Why do I carry at home

This is a discussion on Why do I carry at home within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just carry. Home, work, anywhere I legaly can in NYS. I was born about 1/2 a mile from where I live now. Bought this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why do I carry at home

I just carry. Home, work, anywhere I legaly can in NYS. I was born about 1/2 a mile from where I live now. Bought this place after I got out of the Air Force in 72. It was a nice neighborhood then but now the two family homes are owned by absentee landlords that don't give a dam about anything but collecting their rent. We bought a home in Rolesville NC and will move there in 2 years 10 1/2 months, not that I am counting. Can not wait to get out of this place.
    Be safe, Frank.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    Maybe it would be easier to get those metal hurricane shields so you can push a button and deploy and lock the steel shutters over all openings in the house. Then you are secured from storms, bg's, and giant mice.
    Ahhhhh Yes! The infamous RUS's or Rodents of Unusual Size!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I live in a great neighborhood. One reason I carry at home, especially on Sunday nights, is because I watch "The Walking Dead" and it scares the crap out of me. When I have to take my dog out in the dark, I am ready if a "walker" comes after me.

Hmmmmmmmm. Okay, I'll tell the truth: I carry at home usually because my CROSSBREED Super Tuck Deluxe is so dang comfortable that I simply forget I'm wearing a firearm and it just stays ON. I usually fall asleep in my BIG BOY "Dad's TV Chair" with a Sig 1911 45 snuggled in all warm and comfy. It comes off when I dress for bed at night and then goes under the pillow.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I live in a great neighborhood. One reason I carry at home, especially on Sunday nights, is because I watch "The Walking Dead" and it scares the crap out of me. When I have to take my dog out in the dark, I am ready if a "walker" comes after me.
    ROFL! I remember when I was active duty, my room mate and I went to see "An American Werewolf in London" and got so scared we both sat up talking all night long, with all the lights on, stereo blasting and guns loaded with SILVERTIPS ready to go and yeah, I know silvertips aren't really "silver" but I figured the wolves wouldn't know. Just picture two big strong US Army Officers skittish of the dark. LOL Not really my greatest moment. It didn't help that we were renting a house in the middle of the woods on a long lonely unlit road. Yeah, we had a lot of awesome unit parties out there, but it was pretty isolated. I'm surprised we never got 'Squatch activity.
    smolck likes this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun4169 View Post
    I live in Philadelphia, PA simple as that ! The city of crime and murder ! When I have the chance I will leave but funds prohibit me from doing so right now !
    i'd like to go up state to Bradford CTY or Erie Cty. If I stay south, Chambersburg. Philly has turned into a real rathole ! A couple of years ago Philadelphia made time magazine's cover as most murderous city !
    I was in Philly about a year ago. I really liked it: the history there is fantastic. Went to Reading market, ate some great food. I wandered around the streets past City Hall, Independence Hall, and Rittenhouse Square. I felt a bit unsafe at night walking around by myself, but I stayed alert and nothing happened. Great city to vist!

I have to admit while I do carry at home most of the time there are some times I don't. BAD ME!!

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -V
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I live in Orlando, drug capital of Cental Florida....we got it all from bookoo drug dealers, gang activity, armed robberies, home invasions, domestic double suicides, road rage shootings and, and lots and lots of guns in the wrong hands.....other than that, its a really nice quiet town.

Sitting here playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 with my Glock 19 and Bersa Thunder 45 Ultracompact within reach....I don't take a shower without a gun easily accessible, and am never unarmed while I am awake. Some call it paranoid, some call it well prepared.......ooooohh the range opens at 9am tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep.
    I live in Brevard Co. seems as though we are trying to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    I live in Brevard Co. seems as though we are trying to catch up.
    Looks like all the riff-raff is leaving Miami Dade County and moving north since Miami is no longer a fit place to raise a family.

In order to benefit, crime is always there, we can't stop. We can do is far away from the crime.

Why do I carry at home?

42 yrs as LEO on 3 continents and a war-Stuff happens! I was burglarized by a local SO Deputies kids!!! Thank God they are all in jail now-the parents held themselves as parents of the year! Neighbor has 15 arrests+ for B&Es, multiple felons on a 1 mile dirt road, not to mention a general lack of civic awareness and responsibility among this group of good air wasters. So far they respect me for who I am and for what they know I will do if bothered since the burglary.

3D
    I carry at home......
    "Home is where the heart is" . . . . and home invasions occur.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I carry at home because I believe in the Boy Scout's motto...."Be Prepared".
    Amen

Let's see, across the street, young detective friend of mine. Next door to him, detective for the city I live in. The other side of him, work from home single woman, always home. Next door to me, elderly couple, always home, always alert. Other side of me, retired couple (him I think from military). Next door to HIM, another cop from a different city. Two other cops from my city live down the road.

That being said, I feel pretty safe here. However, I am currently waiting for my ccw class, so I can't carry outside the home, and as such, have not become quite in the carrying habit, but a handgun is loaded and close enough at basically all times. I heard it said before (have not checked the numbers :) that 100% of all home invasions happen IN THE HOME!

I'll add a reason I don't think anyone else mentioned yet - when you are "at home," you frequently still go outside - to bring out the trash, get the mail, relax in the yard, etc. If you don't carry at home, the temptation is to not carry when you are "just going out for a second."

This is also a great reason to have a smaller handgun, especially one that fits in a pocket - there is just no reason not to carry it, even at home.
    marcclarke and dawei like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links