Is nine enough??

This is a discussion on Is nine enough?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems like the selection ought to be left up to her, if she is the primary user. Maybe a custom 45 5" inch barrel and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is nine enough??

Seems like the selection ought to be left up to her, if she is the primary user. Maybe a custom 45 5" inch barrel and mods to reduce recoil (ported) etc..

Strickly home defense.., I would consider a semi-auto 12 guage shotgun.
    Last edited by INTJ; August 14th, 2006 at 07:47 PM. Reason: To expound upon my previous line of thought

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I carry a 9mm and I think it is more than adequate. Just be sure to load hollow point ammo in the 115-124 grain weight range.

My home defense weapon BTW is a Remington 870 12 gauge.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Nine's enough in my opinion as long as she hits the target. I have a nine (among others) at home but have instructed my wife to go for the shotgun first if I'm not around. Despite it being a 12 gauge she feels more comfortable with it than a handgun. While her aim is questionable with the nine in rapid fire mode, she always hits with the shotgun.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I go with the shotgun, unless she is is going to go to the range twice a month until she is good with the 9MM
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member
    I also think that a 9mm is good enough for HD....particularly if you have someone else who may need to access and deploy the weapon who is not as comfortable with .40 caliber handguns.

My HD pistola (top) is a Beretta 92G Vertec with a Surefire X200A and Mec Gar 20 round magazine with a Pearce +2 floorplate, loaded with 23 rounds of Speer Gold Dot standard pressure 124 grain JHPs:

...oh, and that's my Kahr P45 below it.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

srfl,

Nice set-up! I used to use something similar, but built around a P-226.

srfl, you've got that Beretta decked out well to do the job. Any thought of adding Crimson Trace grips to cover all the bases?

VIP Member
    Thanks Blackhawk.

I was thinking about it Jimmy....I think visible lasers on HD weapons is a good idea.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    IS NINE ENOUGH?

Depend on how much one is planning on missing the target.

Practice, Practice and then Practice some more. In low light and no light.

Jungle Work

Nine is enough. .38 is enough, Heck, even .22 is enough IF you put the rounds where they'll do the most damage. Shot placement is critical. Fast shots on a target are fine, but accurate shots on target are final! Get with your GF and shoot as many different calibers as you can and see what she feels comfortable shooting. If she's comfortable with the 9mm than there are plenty of very good SD loads that will get the job done. I personally use an XD9 Service as my carry/HD piece and fill it with Gold-Dot 124 +Ps for my SD ammo. I have no insecurities about that setup and know it will do the job if asked. I only have to do mine and put the rounds on target. The best thing to do though is to get to the range and shoot as many different guns and calibers as you can to see what she likes and can handle easily and accurately. Then you can work from there.

As far as a shotgun goes, yeah, they're great for home defense IF you know what you're doing and are trained to use them effectively. The big negative to the shotgun for HD, with someone who is not been trained to use one, is the fact that if you must move from room to room and have to negotiate corners, that barrel can be a significant downfall. A handgun typically is much easier to negotiate room to room if need be. If you have hunkered down in your safe room and are waiting it out till the local PD shows up though, a shotgun can't be beat for safe room defense.

JMHO
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

9mm+M3X+Lasermax is easy to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post

Her FN has a Glock light/laser combo mounted. I agree with ExSoldier on the usefulness of mounted lights for home defense. I have an Insight M3X on my Desert Warrior.
    9mm is just fine for a home defense gun. That said, she should get what feels good to her, what she is comfortable with, and what she can shoot the best. If that happens to have a rail, then the light and laser can be added after she is familiar enough with the weapon to handle the additional complication.

I have and really like that InSite M3X light. I absolutely need to have the ability to positively ID what ever I think might be a target before firing. So I bought the light because I'm pretty sure that if the need arises I won't be able to operate a seperate flashlight and the pistol at the same time very well, especially right after being awakened. The M3X is very easy to operate with the support hand thumb.

