EDC for My Girlfriend (Kahr P380 or Walther PPK)?

This is a discussion on EDC for My Girlfriend (Kahr P380 or Walther PPK)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tts She likes and shot best with the P238, although it jammed 1/10 rounds on her. I've read people having all kinds ...

View Poll Results: Kahr P380 vs Walther PPK for CC?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kahr P380

14 30.43%
  • Walther PPK

9 19.57%
  • Other (please explain)

23 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: EDC for My Girlfriend (Kahr P380 or Walther PPK)?

Quote Originally Posted by tts View Post
    She likes and shot best with the P238, although it jammed 1/10 rounds on her. I've read people having all kinds of problems with some P238s, others have none at all.

?
    Dont forget that grip can have some affect on that in semi-autos. May take some experience and familiarity.

OTOH, if she's been shooting rifles all her life, that may not be an issue for her. It tends to be kind of a confidence thing.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Two things to consider on the p238. First could it have been operator error, limp wrist on an early round? Second since it was a range rental they do not usually get the best care and cleaning so especially in a small gun with tight tolerances it can effect reliable performance.

I let her try my 442, she didn't like the heavy trigger pull.
    The PPKs DA trigger is notoriously heavy and rough for the first shot and some shooters have a hard time with the transition from DA to SA. The J frame trigger is easy to work on and smooth up. The PPK is much harder to do and it's harder to find a gunsmith that works on them.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Took my girlfriend to the range today to help her pick a new EDC gun to CC. Obviously, being female presents special challenges in terms of concealment (smaller body, tiny pockets, etc.). She shot a variety of compact guns including the Glock 26, Ruger LCP, and Sig Sauer P238.

She likes and shot best with the P238, although it jammed 1/10 rounds on her. I've read people having all kinds of problems with some P238s, others have none at all.

She's considering other viable alternatives, what do you guys think between the Kahr P380 vs the Walther PPK?
    My wife bought a P238. She has about a 100 rounds through it now, I have about 200 through it, all failure free. We've shot a clip load of about everything you can imagine through it and not had a problem.

The initial production run of P238's had some issues. SIG went through a significant upgrade program to fix it, and they did. The range rental may have been one of the initial production run.

Anyway, I highly recommend the P238. It has excellent sights, a decent trigger, the easiest to rack slide I've ever seen, variety of holsters available, mature design, and it's actually pleasant to shoot. My wife's reaction to her first round was "that's soooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeet!"

Edited to add: We've also had some first time shooters shoot it and it has never malfunctioned with any of them either.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I cannot comment on the Walther but I have owned both the Sig and the Kahr. The Sig shot 600 or so trouble free rounds, most comfortable .380 I have ever shot. On the other hand, the Kahr had a jam on 1 out of every 5-6 rounds. The store offered to send it back to Kahr our give me full price paid towards another gun (which I put towards the Sig).

Voted other----my other loves her PM9

Took my girlfriend to the range today to help her pick a new EDC gun to CC. Obviously, being female presents special challenges in terms of concealment (smaller body, tiny pockets, etc.). She shot a variety of compact guns including the Glock 26, Ruger LCP, and Sig Sauer P238.

She's considering other viable alternatives, what do you guys think between the Kahr P380 vs the Walther PPK?
    I'm not sure that just being female would require her to carry a much smaller gun. Ask Lima about this. My wife carries an XD .40 sub compact every day and she conceals it just fine.

Check into a CW9 or even the CM9. Full 9mm power in a small thin gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    My wife bought a P238. She has about a 100 rounds through it now, I have about 200 through it, all failure free. We've shot a clip load of about everything you can imagine through it and not had a problem.

The initial production run of P238's had some issues. SIG went through a significant upgrade program to fix it, and they did. The range rental may have been one of the initial production run.

Anyway, I highly recommend the P238. It has excellent sights, a decent trigger, the easiest to rack slide I've ever seen, variety of holsters available, mature design, and it's actually pleasant to shoot. My wife's reaction to her first round was "that's soooooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeet!"

Edited to add: We've also had some first time shooters shoot it and it has never malfunctioned with any of them either.

Fitch
    That's good to know! I suspect the range does have one of those earlier models. I read all kinds of talk in the forums about people having problems -- they were all dated 2008-2009 which supports your point. Glad the problems are ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    I cannot comment on the Walther but I have owned both the Sig and the Kahr. The Sig shot 600 or so trouble free rounds, most comfortable .380 I have ever shot. On the other hand, the Kahr had a jam on 1 out of every 5-6 rounds. The store offered to send it back to Kahr our give me full price paid towards another gun (which I put towards the Sig).
    Your LGS is nicer than mine. Who do you use?

As all have said, let her choose her own. There are so many choices today. The selection is mind boggling. It depends more on what she will actually carry than caliber. Newer shooters tend to want really small and light or they just won't carry it. If she likes the PPK size guns check out the Bersa line of pistols. The carry version in 380 is incredibly comfortable in the hand.

Also the single stack 9mms are extremely popular. Small grip size is a plus if she's got smaller hands.

Good luck on the hunt!
    Question Everything!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links