EDC for My Girlfriend (Kahr P380 or Walther PPK)?

This is a discussion on EDC for My Girlfriend (Kahr P380 or Walther PPK)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my girlfriend to the range today to help her pick a new EDC gun to CC. Obviously, being female presents special challenges in terms ...

View Poll Results: Kahr P380 vs Walther PPK for CC?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kahr P380

14 30.43%
  • Walther PPK

9 19.57%
  • Other (please explain)

23 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: EDC for My Girlfriend (Kahr P380 or Walther PPK)?

EDC for My Girlfriend (Kahr P380 or Walther PPK)?

Took my girlfriend to the range today to help her pick a new EDC gun to CC. Obviously, being female presents special challenges in terms of concealment (smaller body, tiny pockets, etc.). She shot a variety of compact guns including the Glock 26, Ruger LCP, and Sig Sauer P238.

She likes and shot best with the P238, although it jammed 1/10 rounds on her. I've read people having all kinds of problems with some P238s, others have none at all.

She's considering other viable alternatives, what do you guys think between the Kahr P380 vs the Walther PPK?

2. Remove Ads

Let her shoot both and see which is more comfortable. I have a PPK and here are some considerations:

Plus Side: Very easy to conceal, "cool" factor, points very naturally for me, accurate

Minus Side: Heavy compared to alternates, caliber on the low end of what I'm comfortable with, expensive

Good Luck!

Don't spend the money on a gun for her till you've gotten her a 2 day class from a reputable instructor.

It will give her the ability to make her own choices, and maybe they will be different from what you want or think she needs.

Hey, you are in Seattle?

The Firearms Academy of Seattle, Inc.

Poof. Get her training.

I chose other my wife went through some of the same guns and finnaly chose a walther pk380 lightweight very little recoil and dead on accuracy been reliable for 1000 rounds now but i also agree it the previous replies let her take a class and shoot anyof the prospective candidates if possible and make sure she is comfortable not only carrying it but withall of its aspects ie capacit and safeties.

Good point. She's been shooting all her life -- rifles only, though. The pistols she's shot in the past few years have all been mine.

Let her choose what she wants you just show her whats out there. Also let her try a revolver my wife loves her 642 that I tried to talk her out of. Remember it is for her not you so even if she chooses something you don't like she will be happier with what she wants. Purse carry is not the best way to carry but if that is the only way she will carry all the time it is better than leaving it at home. Coronado Leather and Gun Toten Mamas make some nice carry purses. The p380 is available in pink if she would rather have a pink gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mj40p View Post
    Let her choose what she wants you just show her whats out there. Also let her try a revolver my wife loves her 642 that I tried to talk her out of. Remember it is for her not you so even if she chooses something you don't like she will be happier with what she wants. Purse carry is not the best way to carry but if that is the only way she will carry all the time it is better than leaving it at home. Coronado Leather and Gun Toten Mamas make some nice carry purses. The p380 is available in pink if she would rather have a pink gun.
    I let her try my 442, she didn't like the heavy trigger pull.

As others have mentioned, it's best to rent or try every gun you can.

I strongly suggest you try out a bodyguard 380, it's my edc and I'm a smaller guy, and it works out great. Concealable under anything, and comfortable. It shoots great, and has the built in laser as well.

Nate

Sent from Nates Droid X

Let her choose. Rent, borrow at the range, etc, every make/model you can and let her decide what she is comfortable with.
    Her initial interests may be a PPK but she may after a while change her mind and want a Ruger LCP or Sig 238, or even a 9mm.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

In that size .380, I like the Sig P-232 stainless with night sights and Hogue grips better. I've got a PPK/S. The Sig is a far superior gun. The night sights make it easier to acquire the target. The Hogue grips help with the snappy recoil. The fit and finish are superior to the PPK/S. If you buy one of the new PPK's or PPK/S's made by Smith & Wesson, it comes with a one year warranty. The Sig still has a lifetime guarantee.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

PK380 would be a better choice vs. a PPK.

PK380 is locked breech vs. blowback design = lower felt recoil and much easier to rack

PK380 has 3-dot sights vs. post and notch. IMO, the sights on a Bodyguard 380 are terrible.

PK380 has a much better grip, is lighter‎ and cheaper

With a PK380 you will not get the notorious Walther slide bite

Once ya take some classes, your perspective on defensive arms changes a lot. At least mine did.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

There's a couple of places in the area that have a good selection of guns to rent and try out....if interested (and dont know) ping me privately.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links