Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot?

This is a discussion on Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I won't carry a gun until I am comfortable and confident in my ability with a particular weapon and the weapon has demonstrated reliability. That ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot?

I won't carry a gun until I am comfortable and confident in my ability with a particular weapon and the weapon has demonstrated reliability. That may vary with any given weapon. I have a xd40sc that I have put in excess of 1,000 rounds through that I am very comfortable with my abilities and it as a reliable weapon. I just traded a gun for a brand new Glock 36 that I only have 100 rounds through and I am not confident in my abilities with it at this point. How ever many rounds it takes for me to be confident in my abilities with it is however many it takes before I will carry it. If that day never comes, then so be it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

To answer Tomstr's original question: Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot?

BTW, I did read the whole of the first post.. so I know that isn't "the question."

They carry a gun they haven't shot because the new shall issue law in their state, as crafted by the NRA, does not require them to even touch a firearm before getting their permit to carry it (At least that's the case in IA).

I am absolutely, 100% for shall issue. But, I also fully believe it is incumbent upon those who have the permit and use it, to do so responsibly. IMO, issuing a permit to carry a handgun to a person who has never even had to hold a gun is akin to giving driver's licenses to those who have never even been in the front seat of a car.

Eventually, these shall issue laws as they are written (to exclude the need for even basic training, except for knowing about firearm safety, which does not require handling any weapon), will eventually cause all CCW holders to be painted in a bad light... It is my hope that I am not around for the reverse swing of the pendulum that it will cause.

Frankly, I hope I'm wrong.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Only if I just purchased it and on the way to the range.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

AOK
    We are all entitled to our opinions. I am with you, I would never carry a gun without putting several hundred rounds through it. I can understand how some people would think it's risky. Heck, I think it's crazy that people with the time and money don't take advantage of their resources and go to the range more often or get some GOOD training on a regular basis of they carry for self defense. OR just because they take a class or two they think they are good to go and hardly ever practice what they were taught. Crazy to me but it's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    but chances are you have read more articles about people missing the attacker than those that hit.
    I've read many of those articles, the majority of them centering around the police missing more than they hit.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I would only carry a gun I hadn't thoroughly tested in the unlikely situation that it was the only gun available to me.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I am always surprised at the amount of people I run into that do this. I don't even try to talk to them any more. The sad/dangerous part is that a nice pistol will end up in the hands of the BG when he takes it away from them and shoots them with their own gun!
    So, what you're saying is not that this might happen, but is guaranteed to happen, while someone who practices is guaranteed to prevail.

I'd be interested to see if facts back you up.

Please note that I am NOT defaming the value of practice. I am simply wondering aloud whether or not all that practice ultimately drives the desired results. I have read more (admittedly) anecdotes of average citizens protecting themselves with a firearm than some highly trained former LEO/military or fast-draw "expert".

Like the pster above, I have also read numerous accounts of police mishandling their firearms - undoubtedly due to the sheer number of armed police. I love watching those "reality" shows on TV. They ran an advert for one the other day (Border Town: Laredo), and they loooove to show guns. The showed some civilian-dressed cop racking his sidearm while it was pointed right at his leg. Moron.
    Last edited by MadMac; November 15th, 2011 at 09:42 AM.

Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot?
    Because it's better than a gun in the safe (that hasn't been shot.)

Okay, it's a bad idea.
    I'm ashamed to say I own three guns I haven't shot........yet.
    But I don't carry them.
    Maybe this makes me a "collector".
    My carry gun hasn't been shot a lot, but it has been 100% reliable, and not much fun at the range.
    (A Seecamp)

I don't shoot as much as I should. I've been target practicing probably 5-6 times since this spring when I got my CHP. 3 of those times were training. I think I've shot a total of 600+ rounds.

This winter is going to be tougher for me target practicing as I use an outdoor range & go with my neighbor. But he older & can't stand the cold, so I've got to do something else...

Why would one carry a gun they have not fired ? Lack of funds. Out of necessity. No time to get to the range. No access to a range or place to shoot. Lack of training. Now all of you rightous commandos, have you not been in any or all of those situations? I have and agree it sucks but one must deal with what you are dealt. A man does what a man must do.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Please note that I am NOT defaming the value of practice. I am simply wondering aloud whether or not all that practice ultimately drives the desired results. I have read more (admittedly) anecdotes of average citizens protecting themselves with a firearm than some highly trained former LEO/military or fast-draw "expert".
    I agree with Richard Mann (Handgunner Tactical) Quote, "Some instructors like to complicate the concept of self-defense with a handgun. They make the theory of concealed carry out to be almost as complicated as calculus. Granted, if you are a member of Seal Team Six, you have a lot of skills you must learn. The truth of the matter is though, these advanced gunfighting skills are really not needed in your everyday life--unless you're a SWAT team member or monster hunter. When it comes to everyday survival and the basics of personal defense with a firearm, the old axiom KEEP IT SIMPLE applies. After all, all you really want to do is live out your life without interruption from thieves, vagabonds and creatures of the undead".

I have only one gun, my Kel-Tec PF9 9mm Luger so I've shot close to 800 rounds of various ammo, both FMJs and HPs. I had a few FTEs with 115 gr loads but was 100% with 124 gr, 124 gr +P and 147 gr loads. Also my FTEs came from 115 gr value packs, I think that's understandable and the 50 round boxes of 115 gr FMJ were 100%.

I have 3 SD loads I can trust with my gun, Winchester PDX1 124 gr +P, Federal 124 gr Hydra-Shok and WWB USA 147 gr HP. My fav range loads are Federal Champion 115 gr FMJs.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I put several hundred rounds through both my G17 & my PF-9 after purchase on a monthly basis for a few months. I still try to keep a monthly schedule, dropping at least 100 rounds of FMJ as well as my mags of carry ammo through each.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Lack of funds may account for some reasons, but I think people who carry a gun they have never shot "feel" that they are safer by having a gun, and they may be. Just pointing a gun at the BG prevents lots of crimes.

However, those who practice until they are proficient "know" that they are safer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links