Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot? - Page 2

Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot?

This is a discussion on Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SFury, I would tend to agree to a degree. Most modern firearms do not require a break in round count, however, I just purchased a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot?

SFury,

I would tend to agree to a degree. Most modern firearms do not require a break in round count, however, I just purchased a new Kimber and it states in the manual that a break in period of 400 to 500 rounds. I realize that we are speaking of a 1911 design that is 100 years old, but there are still a large number of 1911 style pistols being made.

Even the trusted Glock in Gen 4 has issues that don't always show up out of the box. While it doesn't require a break in round count, it sure makes sense to test them well before you carry them.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Great point, I don't carry a gun until my minimum of 250 rounds is met but if I was in a pinch I would carry a Glock or an XD/xdm or a s&w revolver because my experience with them and no failures but I agree with you.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." -V
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I did last week... bought a new S&W 642, loaded it up with PDX +P and put it in my Smartcarry.

Did hit the range that night after cleaning it and put 50 rounds of range ammo and 10 rounds of the PDX through it, went bang every time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Because it's a Glock.

(Someone had to say it!)
    I will say it too! I don't have allot of time as a single mother! Proven reliability is paramount for people in my situation....and I will pay the extra $$ for it.

I know that glocks run 100% out of the box and don't need any breaking in. I will fire the weapon just to get familiar with it and the caliber I'm shooting and thats about it!

G27 and G36 both have about 50 rds through them without failure....good enough for me!!!!

I would carry each without ever firing a single round through them.

ymmv :)
    Magnum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    The post on Your Friend's Course of Action and the fact that I have been looking on some forums for a used gun, a hobby of mine, looking that is, got me thinking.

I read posts that state that the gun was their CCW and has 0 - 50 rounds through it or that they have carried it for X years and there is less than 100 rounds use.

Not setting myself up as an example but:

My first carry gun was a 1911 and I was taught that it had to have a minimum of 300 rounds to break it in. I always shoot a minimum of 300 rounds through anything I intend to carry, and if it malfunctions, more. I also tell my students that they should never carry a gun that they aren't sure will work. I do this for anything that will be used for SD on my person or night stand regardless of the manufacturer. Why on earth would someone trust their life to something untested.

Second, how could you possibly be ready to defend yourself when the SHTF if you don't train or practice with what you carry. Even if you have multiples of the same model, that doesn't mean that they will function or aim the same.

How much do you shoot the gun you carry?
    My barber has had a 38 snub in a stuck away in a drawer for years and years - never shot it once. Go figure............

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Firearms made today don't need the breaking in like they used to.
    - While that's true, not every gun will feed every type of round reliably. Especially when it comes to JHP.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    I know that glocks run 100% out of the box and don't need any breaking in. I will fire the weapon just to get familiar with it and the caliber I'm shooting and thats about it!
    - Glocks are one of the most reliable guns out there, but I would never trust a gun I didn't run at least 200 rounds through. Look at the Gen4 problems people had out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Is this the monthly thread were all the guys claim their monthly/yearly regime is the minimum standard for concealed carry, and everyone who does less is a fool?

There are lots of stories out there of little old ladies defending themselves successfully with some partly rusted 1940s revolver.

I'm not saying that's the best plan - just posting the obvious.

So, rather than have this standard posting exercise, I'd like some of you pros to post what you believe the absolute minimum standards of training are for non-LEO concealed carriers. Let's at least make this interesting....
    OK, I'll bite. However, nowhere in my OP did I mention minimums other than enough rounds to make sure that the weapon will function. And nowhere did I insinuate that people who do not fire X number of rounds regularly was foolish. I will state though, that it is foolish to trust your life on something that you have not tested. I have seen guns give up the ghost after about 100 rounds or so. And lest we get the "Glock never fails" routine, just check the forums on the Gen 4.

I am not an LEO or Mil and I don't teach like I was. I am not a mall ninja or a Rambo want to be; nor am I a bulls-eye instructor, but I am a defensive instructor and I tell my students that they need to make payments on their expertise. Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes consistent. Can you defend yourself having never fired a gun, or can an old lady defend herself with an old rusty piece? Sure, but chances are you have read more articles about people missing the attacker than those that hit. Will looking down the rifled end of a barrel scare some off? Yep. Can a 1 or 2 year old bang on a piano and make notes? Yes but you can bet your rear end that the ones who are proficient piano players don't skip practice.

