Initial Reaction to Receiving a Concealed Weapons Permit

This is a discussion on Initial Reaction to Receiving a Concealed Weapons Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Receiving a permit to legally carry a weapon is quite a responsibility. What was your initial reaction when you received your carry permit? I took ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Initial Reaction to Receiving a Concealed Weapons Permit

Initial Reaction to Receiving a Concealed Weapons Permit

Receiving a permit to legally carry a weapon is quite a responsibility. What was your initial reaction when you received your carry permit?

I took this quote off from another thread that is currently being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    I remember reading a post a month or two ago where someone commented on receiving the license "I sat down on the stairs in front of my house and cried because of the responsibility that comes with it".
    I remember immediately praying for wisdom and guidance while returning from my mailbox.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Art Penny View Post
    I remember immediately praying for widom and guidance while returning from my mailbox.
    I quietly recited a little statement to myself as I picked mine up at the Sheriff's office, as well. I'd had a bit of training and had shot quite a lot, by then. I had long since come to peace with the degree of responsibility and questions we all need to face.

For me, the answers were reasonably clear. For insurance, for that 5% I couldn't plan, for myself and my family, no matter what the cost to the bad guy trying to harm those I love: I would be trained, I would be skilled, and I would be mentally prepared. After I had achieved a modicum of quality in each of these areas, I went after the license. After that, the CHL card was a mere formality, really. IMO, mindset and determination is 90% of it, with the gun being merely the last in a ring of defensive preparations.

Congratulations!

- Michael
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote by ccw9mm!

IMO, mindset and determination is 90% of it, with the gun being merely the last in a ring of defensive preparations.
    What a great quote ccw9mm!

I also had some good training before even being able to apply for my CHL permit (hadn't passed yet, nor did I think it would ever pass). I had been preparing for several years to defend myself with martial art's (this was my only means of defense), I really thought that Missouri would never pass CCW. So for me it was a long time coming and I really didn't think to much about it other than it would be the last resort if I ever really needed it, but atleast I'd have it if I did need it.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I've shot guns and hunted since I was a little kid. I've been carrying for quite a while ...it was a big relief to be able to carry legally.
    ...one jagged hole!

Administrator
    It is a very serious responsibility not to ever be taken irresponsibly or lightly.
    Ditto: that I had a very long, intimate early exposure to various firearms & so was already quite ready & prepared to carry responsibly and safely.

Assistant Administrator
    IMO, mindset and determination is 90% of it, with the gun being merely the last in a ring of defensive preparations.
    I agree on that too Michael - it sums things up very succinctly. Only other word missing is the responsibility.

Being PA I got mine within 30 minutes so - no mail man - just left the SO with permit in hand. All the way home did indeed ponder on what that meant and when my then carry M85 was strapped on (this was pre CC mandated) WalMart visit - I was finally struck by just how much this meant in all respects.

First and foremost I knew that it would by default have to mean I avoided any confrontions that could be avoided - it meant my alertness therefore had to ramp up to proper yellow - and then that I was the custodian of a lethal weapon in public. The whole wrapped up in a great degree of responsibility.

It remains that way to this day nearly 5 years on.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    My initial reaction was "finally!" as I had been waiting 90 days for it.

I think was got me the most was, because I suddenly had to conceal my gun (TN doesn't specifically state it has to be concealed) I felt a bit ostracized by the general public like a had a weird disease I had to keep hidden.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I was very excited when the date finally came to go pick it up. Then a nice sense of relief came as I felt a lot more comfortable walking around in public.

JD
    Administrator
    My reaction, was a little relief, I had lived by the gun for 6 months in Iraq, and while being stateside is much less hazardous, I still felt a little "naked" without a sidearm. I felt at ease as if an extension of myself ad been returned, my piece of mind was back to 100%

I haave been shooting since I was 5, then 5 years in the Marines, I had allready been carrying weapons for most of those 5 years, my CCW, while a legal nessecity was not so much as a "culture shock" as some of you have described. CCW 9 said it best, it's all in the midset, as long as you realize that you may be out into a position to take a life, and your ok with it and understand the laws pretaining to your "right to carry" what else do you really need?

I think that it was a sense of safety: I am disabled and we live about 45 minutes from a possible answer to a 911 call (not that LE is much of a comfort). With MI's new "Self Defence Act" now in place, I think that I have maximized what I can do to protect myself in a bad situation. That's peace of mind.

Lead Moderator
    I was glad to get my 2nd ammend rights granted to me. Yes , It is a responsibility, but my daily life didn't change much. I never was was to start a fight. Mostly the CCW permit just made my life easier. I can now carry w/o loading /unloading all the time just to drive.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You know, responsibility is a funny thing. Some people handle it well and some don't. Some take it in stride and some need lot's of education to handle it well. I remember thinking relieved that I could exersize my second amendment rights and better protect my family. The responsibility was not really anything new to me. I take it very seriously but I'm used to it. Having spent over a decade as the literal captain of my own boat and traveling with family aboard full time.

At sea you have good captains, so so captains and bad captains. For a full timer like us that meant that everything we owned and our lives were in my hands 24 hours a day. Spend enough time out there and you will wind up in some sticky situations. You can either act decisevely and knowledgably and save the bacon or you can start calling a mayday when you should have planned for and taken the steps to be ready for such an event. There might come eventualities that will require help but to be respected by your peers you needed to be good at what you did.

Carrying a weapon is alot like being at sea. Some take quickly to the training, mindset and responsibility well. Alot of people just seem to be terrified of any sort of ultimate responsibility. They alas, will probably always be sheeple. Oh, and I'd reccomend they don't go to sea either!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Receiving the permit was a relief. My father passed on to me the importance of carrying...mostly just when we traveled...so I had carried in my car when on a trip for some time. Even though Texas law allows this, some jurisdictions have indicated they would still prosecute and allow a jury to decide whether you were "traveling" or not. There was also the problem of traveling in other states. Now that I have the CHL, I have found the resources to confirm other states reciprocity.

I now carry all the time...even at home, because the safest place for my weapon is on my person. The responsibility for safety is an awsome one. I have a great deal of peace about using my firearm in a defensive situation, because I know I will only draw it as a last resort, when it is down to either the BG or some other innocent, or me.

I don't exactly remember.

I was a senior at the University of Alabama and it was an Alabama permit (1979). I was about ready to earn my commission as a US Army Infantry Lieutenant and already had some fairly extensive firearms experience having worked full time to put myself thru school as an armed guard. I think that at that time, I was of the opinion that if Uncle Sam trusted me enough to teach me to call in artillery fire or an air strike, I could trust myself enough to selectively choose a single individual to neutralize should it become necessary. A LOT of our Army ROTC students also had CCWs. It was no big deal.

Oddly enough my FIRST need to draw actually came a few months later when my girlfriend and I were caught at a stoplight and trapped in the midst of traffic while acosted by multiple thugs. All it took was a simple display of my first ever revolver: A S&W Model 19 with a 4" barrel I carried in a SafariLand shoulder rig.

Well, this is post #2600 for me.

BTW, WELCOME GLOCKMAV!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

It was wierd at first and then you get more holsters. Then you find some things that work for you. You become more relaxed and it becomes second nature. Then you notice it when you don't carry.

It is well worth it to carry and know you can defend your family and yourself.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links