Is nine enough??

Is nine enough??

This is a discussion on Is nine enough?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im looking into getting a new Home defense Pistol, and it will be used primarily as such. The thing is that I want the pistol ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is nine enough??

Im looking into getting a new Home defense Pistol, and it will be used primarily as such. The thing is that I want the pistol to be controlable enough for my girlfriend/fiance to use if she has too. I already own a SA XD-40 (service model), that she is not too thrilled with shooting. So I wanna know How many of your are comfortale with using a 9mm as a Home Defense caliber? (anyone is welcome to turn this into a vote that knows how to...) My options seem to be that or a bigger, heaver 40 cal... any thoughts are welcome, but im not really to start the cal. war again!
    thanks in advance
    -- Beware a man with many guns, he probably has an army, be more aware of a man with only one gun...he probably knows how to use it!

Depends on how much and how well your girlfriend shoots.

Why not a .357 and then have the options of shooting 38 +p ??

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerNick View Post
    Is nine enough??
    Might be. Depends on the situation and how it goes down.

Home defense ... controlable enough for my girlfriend/fiance to use ... she is not too thrilled with shooting [a SA XD-40] ...
    9mm serves this situation very well, IMO. It's why I carry 9mm. Depending on ammo used, it can deliver a dozen rounds or more of 350-400 ft-lbs energy of JHP lead. That approaches 40cal power, in a package that's generally more easily controlled, concealed. Every time I consider a .40 or .45 option, I keep coming back to the 9mm as a better mix, for me. Less-expensive to shoot often, as well, which is a nice bonus.

The thing about a home defense gun is that it won't be concealed. It need not give up size and take downside of loss of control. A full-sized 9mm semi-auto can work very well, here. Consider a CZ 75 B, or perhaps the CZ P-01 or 75 D PCR. All are easily controlled, including the last two despite having lightweight frames.

My carry options: CZ P01 9mm 14+1 (primary), Browning BDM 9mm 15+1, KelTec P3AT .380 6+1 (backup, go-everywhere).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Honestly, 9mm should be fine for a home defense handgun. But, if you are talking about a gun just for defense of the home, why not consider a shotgun? A 20 gauge or even a 410 gauge shot gun can be very easy to shoot even for someone who is not a "gun person".

But, if you are just talking about a handgun, then I think 9mm is fine as long as you plan on going to the range regularly and getting very proficient with it. And, the 9mm has the added benefit of being very affordable as far as practice ammo goes. So, you can become proficient with it with out going broke in the process.

I have a Taurus PT-99 as a home defense handgun. It sits in a holster that is attached to the frame of the bed on my side. It has a 32 round magazine in it when it is in that holster. I feel very well armed with it.

I would rather hit the bad guy with a 9mm round than miss with 10 .40 or .45 cal rounds.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've also been looking for a handgun for HD and decided on the Springfield Armory XD .45ACP Tactical (5" barrel). Rented the Service model (4" barrel version) on Saturday and it was very manageable. Much easier to shoot than my Glock 36 (but the G36 is a .45acp in small frame so it's got a lot more recoil).

Since it doesn't need to be concealed, the frame size doesn't need to be compact (obviously). I want a bigger caliber, not too much recoil and good reliability. I believe the XD 45acp (either model) should provide these. People here have said both are fine pistols, but the Tactical model offers greater sight radius for faster follow up shots and most say it also has less recoil.

But to answer your question, from my observation it seems that relying on a 9mm has split votes by our readers overall. Since the Glock 36 has too much recoil for me, I'm looking at the SA XD 9mm subcompact for carry. I wish I was big enough to carry the XD 45acp, but i'd settle for a 9mm if it means less recoil for faster follow up shots and greater reliability when dealing with a smaller pistol frame.

She should use what ever is comfortable for her to use and shoot. 9mm is enough because it is more important to have A gun then a particular gun. It should point well and be reliable for her. A revolver would work also.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

9mm is adequate with practice & reliable gun

I have a number of handguns in different calibers and always keep a couple of them hidden in my home for home defense use. I will often carry a gun on my person while at home, as well.

Two guns that are part of my "rotation" for home defense are 9mm in caliber - a Glock 19 and a Sig P226. Both have been absolutely reliable over a number of years of practice at the range, and both hold 15+1 rounds of ammo. I will keep them loaded with Federal +P+ 9mm hollowpoints having these ballistics:

115 grain bullet with velocity of 1300 fps and 432 ft lbs of energy.

Based on my reading, I have become convinced that hollowpoint handgun ammo in the energy range of 400 to 500 ft lbs, if delivered accurately to an attacking human, has a good chance of stopping the threat. And this 9mm ammo is well into that range, so I feel satisfied with it.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Staying within the perameters that you have set,I feel that a high cap 9 would be .........ok.

I do not own a 9mm but do know/understand a little about terminal ballistics.

Would suggest that you take a look at the very high cap 9's,and non +P ammo of the FMJ variety. This, if you live in a house,and only one bedroom is occupied(no one else in the house).-----------

If your girlfriend/fiance does her part, the 9mm will probably do its part.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Would suggest that you take a look at the very high cap 9's,and non +P ammo of the FMJ variety. This, if you live in a house,and only one bedroom is occupied(no one else in the house).
    I think you meant to say: "Would suggest that you take a look at the very high cap 9's,and avoid non +P ammo of the FMJ variety.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO If your g/f enjoys shooting , and shoots enough to hit well then a 9mm , or any pistol of service grade ctg. ( .38 special and up ) that fits her hands would be fine . If she is not a shooter , and really not interested in shooting , i would suggest a pump shotgun with a barrel in the 18 to 20" range . If she is recoil shy go with 20 ga , if she is not go 12 . Said shottie can be stored safely hammer down on an empty chamber , loaded mag , and the " klack klack " of tromboning it is a sound universaly recognised , simmilar to a rattlesnakes warning it is a sound that just makes one shivver lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I vote for the shotgun for HD. The best thing you can do is teach her to shoot and shoot often so she can pick up just about anything you have to use for HD if she needed to. Training is much more important than caliber!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I have to agree with what has been said already, Optimum home defense is the shotgun, short barrel and as large a guage as she feels comfertable with.

In reguards to the question at hand, again as stated before, 9mm or 38spl or larger should be fine, IMO it comes down to shot placement more than the size of the bullet.

Which ever weapon you both choose, Practice, Practice, Practice.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed - no cal wars! (pleeease )

I still carry 9mm and am content that in my platform (226 ST) I can better place more shots, even tho my 220 does fine.

As ever - it will be a decision based on carry options, and your personal control and effectiveness with what you carry - let's say perhaps, better an accurate 9mm delivery than a less accurate .45.

I do think 9mm can definitely be ''enough''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lots of SG recommendations, and I confess, I have one too. However, not too many folks have fired one more than once, w/o hearing protection, indoors. Talk about something that will rattle your teeth!

In general, a HG will have a higher "peak", and perceptually, be a bit easier (short-term) on you. My HGs are all 9mm. Whatever she decides on, get her out shooting, as much as you can. Just a thought......

Yes a 9mm is enough gun. I carry one as a back up car gun. The most important thing is to have one she likes and can (will) shoot.
    My wife's house gun is a 380. It fits her hands and she likes to shoot it.

Semper Fi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links