My teaching is practice to the level of proficiency you wish to achieve and maintain. If you are happy and content in owning a rusted ole revolver and having to dust it off, then that's OK by me. If all you want to do is take 5 shots in 15 seconds and poke holes in paper, be my guest. Paper has never shot back, and no one has ever been attacked by a target. But when the SHTF and you run up against the guy who wants you to fund his next fix, you had better been taking your shooting more seriously because unless your are the luckiest shaky gun, you will need more rounds than the little old lady could fire.

Is there a minimum, no. Is there a recommended number, not by me. Why? Because people are different. I have seen students that have severe arthritis. They can't shoot more than about 50 rounds at a time. But every time they go to the range they shoot their carry piece. Also, some go to the range with 300 rounds, and achieve their peak at 100 rounds. They are just wasting the other 200 rounds.

One other thing about practicing. If someone carries a gun that does not have a manual safety and another that does, they are looking for a disaster unless they train and practice with both. Frequently.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Well, that's why I would never rely on a gun that I did not shoot with my chosen SD round. Some guns like certain rounds better than others. That's a well known fact. I have not seen that mentioned here all that often, but you see this noted all the time with hunting guns.

It's why I believe in using the round I choose to hunt/defend myself with to sight my firearms with.

tts
    I shoot my EDC once a week. I'm thankful for lifetime range memberships. :D

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - While that's true, not every gun will feed every type of round reliably. Especially when it comes to JHP.

- Glocks are one of the most reliable guns out there, but I would never trust a gun I didn't run at least 200 rounds through. Look at the Gen4 problems people had out of the box.
    Yes! I agree 100% Both of mine are Gen3. A "new design" I would have to research and test.

I am always surprised at the amount of people I run into that do this. I don't even try to talk to them any more. The sad/dangerous part is that a nice pistol will end up in the hands of the BG when he takes it away from them and shoots them with their own gun!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Range once a month. Practice drawing from holster and dry firing once a week.

Yes, I will set a minimum as I have my own safety standards. Whether or not anyone else does what I do, or should do what I do is totally up to them, and I could really care less what they decide.

My minimum is 500 rounds to "break the gun in", although whether or not that is necessary these days is questionable, but once again, I do not care. Also, any gun related malfunctions start the count over again.

I'm relaxing the count on my carry ammo as the quality control in regards to premium hollow points is rather good, and I've neither had nor seen any malfunctions with Gen 3 Glock 9x19mm handguns with modern premium hollow points manufactured by Speer, Federal, Corbon or Winchester, so I'm not as concerned as I used to be. (75% of the people I train with carry and shoot Gen 3 9x19mm Glocks, and I've seen quite a few rounds put down range. I also own three Gen 3 Glock 19s...)

As to the exact number, I now put it at 100 rounds minimum of my carry ammo down range, although I will end up shooting far more than that over time.

My current EDC is a new Gen 3 Glock 19 with Cerakote which I bought less than two weeks ago, and I have ~750 rounds down range, including 100 rounds of my current carry ammo Corbon DPX 115 gr. +P and 250 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P. The rest is all 124 gr. NATO FMJ. I generally shoot 1,000 rounds a month at a minimum, but I shoot most of it with my "practice" Glock 19 rather than my carry Glock 19.

P.S. I don't like that underpowered 115 gr. crap you get at Walmart for multiple reasons, and here's an example why: Three weeks ago, I watched a guy at the Magpul Dynamics "Dynamic Carbine 1" shooting a Sig P226 Blackwater having malfunctions every few rounds using Federal White Box 115 gr. I gave him a mag full of my 124 gr. Ruag NATO FMJ, and he no longer had issues.

Anyways...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

What a hoot. I guess the old saying is right. Owning a piano does not make you a piano player.

umm, why would you shoot it? my snub nose357. mag is only about 5yd accurate.and i shoot it a lot....lol my best be is to throw it..prob do more damage..lol now the Para ord P-14...freaking tack driver...not uncommon to key hole a 14 round mag at 30 yds..

But to answer the question..a new fire arm that doesnt require the break in...Fire 50-100 rounds if it tack drives..carry with confidence...yeah right, why have a hand gun and not shoot it..especially if you stake your life on it.. never take an unproven weapon to combat..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links