the CC's floating around in their usual hunting grounds.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

That's tragic on every level. Senseless, needless...lives taken and families and futures ruined. It sounds like he didn't have a chance no matter what. My prayers go out to him, his family, and all of the people whose lives he touches.
    Bullet1234 and CountryGal like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    A young man I can't say I know well, but worked for a short period at a local restaurant I frequent on the route of my exercise walk, IS known by quite a few friends/acquaintances of mine. So I felt a connection after. This also happened after he left work and was nearby - a reasonable safe area, petty crime at most. I was in the restaurant that night. And later saw many police cars down one street a ways, but I didn't know why at the time.

The young guy walked about two blocks from the restaurant down a side-street with his girlfriend about 10:30 pm after work. Apparently someone came up behind him and said something like "Give me everything you've got". The young man, (25 years old), turned and was immediately shot. It was a .22, and entered high in his chest, somehow careened down through his lung and then further down into his lower spine.

This was a week and a half ago.

The young man is currently paralyzed from the waist down. Someone said he could still move some toes on one foot - I don't know if that is true or if so what it may mean for the future, but he is not doing well now.

The perp has not been caught.

I felt both frightened and angry after - a little .22 bullet in one second from someone who couldn't even wait to get the spoils of his robbery but decides to try and kill him, suddenly takes this person's whole life and turns it upside down - in but a heartbeat. His whole life ahead, and now............

I'm not even sure if having a gun would have gotten him out of this one.(He didn't have a gun). Before the words could have time to even register it seems, he was down. Least that was what others told me.

Who knows, that's not the way it happened.

I'd be lying if I said I just posted this about ballistics and .22s. I've been upset since I heard of this - though I don't know the victim well. Wanted to get it off my chest as well I guess........ what a needless waste for someone to cause!
    I am truly sorry to hear this. I am glad that you posted this because its a good example of what I was talking about in another thread. Criminals cannot be counted on to do, or make logical choices. I will bet a dime to a cream doughnut that this was a spur of the moment decision, and obviously not thought out.
    And tragically, a good person suffers. These people are human excrement.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Horrible story and I hope he recovers.

Could have been less about a robbery and more about a killing, such as gang initiation activity (thug trying to prove himself)?

Goes to show there is no guarantee of safety -- armed or not. Being armed just give you the opportunity for defense with an effective means, should the opportunity present itself.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Is the girl friend OK?

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    How tragic. I was robbed at gunpoint, and thankfully the perp didn't pull the trigger. I think it was a 22, but it looked like a 105. Being a student, I didn't have a gun nor any money on me. I tried to remain calm and acquiescent, so I wouldn't aggravate the situation. Now I carry and stay in condition yellow always. My prayers to the victim and all the other lives that changed in an instant.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Sorry to hear about this. I hope his condition improves. My prayers go out to him and his family. Guess being more aware of his surroundings might have been beneficial to him. Carrying a concealed weapon as well would have been even more beneficial, as long as he watches his surrounding. To the scumbag that shot him, I hope he gets his!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Prayers to him and his family.
    CountryGal likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

This is a tragic example of a situation where even if he had been carrying I don't see the situation unfolding much differently. He was approached from behind in a moment of inattention (if your honest it happen to everyone probably daily) and the act of reaching to comply with the BG got him shot. If he had a gun I don't see how this ends in a different way.

Your friend will be in my families prayers. Maintain hope, if he can feel or move anything there is still a chance he can recover some function. The body is an amazing thing that can adapt beyond our comprehension.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    All firarms are dangerous - Period! I know we all talk about the ultimate stopper but as mentioned, shot placement is the key.

Dittto, trip20 too.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Shot placement.

One wonders if the BGs are getting edgy/jumpy with all the CC's floating around in their usual hunting grounds.
    That's an interesting thought! I wonder too.

Quote Originally Posted by trip20 View Post
    Horrible story and I hope he recovers.

Could have been less about a robbery and more about a killing, such as gang initiation activity (thug trying to prove himself)?

Goes to show there is no guarantee of safety -- armed or not. Being armed just give you the opportunity for defense with an effective means, should the opportunity present itself.
    I think you put your finger on the reason I felt fear as well as great sadness and anger. A gun CAN help, SOMETIMES. But this really should destroy and sense of invulnerability when we Carry. Exactly as you said, we have a possible way out, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Is the girl friend OK?

Fitch
    Yes, thankfully the perp fled after he shot the young man. She must be having flashbacks though, seeing THAT happen to someone she loves.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    The only thing more one can do, in this type of situation, is to be extra vigilant and extra wary of the surroundings. Anyone can be a bad guy so anyone you see or think you saw should bring on a "yellow" situational alert, especially at night. Even then, the unthinkable can happen to anyone regardless of whether they are armed or not.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links