Defensive Carry banner

Ohio Car Carry Question

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Falsemap 
#1 ·
It appears that yesterday when I carried in Ohio in a car I was doing it incorrectly. I definitely don't want to be doing that, especially in Ohio.

Can one of you guys from Ohio clarify exactly what the law means by in plain sight, but on your person? Maybe I just didn't grasp the law correctly when I looked it over (I thought it meant plain sight in the car itself).

P.S. Please get this law changed, it's dumb. :stups:

#2 ·
Plain Sight

There are a limited number of ways to carry a firearm in a car legally in Ohio.
1. On your person, in a holster.
2. In a locked glove compartment. (even a locked console is NOT legal.)
3. In a locked container in plain sight.

Plain sight is not defined in the law regarding what holsters or carry positions are legal.

We are trying to get it changed. HB 347 takes away the plain sight provision and will hopefully be passed this fall or winter. WE HOPE !

#3 ·
So, that means that in a holster within a vehicle is fine as long as the holster is visible?

I've read the laws, but it's just not very specific. I'm not a dumb guy (I'd like to think), but this one has me stumped. I'd rather not call the state of Ohio if possible because I can just imagine the person I'll have to talk to.

#5 ·
The holster must be ON YOUR PERSON, not on the seat or dashboard.
The test is to see that if you exit the vehicle will the gun and holster still be with you. Some mentioned that attaching the holster to the seat belt, but if you step out of the car the firearm will be left in the car, a No No.

It cannot be concealed though. Correct?

#6 ·
The fun part is magically concealing it when you step out of the vehicle. There must be a slight bit of time during that transition where the law is broken!!!

I know, I am being picky.

You are correct Sammy, it cannot be concealed when it is on you.

#7 ·
Thanks much. From what I've read it's more or less up to each officer, so I'm guessing that just tucking your shirt in behind a IWB holster is not going to cut it with everyone? Man, I won't be going to Ohio again anytime soon. :gah:

#8 · (Edited)
Visible

CORRECT. It must be plainly visible. I carry a 3 " 1911 in a C-T.A.C., IWB holster. The gun is plainly visible from the passenger side. You can't guess which side a LEO will approach from.

I do what is called the "Buckeye Tuck" which is putting your cover garment behind your firearm and when I exit the vehicle, I untuck and cover the pistol to concealed status again.

Remember, you are also required to inform a LEO that you are carrying, and even if you're not, it's a good idea. They can check your status when they run your plates or license, for Ohio residents.

A good place to get Ohio questions answered is the OFCC (Ohioans for Concealed Carry) forum at :

http://ohioccwforums.org/

#9 ·
Thanks again for all the help. I don't want to make that mistake again. As far as informing LEO's, that's not an issue, I already do it out of courtesy. I appreciate it, both of you.

#11 ·
The above posts are correct: we here in Ohio must carry either in a "Plain View Holster" with said holster attached to our person; or in a locked container, said container in plain view. This was one of the Poison Pill Provisions intended to deep-six the bill. God willing, we'll get Ohio's "Stupid Law" changed!

#12 ·
Just to clarify...,attaching your holster to your seatbelt would NOT be in compliance with Ohio's law. It has to be on a person's person in plain sight. In which, Ohio does not have "plain sight" defined. We're working on getting it fixed. God willing, with a new pro-gun Gov. in January, we will get some of the ridiculous things fixed!

#13 ·
I'm finding that I'm a bit more paranoid about "plain sight" car carry than most. We have two SUVs with bucket seats and big center consoles. Even when I do the "Buckeye Tuck", my IWB at 3:30-4:00 sure isn't very visible.

Even though I hate unnecessary handling of a firearm, my car routine goes like this:

1) Put keys in cupholder.
2) Take 1911 out of Milt Sparks VM2
3) Put 1911 in cheap Fobus Paddle Holster
4) Put Paddle Holster in front pants pocket
5) Retrieve keys, curse stupid legislators, and start car.

Some people may say I take it too far, but I'm not risking it.

#14 ·
I doubt it!!!

I am pretty paranoid about it too. My wife has her CCW but refuses to carry because of the law.

We need some changes....and need to start with getting our wimpy govonor Shaft out of there.

#15 ·
The only way I can make the Buckeye Tuck work is with an OWB, sliding it on my belt to the front of my body when I get in the car. I still haven't figured out how to make IWB work. I have bucket seats also and have to reposition the gun to make it visible which is real hard to do with an IWB. I can't wait for winter when all this will be complicated by even more clothing. His as we all know is a really stupid law and needs to be changed. It's inviting trouble for all of us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.