PA Castle Doctrine

This is a discussion on PA Castle Doctrine within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PA Castle Doctrine Bill is being debated in the House this week, hoping that the bill will pass without the former mayor of Philadelphia casting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA Castle Doctrine

PA Castle Doctrine

PA Castle Doctrine Bill is being debated in the House this week, hoping that the bill will pass without the former mayor of Philadelphia casting a veto. He's up for reelection so he may just squirm and sign it!

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you guy's have a good shot at it then. Much luck to you!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh, this week - at last.

Well I do hope this does not get squashed, it is much needed and I hope when debated the uptake of such in other states such as FL is well considered.

Let logic win over emotion.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JD
    Administrator
    Well even if it doesn't get passed it could be worse...We could be living in Wisconsin where the CCW bill has been vetoed not once but twice, my inlaws are furious.

Hopefully this will be a go.

Good Luck with this PA guys!

I'm in the military but was born and raised in Crafton, my Uncle is a retired gunsmith and his pen is about worn out from writing to his elected officials so much, good luck!!!
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    You guys in PA need help bh's uncle write your elected officials
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I have written to my representative as well as Senator. I even got a form letter back from Platts

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Good luck to the PA. folks. I feel that it has a very good chance to pass.

These laws are on a roll. The average citizen is seeing that this law only helps the "average person" that is not rich enough for their own security team or the several thousand dollar home security systems. Also NO sign of "blood in the streets" or the infamous"shootout at the OK corral".

The people see it for what it really is >>>>a deterrant to crime. ------

Dear Representative Major:

I understand that the issue referred to as the “Castle Doctrine” is presently being discussed in the House of Representatives. This is an important issue and one which in principle should be adopted by our state, in my opinion. I believe evidence strongly bears witness to the fact that the incidence of crime is directly proportional to honest citizens not only having the right to bear arms, but in addition, freely exercising that right. In other words, the more the bad guys are aware of the risk that a potential victim not only may do them harm, but that the weight of the law is on the side of that potential victim defending his or her self, the less likely the crime would in probability be committed.

Further, I believe that the right of self defense when codified should be highly publicized (despite its unpopularity with those who would rather believe the interpretation of the evidence as spun by the popular media) in order that a greater number of possible criminals would get the message that their crime could cost them dearly. Such a dissemination of information can and does positively impact even those law abiding citizens who choose not to exercise the right of self defense.

Lastly, in the more perilous times in which we live, terrorism is becoming an increasing reality. Personally, I don’t believe it is going to go away. Laws need to be enacted which are forward-looking. Legislation upholding the individual’s right to self defense -- especially in the confines of the home and property, even to extend to a car, boat, or travel home – cannot be minimized. We have a land which is free for many reasons, not the lease is our right to own – and rightly use – weapons of lethal force. Terrorists will have to meet a force of citizenry which is armed, though not knowing who is armed, or which residence (or extension thereof) may be a deciding obstacle. Such uncertainty will be to our advantage in the war on terrorism and is worthy of consideration in the debate in question.

Please keep me informed of the debate on this issue as well as the position you hold. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Great Post xercise2nd, and a better letter to your representative
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I am confused regarding the "Castle Doctrine" legislation being debated in the PA legislature. I thought PA law protected people in their own home and that the present debate is to remove the duty to retreat when in a public place. Similar to what Florida enacted in 2005. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Good luck....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Reply from state representive

Received this informative -- yet non-commital -- reply:

August 16, 2006

Dear [me]:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your support for "Castle Doctrine" legislation in Pennsylvania. I am always appreciative when my constituents take the time to share their thoughts on legislative initiatives.

You will be glad to know that my colleague Representative Steven Cappelli introduced House Bill 2231 in November, 2005. The bill is based on legislation enacted in Florida which is often referred to as the Castle Doctrine. Among other changes to state law, it would offer civil immunity for the lawful use of force in self defense. The bill would create a presumption that an intruder who unlawfully and forcefully enters a home or occupied vehicle can be repelled with force, up to and including deadly force. And it would eliminate the duty to retreat which currently exists for situations which occur outside the home.

If you would like to access the text or track the activity of House Bill 2231 or any other bill, you may wish to access the General Assembly's website at www.legis.state.pa.us and click on "Session Information" under the section labled "Find".

Again, thank you for your strong interest in this issue. You can count on my careful consideration of this proposal. As always, please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I can assist in matters relating to state government.

Sincerely,

Sandra J. Major
    State Represenative
    111th District

Here is the text of the present bill (HB 2231) referenced in the preceding post: http://www2.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...B2231P3110.pdf

(Just trying to up my number of posts! )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links