Is nine enough??

This is a discussion on Is nine enough?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 9mm is definitely more than enough. It's all about shot placement. Luckily, it's really cheap ammo, so she can practice quite a bit....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is nine enough??

9mm is definitely more than enough. It's all about shot placement. Luckily, it's really cheap ammo, so she can practice quite a bit.

2. Remove Ads

I think the 9mm would be fine. Shot placement is the important factor here. The shotgun is also a good solution. I am a big fan of revolvers for HD guns. If I was going to buy a pistol specifically for HD I would buy a steel framed 8 shot .357. Its very simple to operate and there is very little that can go wrong. Just my $0.02

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    However, not too many folks have fired one more than once, w/o hearing protection, indoors.
    I will only comment that from my experiance in warrant service dutys , If and when you need to shoot indoors be it shotgun or pistol you really wont even notice the noise .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    9MM should be fine. As said, shot placement matters. Just make sure she intimately knows how to use whatever weapon SHE decides on.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Would she be willing to take a trip to your local range, where she would be able to rent a few different weapons? Might help make the decision.

Personally, I like the idea of a revolver for someone who hasn't much experience because of the simplicity. As mentioned earlier, a 7 or 8 shot .357 gives the option of using .38's also.

Speaking as an NRA instructor, I'd say a 9 is fine. You might consider a gunlight on the rail with the remote pressure switch. This is the rig I use for HD except I'm using the USP 45 with the gunlight. But I'd feel well armed and safe if I used my Beretta M92FS. I'd also recommend using frangible loads inside so you don't run the risk of over penetration or a ricchochet with family members present.

If you use a shottie I'd advise against the buckshot loads indoors for exactly the same reason.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I also think the 9mm would do just fine for a home defense handgun, considering what you've told us about your fiance. One question: Does she not like the XD because of the recoil/report of the .40 cal? or do the ergonomics of the pistol not suit her? If it's just that the .40 is a bit much for her and she otherwise has no problem, you might consider getting a second XD in 9mm. This would have the advantage of being identical in operation to your .40, so that if she had to use it, she'd already be familiar with it.

If the pistol doesn't fit her, then take her to a gun store or gun show and let her try a number of them to see what fits her hand best. My young bride has an FNP-9 that she can drive tacks with. She used this one to qualify for her CHL, although her favorite is her "hogleg", an S & W 10-5 .38 that she's had for many years. Her FN has a Glock light/laser combo mounted. I agree with ExSoldier on the usefulness of mounted lights for home defense. I have an Insight M3X on my Desert Warrior.

A shotgun is an excellent weapon to have available. I don't hold with the empty chamber concept, though. Especially if one doesn't shoot a lot, the act of chambering a round is one more opportunity for something to go wrong. Murphy will show up if you give him half a chance. Besides, I'd rather have the extra round already loaded. If you feel you need to scare the BG, then yelling "I've got a shotgun, M**F**!" ought to do the trick. My young bride already owned a Mossberg 12 w/pistol grip when we first dated -- another reason I knew she was the girl for me!

The main problem with the shotgun is that it's not very handy. You really couldn't expect your fiance to carry it with her when she answers a knock at the door. A handgun has the virtue of convenience -- you can always have it on you, even when greeting the FedX guy (or the fake FedX guy).

Keep us posted on how the decision process is coming along!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

+1 on what ever feels comfortable to her, if she's uncomfortable with it she won't use it. I also have guns stashed around the house, I have a 357 Mag, wife can handle +p 38 Spec in it and (IMO) if your wife/fiance already goes to the range with you alot, a revolver is better. No safeties, just point and pull in a hi stress situation probably in low light. But again it is what she practices with and feels comfortable with.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

got to go with the gauge.it just makes it harder to miss in a stressful momment.how may cop shows have you seen where they empty thier weapon/weapons & no one was hit? got some 00 buck for ya scumbag,KABOOM,take that!!

Since this is for home defense, a full-size pistol may be a good choice. With that in mind, I suggest that you consider the Beretta 92FS. I see them for $485 (plus $25 shipping and what your FFL will charge to receive it) at Ordnance Outsellers; see lower-right side of this page: http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com/index.htm

For my "house gun", I use a Beretta 92G-SD with rail-mounted light (no rail with 92FS)...and, I definitely consider the 9 to be enough!

Last edited by JimmyC4; August 14th, 2006 at 04:02 PM.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    No sir. I would reccommend FMJ ammo if(if!) you live in a house, and there are only two people living there, and they both are in the same bedroom.

In the middle of the night or upon retreat to the safe room(master bedroom),the rest of the house is a "free fire zone" to me and my wife.

I don't want the BG being able to hide from me around the corner of a door or behind any wall. With my HD weapons I will not wait for him to stick his head around the corner to take a quick shot at his head. I will shoot through my sheetrock walls. This,after I'm sure that the intruder is not a GG.

In the above mentioned situation I would reccommend FMJ's. -------

RSSZ,

I understand your logic though I can't say I agree with it. Issues of declaring the house a free-fire zone aside, JHP's punch through sheetrock walls every bit as well as FMJ and perform better in the anti-personnel role, especially in a +P.

To each his own...

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerNick View Post
    So I wanna know How many of your are comfortale with using a 9mm as a Home Defense caliber? (anyone is welcome to turn this into a vote that knows how to...) My options seem to be that or a bigger, heaver 40 cal... any thoughts are welcome, but im not really to start the cal. war again!
    thanks in advance
    I'd rather a .40, but we rented an XD40 sub to make sure my wife could shoot it before we bought one. If she had problems, I'd have been OK with a 9--Control is more important than caliber, and if shooting is unpleasant, she won't.

Another option for a home gun is a bigger, heavier gun without reducing caliber. In a recent training class, I borrowed a full-sized Sig in .40. I didn't like the DA first shot, but it had a LOT less recoil than my subcompact. If you can find something heavy, but with a grip she can deal with, you might be able to stay with a .40, or even go up to .45. The compact, alloy 1911 I've shot had less intense recoil than the XD Service I was shooting at the time. A full-sized, steel frame 1911 would be even less recoil.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    A nine will do the job if the shooter does his or hers.

Shoot a place on the perp worth shooting, and shoot it a lot.

Both my carry/home defense pistols are "nines"; the Bertetta 92FS has Crimson Trace lasergrips. With JHPs, I am happy with the sense of safety. Some of my friends in the military wish that they could use JHPs, and save the taxpayers the expense of buying a new generation of 45s

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links