Safety on or off - Page 3

Safety on or off

This is a discussion on Safety on or off within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How would the DA know if the safety was on or off? I train to sweep the safety off every draw no matter how I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Safety on or off

How would the DA know if the safety was on or off?

I train to sweep the safety off every draw no matter how I carry, so position doesn't matter. I doubt I'd remember which way it was positioned if, heaven forbid, I had to draw my weapon in self-defense.

As I mentioned in another thread I just got a LC9. I am carrying the weapon more and more. My practice is safety on. I am practicing drawing and getting safety off in one swift move. It is coming together and is not difficult. To me it is about repetition and practice.
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

To safety or not to safety

Vinixd you got it right.

The big thing here is consistency. Consistency with what you carry,consistency with your draw stroke and consistency with your presentation.

If you carry the same firearm every time, and train with that firearm often you wont have a problem either way. The problem is when you start training with several different firearms, weather its a S/A, D/A, Revolver, Decocking lever,safety etc. you could get into some muscle memory problems. Generally, having a single go to sidearm, that is your predominate training partner, and side kick on the street is a surefire way to maintain consistency with safety selection issues.

I will say this. The only reason I choose not to carry a non external safe, double action firearm is this: When shooters draw there "ready hot" pistol from the holster, and experience a sudden knee jerk action (Getting shot at/impacted or even blunt force trauma) You may experience a physical reaction and squeeze the trigger. If you haven't cleared your body of the muzzle you may get a self inflicted wound. On the flip side, I understand the long travel of a double action may subside that. And having a good draw-stoke ( Clearing the body on count 2, pistol horizontal off the holster can reduce the risk as well.) Maybe its just the military drilling me for over half a decade.

Either way, good thread, good points and good talk.
    "I'll see you in Valhalla, Brother." - Thanks to those who serve

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    IANAL, but if you carry a weapon with an external safety and you don't engage it, some enterprising DA just might make an issue out of that. This does not mean that the DA's case is reasonable, but if he makes it, a jury hears it. Personally, I always carry with the safety on and train to turn it off.
    And this my friend is why we keep our mouths shut until a lawyer is present. The DA has no need to know that you carry with the safety off, don't tell the police that, don't tell the prosecutor that, and by all means do not volunteer the information to the press. If you are asked, simply state that you carry your weapon in a safe manner consistent with your training and ability and leave it at that. If you are asked how you were trained, give them your training credentials and nothing about the course details. It is not a crime to withhold information that can be used against you, in fact it is your right to not incriminate yourself. If you are asked the exact question, do you employ the safety, state that you do not wish to answer the question. That simple, they don't need to know, don't tell them and don't let them find out.
    CountryGal likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    And this my friend is why we keep our mouths shut until a lawyer is present. The DA has no need to know that you carry with the safety off, don't tell the police that, don't tell the prosecutor that, and by all means do not volunteer the information to the press. If you are asked, simply state that you carry your weapon in a safe manner consistent with your training and ability and leave it at that. If you are asked how you were trained, give them your training credentials and nothing about the course details. It is not a crime to withhold information that can be used against you, in fact it is your right to not incriminate yourself. If you are asked the exact question, do you employ the safety, state that you do not wish to answer the question. That simple, they don't need to know, don't tell them and don't let them find out.
    Chris - I agree with you. The facts are, however, that in some instances, there may be other evidence, video for example, that could render the need for your testimony moot to make the charge. Personally, I train to use the safety if the weapon has one. In fact, I train to sweep the safety off on my Glocks (they don't have one) so that if I am carrying one of my other guns that have safety levers, I don't forget. But in the end, I agree, if you have to use the weapon, shut up and lawyer up.
    CountryGal likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I mostly carry a 1911 with one in the pipe and safety on. I don't remember ever clicking the safety off while presenting the weapon. I have never tried to pull the trigger with the safety on. It happens without any thought, total muscle memory. With a DA/SA like my P229, it doesn't even have a safety. The DA pull is typically long and hard.

Really, we are now concerned that there could be video. I assume it would be either cell phone or survelience video and you really think there will be a close up shot with enough detail to determine whether or not you swept the safety. Just do what needs to be done with what ever weapon you want carried as you feel comfortable.

I carry a P89, one in the chamber, safety off, when it's on my person. When it comes off, one in the chamber, safety on.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

Just my quick 2 cents on this......All good advise given above......

I think whatever carry condition you feel is best for you and your given situation, stick to it! I don't recommend carrying one way this week and then another way next week. You want to have your defense weapon always in the same mode....You won't have a bunch of thought process time if things were to turn ugly in an instant.

If you switch carry weapons (for a multitute of reasons) which I often do.....put that mental note in your head as you put your weapon on, "alrighty, today is Beretta day....or today is ..44 magnum day". Say it to yourself and you will be conditioned and ready if you should happen to need your gun real quick. No extra thought sequences to mess with you!

By the way, I carry my Beretta PX4 (full size .40 type F) round chambered, Saftey/Decocker OFF and the hammer in half cock position.

neverenough

Ron
    When I carried a 1911, I would carry with a round in the chamber and the manual safety engaged. I had practiced my draw and flicking off the safety countless times to the point I believed that it had become an automatic action. That is, until I took a weekend traing class. During the class we had to draw and fire under the stress of being timed, and on three occasions over the weekend, to my great shock, I forgot to flick off the safety.

That did it for me. I sold the 1911 and now will only carry a gun with no manual safety, such as my M&P compact 9, or a SA/DA with a decocker safety, which I will carry decocked(D/A), safety off.

Just my experience. As was said, everyone needs to carry how they are most comfortable with.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I vote for 1/2 cocked with safety on for double action pistols. Will prevent accidental discharge if dropped. No matter what you carry tho safety ON
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

My HK's all are the same. D/A S/A with safety. I am old and don't want to try and remember what gun I am carrying today. They all work the same.
    HK 45c, HK P30s, USP. I normally carry with the safety on and decocked. Only if I am somewhere I really should not be do I carry cocked and locked.
    The one exception is if I pocket carry. But the Kahr PM9 is pretty simple to use. Pull trigger and it goes bang.

i compete every Wednesday at work with my 1911 and I holster cocked and locked and have clicked the safety off vert single time. we are timed and scored for accuracy. It's never been a problem for me. I like havin that single action pull every time. I even have a carryLoc holster and I release the firearm without thought. It just takes dry fire and practice. You will fight like you train if you do it enough. It's like the Tai Chi exercises, you do them in slow motion and in the real deal you speed up using muscle memory.

Safety off for me. I don't have a 1911 (yet) so cocked and locked isn't an issue for me. Consistency is, though. My M&P9c doesn't have one. The LC9 does, but I don't carry it much. I do keep it safety off, though so I won't forget, since I don't train to flick it off.

I do have one other gun with a safety, but it is the opposite of my other guns, so I wouldn't even think of using it safety "on". It is also a DA/SA, so there is some safety with the long trigger pull.

No safety on the XD9 but I have been wearing the LC9 with the safety on and practicing turning off the safety while drawing in one swift move...
    NRA Member
    XD 9 EDC
    Ruger LC9 with Crimson Laser BUG
    Marlin 30/30

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links