Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot?

This is a discussion on Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The post on Your Friend's Course of Action and the fact that I have been looking on some forums for a used gun, a hobby ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Why would anyone carry a gun they haven't shot?

The post on Your Friend's Course of Action and the fact that I have been looking on some forums for a used gun, a hobby of mine, looking that is, got me thinking.

I read posts that state that the gun was their CCW and has 0 - 50 rounds through it or that they have carried it for X years and there is less than 100 rounds use.

Not setting myself up as an example but:

My first carry gun was a 1911 and I was taught that it had to have a minimum of 300 rounds to break it in. I always shoot a minimum of 300 rounds through anything I intend to carry, and if it malfunctions, more. I also tell my students that they should never carry a gun that they aren't sure will work. I do this for anything that will be used for SD on my person or night stand regardless of the manufacturer. Why on earth would someone trust their life to something untested.

Second, how could you possibly be ready to defend yourself when the SHTF if you don't train or practice with what you carry. Even if you have multiples of the same model, that doesn't mean that they will function or aim the same.

How much do you shoot the gun you carry?
    Mike1956 likes this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "How much do you shoot the gun you carry?"

At least every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post

I shoot it once a week. I train with it 3-5 times a year. You are right in asking the question, how can you trust the weapon if you havent used it or trained with it. My guess is, some really do not think training is necessary. There a good shot at the range, and that should work in a self defense situation.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    Well, I admit to falling into this category. When my Taurus TCP 738 broke down I sent it off for repair. Then I went down to the store and bought another TCP and took it to the range. I put 25 rounds through it and then figured I'd carried it for a week until my other one was fixed. Then my original TCP came back and for some reason I just can't trust it. I have actually put 150 rounds through the original one since it has come back from repair and it works flawlessly now. But I can't explain the feeling I get when I look at one gun that has failed me in the past, vs. another one that has never failed. So I am still carrying the new one that has only had 25 rounds through it, when logically I should be carrying the repaired one which I have recently put 150 rounds through.

I should mention that I only carry the TCP about once a week as my primary carry gun is a Glock and it gets quite a lot of use. But these little pocket pistols are not fun to shoot and so I don't really shoot them much.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    I'm assuming that your initial questions are more rhetorical in nature, so I'll only address your last question in two parts:

How often do I practice shooting my EDC? - once to twice per month

How many rounds to I shoot per outing? - 50 to 100 rounds.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

To scare the bad guys with. Its the next step up after trying their angry face on them.

Michael
    CountryGal likes this.

adric22,

You must have confidence in what you carry. If your trust cannot be placed in your CCW you would be foolish to carry it. That being said, get to the range and let your new gun prove to you that it is reliable.

I agree that small guns are uncomfortable to shoot, but the worst thing that could happen is you need it to go bang and all you get is click. That click could be fatal.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

I shoot every week,I shoot my carry gun at least once a month,putting a minimum of 100 rounds thru it.Believe it or not there are many new gun owners that have never fired a gun before,that assume that every gun sold will function flawlessly right out of the box so they load the mag and put it in the drawer or in their holster and carry it.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Firearms made today don't need the breaking in like they used to.

That being said, putting in X number of rounds is now done not so that the gun is broken in, but so that the owner of the gun becomes familiar with the workings of the gun.

We still need to become familiar with our firearms in order to know them so we trust them. It did not take long for me to put 100+ rounds through my new S&W. I have a 1" grouping at 10 yards, and am working on my proficiency beyond that.

I'm only doing that because my revolver is a trail/SD gun. I want to be accurate up to 50 yards. The gun is that accurate, but I am still getting my proficiency down to make a better grouping at that range, and beyond.

Weekly practice. Every now and then I pull something out of the safe for some 'exercise', and it's amazing how non-proficient you can become with a firearm if you don't practice with it regularly.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Because it's a Glock.

(Someone had to say it!)
    Yankeejib and gunsnroses like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Is this the monthly thread were all the guys claim their monthly/yearly regime is the minimum standard for concealed carry, and everyone who does less is a fool?

There are lots of stories out there of little old ladies defending themselves successfully with some partly rusted 1940s revolver.

I'm not saying that's the best plan - just posting the obvious.

So, rather than have this standard posting exercise, I'd like some of you pros to post what you believe the absolute minimum standards of training are for non-LEO concealed carriers. Let's at least make this interesting....
    cammo, Magnum, baren and 1 others like this.

I did not see anything in the OP's question asking for standards. He only asked the question why.
    My answer given above while partly in jest is an actual reply from some I have discussed this with. I know one lady who carries an unloaded weapon in her purse.

Michael

Because the average service life on a hi-point is about 64.3 rounds.

I stopped asking myself long ago why people do the things they do. Have you ever just sat in a public place and watched the things people do in public? Some of it is truly inexplicable.

I train with my firearms regularly, I have enough rounds through them that I trust them. MY life is very valuable to me, so I take appropriate actions. But if other people want to do their own thing, that's their call, I tend to not worry about it.
    HoganLongfellow likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A hand gun is a simple tool and meaningful practice makes for a better performance. Have you ever tried to build a box or a picture frame with a simple mitre box and a hand saw and a hand drill? It's square, and it works, but there's gaps, and it's just not quite correct. Yet, when someone more adept at carpentry skills does it, it's perfect. It's the same thing with anything: playing the clarinet, baking bread, serving a tennis ball, keeping wives happy. Those who practice more are better at it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links