Which Is Greater: Drivers Having Car Accidents Or Shooters Having Gun Accidents?

This is a discussion on Which Is Greater: Drivers Having Car Accidents Or Shooters Having Gun Accidents? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING ! The usual thought is car accidents far outnumber gun accidents. Let's see here if there's any info on that: BUT ...

View Poll Results: I have Been Involved In a Serious Car or Gun Accident

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Have Been Involved In A Serious Car Accident

60 53.57%
  • I Have NOT Been Involved In A Serious Car Accident

51 45.54%
  • I Have Been Involved In A Serious Gun Accident

4 3.57%
  • I Have NOT Been Involved In A Serious Gun Accident

91 81.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which Is Greater: Drivers Having Car Accidents Or Shooters Having Gun Accidents?

Which Is Greater: Drivers Having Car Accidents Or Shooters Having Gun Accidents?

PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING !

The usual thought is car accidents far outnumber gun accidents. Let's see here if there's any info on that:

BUT MORE TELLING BECAUSE THE POPULATION HERE WILL BE BOTH SHOOTERS AND DRIVERS (or almost all drivers): LET'S SEE:

WHICH IS GREATER: DRIVERS HAVING CAR ACCIDENTS or SHOOTERS HAVING GUN ACCIDENTS?

I'll define "SERIOUS" as accident with injury.

I use the word "INVOLVED": that means you were in a car or gun accident that resulted in injury to yourself or another. It does NOT mean your car or gun necessarily injured you and/or someone else. You could also have been injured by someone else's car or gun. So, this poll does not concern itself with FAULT- only with INVOLVEMENT, any involvement. It does not imply you were at fault.

For myself, I was injured in a car accident but never was involved in any gun accident.
    Last edited by walleye; November 13th, 2011 at 09:58 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I had to answer yes to both car and gun accidents. At age 3 i rolled down a steep alleyway across two roads and crashed into a school brick wall. When the car hit the curb near the brick wall it threw me into the back seat..All i got was a cut under my eye from hitting the overhead light on my way into the back seat..My mom fainted as i rolled away in the car and my brothers playing in the alley saw me drive past...Then when i was 13 my brothers stupid idiot friend whose dad was the town police gun instructor(a real loser) was messin around with my 22 rife..i cam home from school saw them in the kitchen..didnt know he had my gun out i turned to go up stairs bang..shot in the back..weird thing was it didnt really hurt but i bled like a stuck pig and brother and his other friend in a muscle car got me to the hospital..didnt go through me came inches from my lung...had it yanked out that night..

Quote Originally Posted by aworldexport View Post
    I had to answer yes to both car and gun accidents. At age 3 i rolled down a steep alleyway across two roads and crashed into a school brick wall. When the car hit the curb near the brick wall it threw me into the back seat..All i got was a cut under my eye from hitting the overhead light on my way into the back seat..My mom fainted as i rolled away in the car and my brothers playing in the alley saw me drive past...Then when i was 13 my brothers stupid idiot friend whose dad was the town police gun instructor(a real loser) was messin around with my 22 rife..i cam home from school saw them in the kitchen..didnt know he had my gun out i turned to go up stairs bang..shot in the back..weird thing was it didnt really hurt but i bled like a stuck pig and brother and his other friend in a muscle car got me to the hospital..didnt go through me came inches from my lung...had it yanked out that night..
    I hope that was the end of either kind of accident for you!

haha i once got sliced on my arm when my brothers and i were sword fighting using my dads real swords and i almost blew off my hand lighting a pile of gunpowder..that stuff goes poof lol..yep burned hand burned hair..and lots of little things..back in the old days kids played outside i spent most of my free time runnin round the neighborhood with all the other kids..sad fact todays kids miss out on that sort of thing..no character building burnings and stabbings haha just butt blisters from playing video games inside...haha....

I've been in multiple car accidents over the years. I've never even come close to being shot. There are a lot more idiots out there with cars than there are people with guns altogether.
    Buckj likes this.

VIP Member
    Couple of auto accidents with injuries, never been involved in a gun accident but did spend some time ducking incoming fire and returning same.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

one example year

I know this poll concerns both fatal and nonfatal accidents, but thought these stats for fatalities might be interesting.

For 2007, the CDC records 123706 deaths from injury in the USA, of which 42031 were from vehicle accidents, 31224 from firearms (56% suicide, 41% homicide), 29846 from poisoning, 22631 from falls. So only 3% (937) of the firearm deaths, at most, were accidental. Traffic death is the clear winner, at least for 2007.

The firearm deaths are from page 11 of http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr58/nvsr58_19.pdf

RKM
    Never had a gun accident. Though I've been in 3 car accidents that were more than "fender benders", yet I was not injured. I was riding with a friend when he rear ended somebody at 35mph. I've been rear ended at about the same speed. Only accident that was my fault I spun into a guard rail at about 60mph. If you count a sore neck and bruise knee as injury, I guess I was injured.

AOK
    No gun accidents. The only big car accident I have ever been in was in elementary school. Our bus pulled out in front of a semi truck loaded with gravel moving 55 mph. No deaths but several kids ended up in the hospital.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Some of you guys are REALLY UNLUCKY

I have never even SEEN (in person ) a serious injury MV accident.

Seen a few NDs by people on the club range ( no injuries) .

My Life is extremely boring......
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    I was in 1 bad car wreck (was not an accident, idiot was racing to pass another car on 2-lane road and had been drinking)

I have worked WAY more car wrecks than I have shootings
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Some of you guys are REALLY UNLUCKY

I have never even SEEN (in person ) a serious injury MV accident.

Seen a few NDs by people on the club range ( no injuries) .

My Life is extremely boring......
    God hope it stays boring

From op

from op:

So far at 51 responses: 16 times more people have been involved in serious car accidents than serious gun accidents.

Out of 51 users of cars and guns only 2 have had a gun accident.

Too few responses to be scientific but Impressive so far.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I am not sure what we can hope to deduce from this poll; especially since we are not a representative group when it comes to firearms. The data from the CDC breaks out historic data which is scientific: www.cdc.gov

output_m1184181.jpg output_m1621211.jpg
    Last edited by bbqgrill; November 13th, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I am not sure what we can hope to deduce from this poll; especially since we are not a representative group when it comes to firearms. The data from the CDC breaks out historic data which is scientific: www.cdc.gov

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54372[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]54373[/ATTACH]

Nothing to deduce except that it is our own far as "which is greater, car or gun accidents?".

That answers only the question though of which there are more of, car or gun accidents relative to the whole population.

The other and more telling question which this poll at least indicates an answer to is:

Which is greater: Drivers having car accidents or shooters having gun accidents?

(I edited my original post to mention THAT question specifically - so that people would be aware of it)
    Last edited by walleye; November 14th, 2011 at 01:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links