As a side benefit, that thing is bright (120 lumens). As an experiment, I pointed the light (only) at myself in the bathroom mirror standing back from the mirror about 7' late at night when I was fully dark adapted. Being fully dark adapted was an important part of the experiment. Then I looked right at myself in the mirror and flashed myself with the light. Boy howdy - my 64 year old eyes couldn't see anything but spots for about 3 seconds and not much for several seconds after that. Anything that adds to the environmental chaos for an invader is good, and this would certainly do that.

I think a 9mm is just fine as a HD gun. My Glock 19 is loaded with 17 rounds (I have a glock 17 magazine) of COR-BON +P JHP (I was going to use Glaser ammo but the reports of dissapointing performance lead me away from that), has a Lasermax laser in the spring guide rod (as of two days ago) and the M3X light on the front. It is kept loaded ready to pick up and fire - the Vault is locked during the day, unlocked at night (the one that you can lay your fingers on to run the buttons in the dark).

I tried the laser at the range just yesterday (I got it the day before yesterday). Using a rest, at 9' the gun made a quarter sized group of 5 shots. Also still using a rest, it put them all in a 1" group centered on the point of aim at 20' and 25'. I saw no need to test it farther than that.

That said, I quickly learned the laser is no substitute for knowing how to shoot. I can hit more accurately, and group smaller with the sights at any given range than I can with the laser firing free hand (not over a rest). I did find that in odd positions, like lying on the floor trying to shoot around a corner left (off) handed, I did a lot better with the laser than I did just pointing because I couldn't see the sights. I don't point a pistol well at all. So the laser will help make up for that to some extent.

Outside at night, that tiny laser light will shine brightly on my sisters house 150 yards away, through the window and into her living room. I've no idea where the bullet would go, it certainly isn't useful at that range, but that little light is sure bright at night.

The laser has its place. Knowing what I do, I'd buy it again. I really like the M3X light a lot. The combination of G19, Lasermax, and M3X makes a nice easy to use HD weapon.

Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger View Post
    Depends on how much and how well your girlfriend shoots.

Why not a .357 and then have the options of shooting 38 +p ??

Thats always my advice to new shooters. The ease of handling a revolver, and the versatility of .357 gives you lots of range time. And the cost of .38 spc wadcutters lets you shoot alot and still save for training classes.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

My gf has come to the range several times, but is reluctant because the only HG i have is the .40 cal service XD, if she can shoot my buddies .22, then she will come...there are no ranges in my area that rent guns (Des Moines, IA) and the only 9mm that I have access to is a SC XD, which she also is not partial too, because of the recoil, however she does like the smaller (SC) 9 better than the (service) 40...if i do decide on a 9mm for HD, both her and i will be proficient with it. Im thinking a Sig 226 ST in 9mm will fit the build nicely, but i hate to buy a gun without being able to shoot it first...(i do know you cant go wrong with a sig though)!
    -- Beware a man with many guns, he probably has an army, be more aware of a man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it!

well if you are looking at a sig why not have her check out the 239? or how about a stainless kahr in 9 or even the polymer ones? the polymer might kick a little more but is not bad. just food for thought =o)

9 is pretty much what we use here. I work nights, and the rifle in the closet is a 9mm AR15 with a surefire 6P attached, my girlfriend is most comfortable with it (she's claimed it as her own), the only other longarm she could handle is my 10-22, the others are too big, to heavy, or both. Even though she hasn't fired it, I also leave my M3 equipped G19 out, but the AR is the first thing that she would grab. The glock also fits her hand better than my .45s.

To be honest, I dont really care much for 9mm. IMO its falls on the line between plinking and defense calibers, but you know what they say, a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44. She's a decent shot with the AR, that's what matters.

As for me, I use a Springer Mil-Spec and a mossberg 590. The sun comes up as I leave work, and goes down as I'm going in, so even though an X200B and a 923FA are planned for the future, they aren't a priority.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links